Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 04:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

Fertility rates are dropping globally. That is the current trend, even in Africa, which has the highest ones in the world. Places like Pakistan and Bangladesh have experienced huge population growth, in part because of religion (the same applies to India).

Western countries , including the US, are below replacement level. The only way they can grow their numbers is via immigration. If that growth happens too quickly, it will lead to a reduction in QOL, as there won’t be enough jobs to accommodate those numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 11:06 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I get tired pointing out that population density in the US is relatively low, like less than 10% of Belgium or Holland.
The belief that the ideal population of the US is ~200 million which is roughly what it was before immigration laws were changed in 1966 has become a mantra among millions.

If the entire population of the US moved to Louisiana we would have a similar population density as Bangladesh.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:54 PM

861 posts, read 865,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Not that impressive compared to Indian subcontinent

Pakistan Population
58.14 million (1970)
216.6 million (2019)

More than 158 million increase in just 50 years.

340,509 sq mi -Pakistan
268,596 sq mi -Texas

India Population
555 million (1970)
1,366 million (2019)

More than 810 million increase in just 50 years.

3,120,426 sq mi -Lower 48 states:
1,269,219 sq mi -India
How is being among the poorest countries on the planet impressive? No thanks.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
US population
1970 203,211,926
2020 329,484,123

More than 125 million increase in just 50 years. Increase in land - nada.
That is a 62% increase in just 50 years.

China
1970 827,601,394
2020 1,070,440,557
More than 243 million increase or 29% in just 50 years.

Hungary
1970 10,366,105
2020 9,660,351
More than 705 thousand decrease of -7% in just 50 years.

There are nations growing a much slower rate percentagewise, or actually decreasing in population.

Zero Population Growth has it's own issues as the median age gets older and older.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I keep hearing all of these claims that the US needs young immigrants to help take care of our aging population, but what makes people think these immigrants will want to? They may decide to vote to decrease social security and Medicare, after all, their parents aren't here to benefit from it so what are they getting out of it?

I think these expectations of immigrants coming here and paying taxes for our Medicare and wiping our old asses are pretty far fetched.

Old 04-24-2021, 01:39 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I keep hearing all of these claims that the US needs young immigrants to help take care of our aging population, but what makes people think these immigrants will want to? They may decide to vote to decrease social security and Medicare, after all, their parents aren't here to benefit from it so what are they getting out of it?

I think these expectations of immigrants coming here and paying taxes for our Medicare and wiping our old asses are pretty far fetched.
Immigrants today want the same things that immigrants of previous generations wanted: A better life and a better chance for their children to grow up and study to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, musicians, accountants, architects, designers, etc. Just like the immigrant ancestors of most people living in the U.S.A. today. I'm sure that no immigrants anywhere, ever, wanted to wipe anybody's "old asses" -- but they're willing to do so in order to give their children a better chance at success -- as well as contribute to the continuing success of our still relatively young nation. Just as your own immigrant ancestors did.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:10 PM

62,868 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Matt Yglesias has written a book titled One Billion Americans. I've not read the book. The basic premise is larger families and more immigration to juice the population in order to maintain US hegemony, primarily against the rise of China.

As an immigrant myself, I'm broadly in favor of the idea. In a typical year the US issues 1M+/- green cards, divided roughly 50/50 between students already here who want to stay, and new arrivals. Between 6-8M a year apply for green cards, and the 1M noted are granted.

The last major immigration reform was in 1963. I once calculated that if everyone who applied since then had been granted, they plus their offspring, would have the country close to 1B today.
Keep in mind that the US is one of the least densely populated countries in the world, and could easily support 1B.
Vote early and often

Here's an interview with the author.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...lion-americans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

https://www.worldometers.info/world-...on-by-country/
I vementely disagree. We don't need more people in our country and a less dense population is healthier for all. You need to learn what ariable land space is to.

https://www.susps.org/

Old 04-30-2021, 07:16 PM

62,868 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Immigrants today want the same things that immigrants of previous generations wanted: A better life and a better chance for their children to grow up and study to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, musicians, accountants, architects, designers, etc. Just like the immigrant ancestors of most people living in the U.S.A. today. I'm sure that no immigrants anywhere, ever, wanted to wipe anybody's "old asses" -- but they're willing to do so in order to give their children a better chance at success -- as well as contribute to the continuing success of our still relatively young nation. Just as your own immigrant ancestors did.
Legal immigration in measured numbers of whom we actually need while keeping population growth in mind should be our desired immigration policy. Foreigners need to fix their own countries so they have opportunities there. We cannot be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world. Many immigrants coming here today do not want to assimilate into our society and tend be poor so they end up being a burden to our society and poverty begets poverty. Most do not produce kids who end up being skilled professionals but compete with Americans for blue-collared jobs. Those in the IT industry have done the same.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:23 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I'm curious to know why the OP is only looking at America? Sadly, these types of questions ARE being analyzed at more of an elite, global level and unfortunately their goal is depopulation, massive depopulation. Increasing population is not in their realm of thinking at all.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:12 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'm curious to know why the OP is only looking at America? Sadly, these types of questions ARE being analyzed at more of an elite, global level and unfortunately their goal is depopulation, massive depopulation. Increasing population is not in their realm of thinking at all.
Because the book cited in the OP was exclusively about US....and the US is one of the least densely populated countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates