Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times

Advertisements

How about Jesse Ventura as Pres (as he already has political experience) and The Rock as VP?

Other ideas in the making/makeup for this: Clint Eastwood and Ah Nuld ?

Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
How about Jesse Ventura as Pres (as he already has political experience) and The Rock as VP?

Other ideas in the making/makeup for this: Clint Eastwood and Ah Nuld ?

Arnold is DQed (Not natural born) and Eastwood.. You do realize he's 90, right? Almost 91. I mean, looks to be in good shape, but we're having a fit over Biden's age and Eastwood has him beat pretty bad.

I meant to post this before.. There's only 2 people who are DQed for not being native born that I can think of who seriously could have considered a presidential run.. Yes, Arnold being one of them.. The other being Henry Kissinger. There was some legit talk about it back in the day.

If Jesse was elected, at least you know he'd release all the UFO and conspiracy files that might exist.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:56 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
If the presidency is a dog and pony show for mass media, it makes perfect sense to elect popular stars as commanders in chief.
. . .
Personally, I'd prefer candidates that had spent a few years in military service, so as not to make foolish civilian mistakes. On the other hand, veterans are no guarantee of wisdom and leadership (Jimmy Carter comes to mind).
. . .
It would also be great if the candidate knew what the republican form of government was - that in which all men are born equal before the law (none higher) and have Creator endowed rights that governments were instituted to secure - and nothing more without consent of the governed.

Too many think we're a democracy - a vile form in which a majority can legally persecute a minority.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:32 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,523,271 times
You do realize I was kidding, right? Hence my
Yes, he’s still in pretty decent shape. His memory might
be better than those younger than he is too.

I can see the reasoning behind the DQ’d. Sometimes a plus/sometimes a -.

I saw an interview with Gene Simmons and Dan Rather and many issues Gene really does an American proud.
Yea, other than the bragging and long ass tongue (lol), he does have some business acumen. If Trump and he (Gene) started off with the same amount of money, I wonder if at the end of a year, who would end up with more $?

By the way, I probably would have voted for Kissinger. I’m not flipping out on Biden’s age. It’s the other things surrounding it that one might worry about. Choices were limited on both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Arnold is DQed (Not natural born) and Eastwood.. You do realize he's 90, right? Almost 91. I mean, looks to be in good shape, but we're having a fit over Biden's age and Eastwood has him beat pretty bad.

I meant to post this before.. There's only 2 people who are DQed for not being native born that I can think of who seriously could have considered a presidential run.. Yes, Arnold being one of them.. The other being Henry Kissinger. There was some legit talk about it back in the day.

If Jesse was elected, at least you know he'd release all the UFO and conspiracy files that might exist.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:24 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Something else I forgot to mention in my other post on this topic...Many people believe Hollywood celebrities are 'charismatic', but with many of them, that is only the 'character' they play for the public, they are nothing like that in real life.

Jenifer Lawrence is a good example, I am close friends with her aunt and uncle, she is NOTHING like the way she is depicted on TV or in movies...not even close!
In a good or bad way?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:27 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Why not we had Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both actors who performed reasonably well in both national and state politics. And seriously most successful politicians are consummate actors pushing a particular political point of view to a national audience.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:03 PM

197 posts, read 124,731 times
This thread is mostly a sad testament to the state of the American electorate. What is Mr. Johnson's philosophy when it comes to judicial appointees? Science and its role in education and governance? The criminal justice system? The balance of voting and election security? The role of American power abroad? Except for a tangential tweet that one or two of you might recall, none of you know. And mostly, those mere details are irrelevant to you. Mr. Johnson's appeal is that he's ripped and that he mugs for the camera in an entertaining way, so by God he would surely be a great President! At least, so long as 'great' simply means 'entertaining'.

Also, I want to take issue with the comparison of Johnson and Ronald Reagan. Now, I am not a fan of much of what constituted Reagan's politics. But he was not an actor who ran for President. Rather, he was a former actor with a well-established political career who was elected President in 1980.

Reagan's last acting roles came in 1965, with a few episodes of Death Valley Days. His final film role was in 1964, but he was only in five films in the last decade of his acting career, and only two of those were starring roles. In the decade prior to his Death Valley Days swan song, Reagan's television career consisted of just ten episodes - one episode per year. Reagan became involved in political activity in the early 1940s with his leadership of SAG. Later, he campaigned for candidates for office (Truman in 1948; Nixon's Senate opponent in 1950). As his screen career declined he was focused primarily on political issues, opposing such things as Medicare and the Peace Corps. I'm not saying he was right on these issues, but he actually had an opinion and worked on them. He was a major surrogate for the Goldwater campaign in 1964, then was elected Governor of California in 1966. He ran for President in 1968 (losing the GOP nomination to Nixon) and then was reelected as Governor in 1970. In 1976, he again ran for President and failed to dislodge Ford atop the ticket. In short, he had spent the better part of forty years steeping himself in politics and issues. He had learned the political process.

And Mr. Johnson? He's a pretend wrestler who figured out that he could make even more money pretending (I won't call it 'acting' because it ... just isn't) to be other things in front of cameras. In other words, by the time Reagan was Mr. Johnson's age, he had nearly two decades of political involvement under his belt, and would be looking at another two decades of nearly full-time politicking before becoming President.

Let me know when Mr. Johnson articulates a substantive opinion on something. Then let me know when he spends a decade or so immersing himself in policy and politics. Until then, this is just baseless wishful thinking and fawning celebrity-worship.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:52 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Where does this bizarre idea come from that people with zero experience in governing should hold the most consequential office in the country? And an entertainer to boot?

Old 04-18-2021, 07:31 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Where does this bizarre idea come from that people with zero experience in governing should hold the most consequential office in the country? And an entertainer to boot?
It comes from the kind of infatuation and idealization of entertainment personalities that leads to a delusional belief that one truly "knows" the person whom one sees on one's screen. In such instances, the entertainment personality takes on Messianic qualities in the minds of his admirers.

These same fans, who can tell you numerous details about their celebrity idol while they profess to have an astute understanding of government, are often unable to tell you the names of their local elected representatives in their congressional and assembly districts.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:59 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times
I can't believe people are serious about The Rock. Who are these lobotomized halfwits? You'd think we learned something fresh off our experience with having a celebrity president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.