Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 01:38 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,489,372 times

Advertisements

I've seen videos and videos explaining why natural gas stoves are dangerous. I would agree that gas is dangerous, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and explosion. But we all know this, but why now?
I never saw a single explanation that using gas stove or oven requires having the range hood turned on to exhaust the gas fumes especially when the windows are closed. The gas dryer has an exhaust vent and so should cooking with gas. In this PBS video the families in the video were ignorant, they never knew that cooking with gas requires using the range hood to vent the gas fumes. They were glad that they got switched to electrical cooktop. Which is nice thing to have

Why these government officials keep pushing us towards electricity when the rates are going up. One look at my electricity bill, I'm charged $88 for electrical generation. WTF? I thought we are using clean solar renewable there should be no charge on generation.

I like energy diversification, when the grid shutsdown. I can still cook and shower with hot water using gas and heat the home using wood and propane.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:43 PM

15,140 posts, read 7,169,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I've seen videos and videos explaining why natural gas stoves are dangerous. I would agree that gas is dangerous, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and explosion. But we all know this, but why now?
I never saw a single explanation that using gas stove or oven requires having the range hood turned on to exhaust the gas fumes especially when the windows are closed. The gas dryer has an exhaust vent and so should cooking with gas. In this PBS video the families in the video were ignorant, they never knew that cooking with gas requires using the range hood to vent the gas fumes. They were glad that they got switched to electrical cooktop. Which is nice thing to have

Why these government officials keep pushing us towards electricity when the rates are going up. One look at my electricity bill, I'm charged $88 for electrical generation. WTF? I thought we are using clean solar renewable there should be no charge on generation.

I like energy diversification, when the grid shutsdown. I can still cook and shower with hot water using gas and heat the home using wood and propane.
The electrical generation charge is to pay for the equipment that creates the renewable energy from wind or solar. Windmills and solar panels aren't free.

I've known for decades that gas appliances create indoor pollution. My Uncle who had gas space heaters always shut them off at night for that reason.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The electrical generation charge is to pay for the equipment that creates renewable energy from wind or solar. Windmills and solar panels aren't free.

I've known for decades that gas appliances create indoor pollution. My Uncle who had gas space heaters always shut them off at night for that reason.
The media and the EPA insinuate that gas odor is toxic and dangerous to our health after some 60 years since gas stove has been used in homes worldwide. It's noting new and they didn't stop gas stoves back then why now.

On the record, I do cook with electricity most of the time using my air fryer but gas oven and cook top is still solid and safe as long as venting is used.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,221,880 times
Yes, the electrical rates are going up because it's become a cash cow for the providers, with the government trying to get everyone to give up ICE cars and natural gas appliances. It will continue to go up even more as they have to build more infrastructure to handle the additional load. Already the "financial benefit" of the electric vehicle is starting to go away.

https://www.autonews.com/mobility-re...ing-study-says

https://www.yahoo.com/now/electric-s...150000536.html

Old 02-08-2023, 01:57 PM

50,205 posts, read 23,838,485 times
To doubters...would you voluntarily breathe in natural gas?

But I have a bigger problem with that with natural gas. All those pipes to deliver it to individual homes seems impractical to me. Better to have electrical generating plants use natural gas.

Plus, there are some pretty horrendous accidents with natural gas.

Old 02-08-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To doubters...would you voluntarily breathe in natural gas?

But I have a bigger problem with that with natural gas. All those pipes to deliver it to individual homes seems impractical to me. Better to have electrical generating plants use natural gas.

Plus, there are some pretty horrendous accidents with natural gas.
I don't disagree at all with the dangers but not enough cases and it's not the cooking that is the biggest need, majority of Laundromats and home laundry machines use gas.

I cook most of the time with electricity because it's faster, economical, and safer.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:13 PM

23,880 posts, read 32,163,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

There is no concerted "attack on natural gas". This isn't news to anyone. It's well known that natural gas is an indoor pollutant. People have been encouraged to make sure that when cooking with a gas stove, there is adequate ventilation, a range hood and a fan.

I know what you mean about "energy diversification." If one source of power is out, at least you can rely on another. I get that.

These warnings, like so many others, are probably not directed at those of us who are aware and awake. Some people rent their apartments and homes, and there is no ventilation of any sort. Others are just not the sharpest tools in the shed, if you will, and may be reminded that cooking with natural gas has some dangers and certain precautions must be observed. Some of these folks also heat their homes with gas stoves to save money, or in case of an electrical blackout. I am sure that you are aware of the dangers involved with using a natural gas cooking oven for heat.

Gas cooking and gas heat isn't going anyplace. I love cooking, and electric ranges just can't bat against the cooking with gas. NO ONE is taking away my beloved gas range. I can assure you, that I am not the only other person who feels this way.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,732,641 times
I had propane in my last home and natural gas in my current primary home. In terms of cooking I prefer electric. My current home came with a chef's stove/oven and I had to buy all new cookware to heat the contents properly. Even so, I don't like the way it cooks. This is especially true for the gas oven. My propane stove was gas cooktop and electric oven which I liked better as it provided more even temps for baking.

I do prefer a gas furnace over electric. Despite much improvement in the technology, heat pumps do not work as well and are more costly than gas to heat in the northeast. My friend recently installed the most efficient available low temp heat pump this past fall and has experienced bills that were substantially higher than neighbors with the same home who use propane. Part of this is due to a spike in electric rates (ironically due to increased costs of natural gas for power plants) but the winter has been much warmer than normal so the overall usage is lower than normal as well.

I experimented with my highly-efficient mini-split during the shoulder month of November and saw that my electric usage soared. During December I used my gas furnace instead and the electric bill substantially dropped and the increased cost of gas was much less than my electric usage despite colder temps.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:02 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,062,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To doubters...would you voluntarily breathe in natural gas? But I have a bigger problem with that with natural gas. All those pipes to deliver it to individual homes seems impractical to me. Better to have electrical generating plants use natural gas. Plus, there are some pretty horrendous accidents with natural gas.
As if there aren't with electricity. Thousands die every year due to electrocution. All those pipes are already there and much more reliable than wires that are often getting taken down by weather. We have power outages all the time, pretty much whenever it storms. Usually not for long but we were out 5 days in the big Texas freeze. Not once, ever, have we had a natural gas outage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Gas cooking and gas heat isn't going anyplace. I love cooking, and electric ranges just can't bat against the cooking with gas. NO ONE is taking away my beloved gas range. I can assure you, that I am not the only other person who feels this way.
And you don't see talk about banning gas cooking as an "attack"? What would constitute an attack if not legal bans against it?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-09-2023 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 02-09-2023, 09:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,221,880 times
I had to laugh out loud just now watching the news, when a commercial came on for the Generac whole house generator. With reference to power outages in summer as in California recently due to fire danger, their generators operate on "your natural gas connection." So if the state bans natural gas, these will become big expensive boat anchors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates