Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times

Advertisements

Yes I agree with all of that, as nobody is pure anything. So yes technically we have always had colored presidents, as you cannot be 100% white, black, whatever.

However, the media is choosing NOT to acknowledge him as the First Bi-Racial president because he LOOKS black, but if he looked white, you can bet that he would NEVER be called America's First Black President, even if he chose to indentify himself as Black. Can you imagine the field day the media and our society would have with a "white" man asserting himself as black!

The marginalization of his whiteness is unfortunate, and is all too accepted in our society, as it carries as much equal weight as everyother part of him. So if he asserts that he is America's First Black President, (should he win) it would be a gross betrayal to his parents, his family, and the society he hopes to "unify." The Media, unfortunately, is the media and will do/say whatever to sell papers/get people watching...and "America's First Black President" sells!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,587 times
I tihnk obama wont take care of whites.

I also hate that "YOO GOTTA LEARN SPANISH" thing, if its america why should we learn spanish like wtf?

ENGLISH FTW. SPanish not needed he can go to spain if u ask me both candidates fail.

Obama = too spanish
McCain = Too old.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
FinnishAmerican, where are you getting that from, Fox News or something? Don't believe the hype. No one HAS to learn Spanish, Obama has to take care of the WHOLE country if he is president(no different than others) and not just a segment of it and I don't know what age or this "Spanish thing" has to do with either, per se.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I think Obama is considered black because he looks similar to most black people in this country. And most black in this country have some percentage of white background in their family tree.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 PM

169 posts, read 418,929 times
definately agree guy. His biracialness has confused the media. Is he black? Is he white? I guess they just flipped a coin to determine what they would call him. hmm..

Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM

15 posts, read 31,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
To me he looks like what he is. Black and White.
Grey?!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texags02 View Post
yeah, vote for obama. He really seems to know what he's doing. Yeah, let's just pull out all the troops, just like that. I'm sure he'll "fix the economy" too.
lol

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
definately agree guy. His biracialness has confused the media. Is he black? Is he white? I guess they just flipped a coin to determine what they would call him. hmm..
Does it really make a difference? What's really important is to get the Bush Administration out--and a McCain victory certainly wouldn't accomplish that. It would be nice if people stopped thinking of Obama as the "black candidate" and started thinking of him as the Democratic candidate.

Then again, in 2008 America, I guess I shouldn't expect anything more. It would've been the same thing if Hillary Clinton had enough delegates to take the nomination. History repeats itself--study it a little, and you'll find that something similar happened in 1960 with John Kennedy. He was the first Roman Catholic candidate for President, and the media was filled with insinuations that if he got elected, the Pope would be running the United States.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
****ting on whiteness is PC while ****ting on blackness isn't, so I don't blame him for doing it, there'd be a media circus the other way around. It's kind of sad. Many magazines, like the Village Voice, have house styles that capitalize the adjective "Black" for race but not "white." What's up with that? Do white people feel THAT guilty?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Wait... who decided that it's "politically correct" to talk badly about white people and their culture and customs? It would NOT be politically correct to do so; it's just a little more societally acceptable to do so than to badmouth the culture and customs of black people - and to a lesser extent, other racial, ethnic, and religious minorities. For some reason, people aren't offended when "white people" are criticized. However, when you attack a GROUP of white people like Italians, Jews, etc. then it suddenly becomes less acceptable. I think it goes back to the idea that plain old "vanilla" white people of Anglo-Saxon extraction should feel guilty about events that happened years ago. It's sad that lots of people - even a few young white people that I have known - buy into this. I certainly don't. What good would that do?

Andy: colors like "white" and "black" are not supposed to be capitalized. The three races (Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid) are capitalized and so are words referring to geographic location or culture: "Asian," "Latino," "Arab," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates