U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,673,300 times

Advertisements

Until we as a society recognize that there is no such thing as black or white, people will always reach for the lowest common denominator. Obama looks like what we in America classify as black, therefore he is black. If we all lived in Brazil, he would not be black.

There was a great exhibit on race at the Liberty Science Center, here's a link to the related site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM

175 posts, read 496,973 times
But he will be our first truly African-American president!

Part of Obama's appeal is that he's lived an integrated life, growing up in a white family in Hawaii and as a black adult in Chicago. When it comes to issues of race in this country, we need someone who can lead from a broad prospective. The politics of blame from Jessie and Rev Al don't play well in Peoria!

I agree that race has no scientific meaning. I hope Obama can help lead us away from the false separation of race-based identity politics towards a merit based society.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 PM

396 posts, read 1,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
But he will be our first truly African-American president!
. I hope Obama can help lead us away from the false separation of race-based identity politics towards a merit based society.
So you think Obama is going to do away with affirmative action the way it is set up now? He says so but he is running for president. This is a guy who called his grandmother a racist. He will say anything to get elected. Next week he will probably tell us the moon is made of welfare cheese, that is if he thinks it will get him elected.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM

112 posts, read 293,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
So you think Obama is going to do away with affirmative action the way it is set up now? He says so but he is running for president. This is a guy who called his grandmother a racist. He will say anything to get elected. Next week he will probably tell us the moon is made of welfare cheese, that is if he thinks it will get him elected.
Obama ever said his grandmother was a "racist". Even if he did, what could possibly be wrong with calling her a racist if she really was one?

What are you, a John McCain supporter or some bitter Clinton fan?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 AM

455 posts, read 758,333 times
Both McCain and Obama are empty suit globalists just like Bush.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,713,783 times
Bitterness and cynicism are understandable. But nobody deserves to be called an empty suit in the same sentence as Bush.

I notice that lately, it seems to have become fashionable to make remarks about Obama being shallow. Take a look at the history of the American Presidents. There have been quite a few who didn't show any particular promise during their campaigns, but rose to the challenge once they were in the White House. (One should never forget the story of Chester A. Arthur, considered nothing more than a Tammany Hall hack, and therefore a totally safe choice to run on James Garfield's ticket as Vice President. When Garfield was assassinated and Arthur became President, he completely surprised everyone by pushing the Civil Service Act into law. It cost him his political career, but he did it because he believed it was the right thing to do).

Old 07-18-2008, 07:15 PM

175 posts, read 496,973 times
I don't think Obama will have the power to eliminate affirmative action. But I think his focus on personal responsibility is a giant step in the right direction. Affirmative action is broadly unpopular, and is devolving into an ugly fight among special interests for the spoils. I am confident that it will not survive for another decade - either as a result of popular will or a better reasoned supreme court decision.

I am also very impressed with Obama's intelligence and abilities. The way he listens to the people working on his campaign shows that he has great leadership potential. My concern is that one must be santa claus to be elected - promise everything without figuring out how to pay for it. The real test comes after the election when the tradeoffs have to be made. I don't know whether he will have the backbone to do the unpopular things that need to be done for the public good, but I do have hope for the first time in a long time.

As for Obama's grandmother, does anyone have a grandmother who had a modern view of race? He would not be alone in having a grandmother with false prejudices, and there was nothing wrong in saying so.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yeah...but why must we continue to promote such nonsense? The media continues to push the notion of "America's First Black President" and nobody says WAIT..that is only part of who he is...he is really America's first Bi-Racial/Person of Color President.

I wonder what would happen if he was bi-racial but instead of looking black, he looked/passed for white. He could still be called "America's First Black President" but nobody would assert that....nonetheless it would apply just as much as it does today.

your right guywithacause people dont know that barack obama will not be the first black president when he wins!!! obama 08. but did anyone know this warren g harding parents were black and so was his ancestors he was just a light skinned black man who became the 29th president look it up they have photos and all of his family and him? hmmmmmmmmm i wonder how many more of our presidents are really black or bi-racial we all know what was going on during slavery times so it makes me wonder how many of our presidents were bi-racial?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Obama ever said his grandmother was a "racist". Even if he did, what could possibly be wrong with calling her a racist if she really was one?

What are you, a John McCain supporter or some bitter Clinton fan?

materialism;4502342, you have no idea wtf you are talking about obama never called his grandmother a racist she's the one who raised him you idiot!!!!!! you are a mccain supporter its obvious!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
It really doesnt matter.. since he is not going to win

YOUR RIGHT HIS SKIN COLOR DOSENT MATTER TO SOME OF US! BUT ARE YOU SURE HE'S NOT GOING TO WIN WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE VOTING FOR OBVIOUSLY! I FEEL SORRY FOR THIS COUNTRY IF MCCAIN WINS WE ALL MIGHT AS WELL SHOOT OURSELVES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or