U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,115,857 times

Advertisements

I have been reluctant to post my thoughts here, but I figure why not..

First of all, the United States, is, and has been since the late 80's the world's only Superpower. As with every Superpower, and even with every Empire of the past, dependence on foreign resources is natural. Coupled to that fact is the rapid rise of Globalization over the past 30 years or so. The easily accessible world market, coupled with advanced communication networks have allowed us opportunities that were not available to us in the past.

The United States is dependent on a lot of foreign resources, and a lot of countries rely on US exports (mainly food related) to stay afloat. Unfortunately when our Imports far exceed out Exports, we start to get inflation as well as outsourcing.

The US also has heavy Union presence, which discourages most new industry from being built here (aside from in the South). It is natural for business to seek international customers, and because the US is a capitalist nation, we have a far greater number of companies that need to expand their markets. As such, the combined efforts of a plethora of countries cannot possibly equal that volume.

In the past, Imperialism was never viewed as completely bad. Take the British Empire, while they did abuse power, they helped establish infrastructure and education in places that would have never gotten it through any other means (India, South Africa, etc.). Granted, the US isn't even a fraction as Imperialistic as past nations have been, just look at a Pre-World War I map if you need proof on that one.

Hope I didn't drift too off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM

13,723 posts, read 25,301,104 times
I think we might be at the point of no return as far as globalism goes. Both major parties are betrothed to it - their respective special interests wouldn't make as much money otherwise. Anything that costs more to make and is normally taken for granted to be much cheaper is not going to yield the same profit margins. Wal-Mart sells cheap TVs from China and makes a killing. They'd make less selling ones made in America. People focus on oil and energy independence when we're a dependent country in most sectors of the economy anymore. We even import cheap labor. Notice how immigration has been hardly touched in the back-and-forth between the McCain and Obama camps? Every side has an interest in the status quo.

It's really not a matter of being "for" or "against" globalism at this point. It's like being "for" or "against" erosion.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,234,062 times
The problem that I see is that big Government has made it difficult, if not impossible for new businesses to start and grow. It takes so much money to find a location and then comply with regulations designed to limit competition. All for the privelege of being taxed by a beurocracy so complicated that nobody can comply with it fully. The big Government has allowed the top corporations to do as they please while working against smaller, more competitive industries. This is even true of farming, it was relatively easy to start a farm in 1800-1900 but as the 20'th century and the Government controlled economy was developed, the cost of land skyrocketed. The debt-fueled economy causes inflation which requires more resources each year just to keep up. We will continue to consume foreign products and resources until they tire of our IOU's and lose interest in our properties.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Tallrick makes a good point.
I posted this in P and C and it disappeared, but I thought it was worth looking at:
Where our natural gas goes (http://wyden.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=302677& - broken link)
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Citing projections that natural gas will cost Americans an average of 22% more this winter than last, U.S. Senator Ron Wyden asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to review and revoke the Department of Energy’s recent order authorizing the export of 98.1 billion cubic feet of Alaskan natural gas -- enough gas to meet the needs of 1.4 million American families -- to Japan other Pacific Rim countries.
“It is hard to see how the Department concluded that the proposed export of Alaskan natural gas met the required public interest test with regard to either Alaskan or lower-48 energy needs,” wrote Wyden. “For the Department to categorically reject an opportunity to provide additional supplies of energy to American consumers, both in Alaska and on the West Coast at a time of record energy prices, and instead let these companies send that energy to overseas markets, demands a Secretarial-level review.”

Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,404 times
Another possible source is most universities and institutions here is turned into incredibly disfunctional. The initial idea of institution is to advance a civilization not to join darker examples of the society, well everybody knows what is happening around universities here. Consequently many advanced ideas die within our institutions. So we are "drinking" century old liquid through outside control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates