Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 03:00 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"In any case, the USA has plenty of gun control laws already in place. We don't need any more."

Right, but the Commonwealth of Virginia didn't agree with you after the Va. Tech shooting, so they changed their laws regarding restrictions on allowing those under mental health care to qualify to get a gun.

Keep trying.
I don't have to "try". Currently I legally own guns. It's those of you who want more repressive governmental regulation that have to "try".

Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

71 posts, read 206,609 times
I don't own any guns, but I want to.

Should we require permits for hammers too?

YouTube - Raw Video: Vicious Hammer Attack on Subway

Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Please explain?

Japan-Japanese Knife Attack Killer May Have Posted Warnings

Japan has one of the most strict gun control laws and for that matter weapons control laws in the world.

At some point you just have to realize the people that commit crimes like that will do it with a spoon......you can't put rational thinking on irrational people.
interesting. seems like knife attacks are the popular way to make a point in japan. why do you suppose that they are using knives? to me it seems fairly obvious--because they don't own guns. once you take away their knives, as it seems the government is (or was) contemplating, then they'll have to adopt the hammer and baseball bat strategy of the last post...

Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
First of all I have to correct you, the M-16 is a fully automatic weapon, and it is currently covered under the 1980's ban on automatic weapons. The civilian version is called the AR-15, it is a semi automatic weapon. It houses a very small caliber round compared to other types of weapons that are readily available.

second.

Malls are "gun free zones" why should these malls require metal detectors if everyone is not allowed go carry guns? He was a criminal first, by not only stealing his uncles firearm, but for carrying in an area that is deemed "gun free"
Bravo!

Here in Maine, you can open carry a handgun everywhere except a barroom, school, court or federal building.

As for the M-16, a nominal fee and a little paperwork to the Feds, takes care of that nicely. I live right down the road from the home of Sir Hiram Maxim, inventor of the modern machine gun.

1787 Nov. 13. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." (to W. S. Smith, B.12.356) Thomas Jefferson.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Please explain?

Japan-Japanese Knife Attack Killer May Have Posted Warnings

Japan has one of the most strict gun control laws and for that matter weapons control laws in the world.

At some point you just have to realize the people that commit crimes like that will do it with a spoon......you can't put rational thinking on irrational people.
approx 40% of USA homocides are by puncture wounds. not related to firearms at all. why the huge push for disarming citizens?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
I have no clue.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
People fear and try to control aspects of life that they do not understand. I would be willing to bet that most of those in favor of more restrictuve gun laws have not been around them, shot them, grown up in a home where there were guns and proper safety precautions were taught.

I grew up in a Marine Corp home and learned to shoot a gun at 6 years old. My brother and I never dreamed of going into the gun cabinet and "playing" with any of the guns.

My children have been taught gun safety and three of them know how to shoot. Two of them shoot skeet, trap and wobble with me and I know they are very astute to safety issues.

My husband and I have a gun safe with the biometric lock on it, have taught our children gun safety and they have taken the gun safety course...why should more gun control be imposed on us?

Last April we had an attempted home invasion at our home at approximately 12:15 am..my dog growled, I saw the person at one of our doors and I got my .38 and called the police. By the time I reached the door the person was running off. The police officers came to the house and walked the property looking for the person.

The officers told us they wished more people had guns and were able to protect themselves because many times by the time the police are dispatched and arrive, it is too late.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

The officers told us they wished more people had guns and were able to protect themselves because many times by the time the police are dispatched and arrive, it is too late.
That doesn't really surprise me. In Chicago where there is a ban on handguns, the city officials and the police leadership want people to be disarmed. Yet the rank and file police officers support private ownership. I know 2 people who are Chicago police officers and that's their view. I asked them why doesn't their management support it and their answer is 'politics as usual'.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
What I find really interesting is that most people for gun control are often rather ignorant about guns themselves and laws regarding them. I have come across so many gun control advocates who are completely ignorant of waiting periods and conceal and carry laws and what terms like "Saturday Night Specials", "Cop Killer Bullets", and "Assault Weapons" actually refer to.

Guns have a lot of uses: hunting, pest control, self-defense, sport shooting, and in the worst case scenario, defense from an oppressive government or to oppose an invasion. That last one isn't necessarily likely, but it is possible.

One thing I always find funny is that gun control advocates are usually liberals, which is odd since gun control is very illiberal. What else can you call laws that violate privacy, hold an entire group of people libel for the actions of a few, and place security above liberty? They are illiberal and restrictive laws.

And how come those very same people are always worried about random mass shootings (which are perhaps the rarest form of murder), but yet seem comfortable with gun ownership of the police and military? Statistically speaking, throughout history governments have killed more people than criminals. And what is one of the very first things that oppressive governments do to ensure success of their repressive policies? They try to disarm the populace or at least anyone who might cause them problems. I'm not saying that is the goal of any democratic country that has enacted gun control laws, if I did think that, I wouldn't even have the balls to post this on the internet. However, I do think it is a bit odd that gun control advocates are often implicitly or explicitly question the motives of gun owners wanting to own guns, yet have no objections to an type institution which has a long history of abusing its power having guns is a little odd.

Also, how effective is gun control? Many people jump up and down and point to European nations and mention that they have lower murders and stricter gun control. This is true, but they leave some things out. By the 19th Century, Europe's murder rate was starting to decrease dramatically (many historians have said that the murder rate of Europe during the Middle Ages and the period after were much higher than the American murder rate of today, by some estimates 3-20 times as much) and has remained pretty low ever since. Also, two European nations have many citizens with easy access to guns: Finland and Switzerland. Finland has some of the laxest gun laws in Europe and even allows some modifications of firearms that are currently illegal in the US, such as silencers to keep down noise pollution. Switzerland is a bit of a different story, the Swiss have a very small standing army, so to keep down costs and to reinforce a sense of civic duty, all able bodied Swiss males are considered part of the militia, they undergo military training and by law they have to have a fully automatic rifle in their house in case they need to be called up for an emergency. It is also the rifle they train with when they are on duty.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Being a shooter and a gun owner myself - I do often wonder about the rationale about the questionnaire you have to fill out to get your foid card, where you just have to "x" the box saying you have never been treated for a mental illness or had a mental illness...

that guy that shot up northern Illinois university lied obviously. Why the h*ll was a person who tried suicide and had been treated for mental illness numerous times get guns.

That is one obvious problem that total head cases can access the weapons. I thought they took care of that in this state after that Laurie Dann thing? But obviously not. I think it must fall to the medical profession to make that call - but they don't want to.

Tough situation here. I think the bkground checks required for your foid, only show felony charges and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates