U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 PM

1,008 posts, read 636,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Yeah sure. Old No-Toes-Pete and his buddies.

I'm guessing you've never been in a vicious counter-insurgency campaign before? When you have the very real possibility of guerilla insurgents walking through your area, possibly even on top of you or within a few feet of you, you don't get to call a time-out to flip off the safety on your rifle.

The Rhodesians didn't use the M16 with an easy and quiet fire selector, they primarily used the Fn-Fal, and sometimes the AK-47, and to a lesser extent the HK G3. I could hear you operate the safety on an AK-47 from across a football field!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:22 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,067,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I'm guessing you've never been in a vicious counter-insurgency campaign before? When you have the very real possibility of guerilla insurgents walking through your area, possibly even on top of you or within a few feet of you, you don't get to call a time-out to flip off the safety on your rifle.

The Rhodesians didn't use the M16 with an easy and quiet fire selector, they primarily used the Fn-Fal, and sometimes the AK-47, and to a lesser extent the HK G3. I could hear you operate the safety on an AK-47 from across a football field!
No and neither have you. The difference is that I don't pretend.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 10,826,356 times
Quote:
No and neither have you. The difference is that I don't pretend.
I disagree. You have cited your "training and qualifications" numerous times as a basis for your opinions and deflected endlessly when they were challenged. You have also attempted to set yourself above others by claiming status as a "veteran". Once again, then, I ask you point blank, by what "experience" with weapons and the use of lethal force in defensive situations do you feel yourself qualified to determine who should and should not have access to weapons for defensive purposes. I have had to use lethal force in two situations with human attackers and many situations with four legged attackers as well. One incident with a mountain lion, many against wild dogs a couple against wild pigs and one against a black bear. As to my experience with weapons I have cited that in earlier posts which I know you have perused so I won't rehash that. So, what say you then? What "experience" sets you apart and allows you to judge who should and should not be armed and why? Incidents you have been involved in, training, combat experience, etc. . Inquiring minds want to know exactly with whom they are conversing.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,299,992 times
Quote:
Right now, though foolhardy, it's legal. Hunters don't need to keep their guns loaded at home. When I hunted we never loaded the weapon until we were in the field. That's true of the military as well. Guns were never stored loaded.

Its not stored if its kept for protection Sparky. I thought your law required they be unloaded & locked or disassembled.
Whats need got to do with it anyway? Your opinion is foolhardy, unless theres been a rash of crime & mayhem since your law got trashed the obvious truth is you needlessly support restrictive laws just to feel good. Must be some kinda power freak fetish thing.

I store my guns unloaded & dont load a gun I'm hunting with until I get in the field, but that by no means every gun I own is unloaded.
You may have forgotten but I dont care what you think the military does in regards to firearms.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday I'm not a gun owner and you've 'attacked' me several times in this thread alone; simply because I don't share your opinion.
Via DM you even have tried to run me off this board.
Wasn't that the purpose of doggin' me?
And now I have you chaisin' your own tail.
Nice doggy.

No, he rebukes you because you are an annoying antagonist. He has a legitimate interest in this subject. You are ONLY here to attack.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Status: "I've got a gun for a mouth and a bullet with your name on it" (set 29 days ago)

1,567 posts, read 2,538,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by TonyT:Are you implying that America never had a policy of racial seperation which is comparable with the Nazi ideology?
Forget about your constitution because the Native Americans and black Americans only had full citizenship in the 20th century.

Until recently it was perfectly legal in some states to shoot black negroes if they were armed with a firearm*. And this happened way before the Jews were forbidden by law to arm themselves in Nazi Germany.
Well thank you for not failing to disappoint with your predictable response. The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution had/has absolutely zero to do with enforcing racial inequality no matter how hard you try to make it otherwise. Does the U.S. have a perfect record when it comes to the treatment of minorities? No, but then the same can be said about pretty much any country in the world. I've been in the company of more then a few Dutch people who speak about Moluccans the same way many Americans used to speak about blacks in this country. But what does that have to with the 2nd Amendment? Absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyD
I only agree with the Dutch laws I agree with.
It isn't my fault that they make more sense than the American's.
Well of course your Dutch laws make perfect sense to you because you are a loyal Dutch citizen. And as such, when your government tells you that they are taking something away from you because it's for your own good, you tend to accept it without much question. I'm sure that when the law was passed prior to the Second World War requiring Dutch citizens to register their religion with the government, no one thought anything of it. After all, it was designed simply to make sure that taxes collected from churches were distributed fairly among all religious entities. I guess it was just an unfortunate offshoot of the registration that it made it easier for the SS to identify who was a Jew in Holland. So it stands to reason that America having no law requiring you to register your religion with the government, or even the idea that churches aren't taxed would not make much sense to you.

Though I'm sure you think otherwise, the average American doesn't want the whole world to be just like us. What we actually want is to not be like the Netherlands or any other European social democracy. If we wanted to be just like Europe, then the vast majority of the people that emigrated to the U.S. wouldn't have bothered leaving in the first place.

As always, it's been a pleasure Tricky...

Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No because home invasions are about as common as lightening striking you down. No thug is likely to break into my house. Neither am I likely to be hit by a meteor or kidnapped by aliens. All of those things you tell children to scare them.

I have lightning protection on my home. The odds wont matter when it happens to you RL. But its your life.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,276,358 times
Quote:
No because home invasions are about as common as lightening striking you down. No thug is likely to break into my house. Neither am I likely to be hit by a meteor or kidnapped by aliens. All of those things you tell children to scare them.
In DC perhaps. Not Phoenix

OBTW: Troops in Afganistan and Iraq keep their weapons "at the ready" (loaded) at all times including Mess and went they hit their racks

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,626,203 times
Quote:
Right now, though foolhardy, it's legal.
Why is it foolhardy?

I've kept a loaded shotgun in my bedroom for nearly 20 years, and have yet to have an incident, or anything even coming close.

You appear to have an irrational fear of guns, rl. It's just a machine, like a toaster or pipe wrench (objects which have also been used to murder, by the way).

Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM

22,504 posts, read 21,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Depends which military...

Were you ever in the Rhodesian military? Soldiers slept with their weapons loaded, chambered, safety off.
That's not stored. It's also not just the Rhodesian military. Why would you mention the Rhodesian military? That's pretty commonplace when you're in harms way, an active zone. Stop being so damned obtuse. Rhodesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates