U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,193 posts, read 17,575,965 times
Reputation: 7978

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No because home invasions are about as common as lightening striking you down. No thug is likely to break into my house. Neither am I likely to be hit by a meteor or kidnapped by aliens. All of those things you tell children to scare them.
There was a man who, just a couple of weeks ago, shot and killed (http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?s=9850002 - broken link) a home invader here in Las Vegas. There's someone posting in this very thread who's also had to do the same.

There are only about 60-70 deaths caused by lightning each year in this country. Are you claiming that there are only 60-70 home invasions in this country each year?

 
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 633,365 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No and neither have you. The difference is that I don't pretend.

I've spoken with plenty of people who have, and I listen to what they have to say about their experiences. You speak from nothing, I speak from what I've been told by those who have been there and done it. That's the difference.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 633,365 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's not stored. It's also not just the Rhodesian military. Why would you mention the Rhodesian military? That's pretty commonplace when you're in harms way, an active zone. Stop being so damned obtuse. Rhodesia.

Because I remember it sticking out when I read about how Australians and Brits who were in Rhodesia were shocked to see that they slept with their guns, loaded, chambered, safety off, across their chest or tucked against the body. Some Australians remarked that the Rhodesians were crazy, with the implication being that they would have slept with weapons in any condition other than how the Rhodesians slept with theirs.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,244 posts, read 10,776,080 times
Reputation: 12209
Even out here in the sticks where I live we have problems with "home invasions". My first experience with lethal force being brought into play for home defense was a drifter that was attempting to break into an elderly woman's home who lived up the road from us. He was some creep wandering through on 95A, it was 1976, he was on the lady's porch trying to break down the door. She had called the Sheriff but we are out far enough that response time can be lenghty so she called us as well. My Father and I went to her aid. My Dad was a combat veteran, 3 years in Korea and four in Viet Nam, he accosted the guy and covered him with a .22 pistol. The creep turned around and all Dad said was "sit tight a**hole." I'll never forget the tone of Dads voice. The creep had no doubt that Dad meant business and he sat down with his hands on his head and didn't so much as twitch till the deputies got there. Nobody is immune from crime. The bad guys can pop up anywhere at any time. One can be prepared or not. I'll take the former. Home invasions have gotten more prevalent, and the Goblins more bold, where they know folks are disarmed it's even worse.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
 
48,521 posts, read 80,433,733 times
Reputation: 17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by potstirrer View Post
I am curious to know all those who say by enforcing gun control & firearm bans on selected weapons only allows the criminals more power & render law abiding citizens defenseless. How would you feel if it was your child or sibling that went to look at the guns despite all their education & training that was instilled in them only for them to accidentally shoot & kill themselves.
Also I understand that people have the right to bare firearms but what if you are presented with a situation where you may have to use that weapon. How will you feel if you offload a full round in to someone killing them only to find out that they weren't actually breaking into your apartment they actually got confused & lived in the building above you & you just killed someone who was harmless. Or even if you are facing a criminal & instead of just shooting them & wounding them so they can't attack you you again offload a full round in to them & kill them before they can shoot you. Doesn't that make you just as bad as the criminal because then you are not really using it for self defense you are then using it to kill a person which no matter how you look at it is murder.
If you wish to own a fire arm for self defense then surely a had gun will suffice as there are ways to wound a person enough to be safe with out killing them & with the proper training then you can learn how to use that weapon simply for self defense.

I'd fell just the same if my child got into a vehicle and ran off the road and died or if he stubbed while carrying a knfe and died from the knife. I fell teh same if he died from illegal drugs overdose so common in this coutnry of easy illegal drugs.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,202,481 times
Reputation: 4889
Thumbs up Homeowner protects property

Homeowner holds two teens at gunpoint

An east Mesa man who was in the process of moving back into his vacant home surprised two teenagers who had entered through an unlocked door and held them at gunpoint until police arrived, authorities said

The 15-year-old suspects were taken into custody and face charges of trespassing. They were released to their parents.


Homeowner holds two teens at gunpoint
 
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,211,685 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Even out here in the sticks where I live we have problems with "home invasions". My first experience with lethal force being brought into play for home defense was a drifter that was attempting to break into an elderly woman's home who lived up the road from us. He was some creep wandering through on 95A, it was 1976, he was on the lady's porch trying to break down the door. She had called the Sheriff but we are out far enough that response time can be lenghty so she called us as well. My Father and I went to her aid. My Dad was a combat veteran, 3 years in Korea and four in Viet Nam, he accosted the guy and covered him with a .22 pistol. The creep turned around and all Dad said was "sit tight a**hole." I'll never forget the tone of Dads voice. The creep had no doubt that Dad meant business and he sat down with his hands on his head and didn't so much as twitch till the deputies got there. Nobody is immune from crime. The bad guys can pop up anywhere at any time. One can be prepared or not. I'll take the former. Home invasions have gotten more prevalent, and the Goblins more bold, where they know folks are disarmed it's even worse.
just watched a story on the news how over 19 home break-ins have happened in the past month here in my local area, all during the day, all in potential view of passer bys, several people were home, and they well... they were armed with a multitude of weapons.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,450,496 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
No, he rebukes you because you are an annoying antagonist. He has a legitimate interest in this subject. You are ONLY here to attack.
LoL The kettle is calling the pot black now?
You must be a masochist for being wrong so often.
Or maybe you just simply have no idea how wrong ya are most of the time?


Originally Posted by TonyT
Quote:
But what does that have to with the 2nd Amendment? Absolutely nothing.
Ya ask me a question and when I answer ya accuse me of going off topic?

Quote:
Well thank you for not failing to disappoint with your predictable response.
LoL as if your answers are unpredictable to me.

Quote:
The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution had/has absolutely zero to do with enforcing racial inequality no matter how hard you try to make it otherwise.
I'm not trying anything, it's all history.
That you wish to deny it ain't my problem.

Quote:
Well of course your Dutch laws make perfect sense to you because you are a loyal Dutch citizen.
LoL I'm not a patriot like you and most Americans.

Quote:
And as such, when your government tells you that they are taking something away from you because it's for your own good, you tend to accept it without much question.
You confuse me with yourself.
Besidez, in The Netherlands our government exists out of a coalition government so we never truly get what we really want, which means that the biggest party has to make compromises with other parties in order to form a government.
So we always criticize every decision.

Quote:
What we actually want is to not be like the Netherlands or any other European social democracy.
LoL it must suck to be you right now, cause Obama is your president.

Quote:
As always, it's been a pleasure Tricky...
Now say it like ya mean it.
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,173,440 times
Reputation: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Ghandi is proof that you're wrong, the British left India without Ghandi and his people having lifted a finger against them.
If you reread what I wrote, you will notice I said "usually." I did not say there were no exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
True, but chemical weapons don't offer the same control as guns.
WWI taught us that you can damage your own troops when you use chemical weapons.
So? There is also such a thing as friendly fire from small arms. War is a dangerous business. My point was that WMDs can be manufactured inexpensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
False this thread is only about gun control.
The part of 'in the US' is something you have fabricated yourself.
If you reread the body of the original post, you will notice that the poster (who lists his location as within the U.S.) brought up the topic of the Constitution. I did make an assumption he was talking about Gun Control in the U.S. I believe this was a reasonable assumption based on the content of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I simply will not, because Americans also believe that machineguns and WMDs can be used defensively which is not the case; machineguns and WMDs can only be used offensively.
Next you'll claim that a preliminary strike is a defensive manoeuvre?
Am I reading this the way you meant it? Are you saying that WMDs and Machine guns can only be used in a preliminary strike? I believe that if the enemy makes the first strike, we will use whatever force is necessary to defend ourselves against that enemy. This may include use of WMDs and Machine Guns. The bombs dropped in WWII were used against an enemy that attacked the U.S., not in an offensive first strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Talk and find out what the true cause of the conflict is. What Americans seem to keep forgetting (or keep denying) is that 1 manís terrorist is another 1ís freedom fighter.
Even the Americans have been branded terrorists by the British.
That's kind of like trying to reason with some folks on this forum that won't listen to the logic of those whose views oppose their own. Sound familiar?
 
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,173,440 times
Reputation: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't think anyone was attacking you per se. Vehament disagreement yes, but that is to be expected in a forum like this. At any rate, if you don't want to own a weapon, that is your right, just as it is mine to choose to do the opposite. Out here where I live we need to be armed. Taking that right away would leave us defensless. I can't keep large predators out of my stock with a slingshot. I have also had to defend myself aginst wild dogs, and without a firearm I would have been lunch. Your situation is obviously different, which is fine. Not everbody is cut out to be a firearms owner, or to live where one NEEDS firearms. Which is fine as well. I'm not judging you or anyone else because of lifestyle choices. Now if you wanted to come out here and take a little horseback trip into our backcountry, you might have to get used to having firearms around, lol, but since that is unlikely you can enjoy a gun free lifestyle and we can just live and let live.
The last part of this quote pretty much says it all. Since this is the debate forum, we are debating the topic of gun control. Having someone post a response that opposes yours is the whole idea behind a debate.

Since some people don't seem to really want a debate, I have a new suggestion (actually one taken from the above quote):

Live and let live.

Here is my proposal. I propose that those who are pro-gun do not force those who are anti-gun into firearms ownership. I likewise propose that those who are anti-gun do not force those who are pro-gun from firearms ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 PM.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top