U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,206,202 times
Reputation: 1915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
And my answer still is that Ghandi did just that.
Can you come up with anything new? There no point in continuing to revisit what's already been beaten to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
But maybe you're of the opinion that the British Empire is not a tyrannical government?
After all, the British claimed to be civilised.
I never stated any opinion about the British Empire, either now, or in the 18th Century. The opinions about the British that mattered were those held by those in the American colonies. You can read all you want about them in the history books. There's no point in discussing this any further here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Have you ever tried to give cover (using friendly fire) with a machine gun or submachinegun with friendlies in front of you before the approaching enemy?
All machineguns (including submachine guns) are designed for offence and not defence.
Again, you're covering topics that have already been covered. I do not agree with you about this, and no matter how many times you mention it, I am not going to change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
This follows the same line of 'logic' that because crime is only committed by the living, we should kill all the living if we want to get rid of crime.
Actually, it doesn't follow that same line of 'logic,' as you call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Then he should've changed the title of the thread. The title has to be a short synopsis
of the discussion he wanted to start.
This is not necessarily so.
Anywayz, if he only wanted to restrict gun control to the US he should've been more clear about it in the title.
Since he did not I can only assume that he didn't.
Actually, the title of the thread is given to raise one's interest in the thread. The body of the message is where the details are to be given. Again, we've already covered that subject in previous messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Okay maybe I should've stated that only Americans who love American Football believe that a 1st strike qualifies as a defensive manoeuvre.
Yet after 9/11 most Americans agreed that invading Iraq was a good idea (because of the presumption that Iraq had WMDs).
Football, as we call it, has nothing to do with anything I've mentioned on this thread, except the statement that the best defense is a good offense, as you brought up a few messages back, which I replied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I'll bet you'll disagree with the reason; I don't wanna be an American because I view Americans as the most conformist people in the world.
I don't know what you mean when you say "most conformist people in the world." Are you talking about conforming to the dictates of the government, or to something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
And the majority of Americans is ignorant about how the world works outside the US.
In short: I generally find Americans the most uninformed people of the world, but I guess I can't blame them because the quality of American journalism isn't what it once was.
With corporate news like CNN, Fox etc, I find it hard to believe that the US still has an independent press.
You know, I think I've found something else I agree with you about. The "mainstream" media in the U.S. does a fine job of censoring the "news" that they broadcast to the American people. This is true about international news as well as U.S. national and local news. I don't know that I would call the U.S. press independent, since there are only a handful of people that control what is broadcast.

 
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,102 posts, read 9,175,778 times
Reputation: 8975
Default Swiss solution

Instead of gun bans, we should try the SWISS SOLUTION: Home storage of fully automatic assault rifles.


From a site trying to end gun storage at home:
Swiss army gun law campaign (http://www.iansa.org/regions/europe/Swisscampaign.htm - broken link)
Military guns
There are about 200,000 Swiss men who undertake military service in
annual courses of 2-4 weeks. They are permitted to keep their military weapon at home. ... A further 1.5 million military guns are estimated to belong to former militiamen.
----
1.7 million "assault rifles".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
7.5 million population

1.7 million full auto military rifles / 7.5 million population = "armed to the teeth"

BUT THIS IS THE KICKER:
Guns, Crime, and the Swiss - by Stephen P. Halbrook

" In a word, Switzerland, which is awash in guns, has substantially lower murder and robbery rates than England, where most guns are banned.

" Besides the [Swiss] militia system requiring automatic rifles and/or semiautomatic pistols to be kept in the homes of all males aged 20 to 42, firearms are readily available for purchase in gun shops. Yet firearms are rarely used in violent crime. Notes Clinard, "These facts contrast strikingly with the belief that a low criminal homicide rate is due to strict firearms regulations." Homicide is tied to a willingness to resort to violence, not the mere presence of firearms..."
 
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,311,573 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
What about those folks in the rest of the U.S. having guns? You know, places like California, Virginia, Texas, Missouri, and Ohio, just to name a few. Are you fine with that, too? From the tone of your earlier messages, I gathered you weren't so keen on that.
He's ok with it everywhere except DC. He doesn't realize that his city is no different from hundreds of others that respect civil rights & is really only one of a small group that violate their citizenry's basic rights.

Sorta like he doesn't realize that a career as a submariner, as honorable as it is, does not make one an expert on anything, except submarines & certainly not an expert on self defense of any type, firearms included.

But we must remember, that we are just the "Joe six packs" that pay the freight & not enlightened ex public servants like him.
 
Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,660,466 times
Reputation: 7980
Why have the mods let Tricky completely hijack this thread? I thought the "Great Debates" forum had specific rules which disallowed this type of behavior. What gives?
 
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,325,599 times
Reputation: 4893
3 gunmen at large after Home Invasion

Three suspects with guns were still on the loose after invading an apartment containing four children early Tuesday morning in Glendale.

3 gunmen at large after Glendale home invasion
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,077,500 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Funny you mention it, I did & you are either lieng or dont know your own law. Probably more than a little of each.
Here you go, read something credible. Metropolitan Police Department: Gun Registration (http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547431,mpdcNav_GID,1523,mpdcNav,|.as p - broken link)
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,077,500 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
3 gunmen at large after Home Invasion

Three suspects with guns were still on the loose after invading an apartment containing four children early Tuesday morning in Glendale.

3 gunmen at large after Glendale home invasion
The following information and tips from our friends at the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Chicago/Romeoville.... "Lightning is the most frequent important weather threat to personal safety during the thunderstorm season. Keep these lightning safety tips in mind; Plan ahead and avoid dangerous lightning situations. Check the latest forecast before going outdoors for extended periods. Watch for storms and seek shelter indoors when storms approach. Lightning often strikes the tallest object. If caught outdoors during a storm, donít stand next to tall trees or power poles. And donít be out in an open area where you may be the tallest object. A closed, hard top metal vehicle is safe in a thunderstorm. An open structure such as a picnic shelter will keep you dry but it will not protect you from lightning. If boating or swimming, get out of the water when storms approach and seek shelter indoors. Avoid using electrical appliances, corded telephones and metal plumbing when indoors during a thunderstorm. It is okay to use a cell phone or cordless phone. Use the flash to bang method to estimate the distance of lightning. When you see a flash of lightning, count the seconds until you hear the bang of the thunder. Then divide by five. The result is your distance, in miles, from the lightning flash. The 30-30 rule says if thunder occurs within 30 seconds of the lightning, it is close enough to be dangerous. Stop outdoor activity and get inside. Then stay indoors until 30 minutes after the storm has ended." For more information on lightning safety, please visit the National Weather Service's Lightning Safety and Awareness page by clicking the link below!
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,325,599 times
Reputation: 4893
Richurch denies there are home invasions - and continues to ignore the fact even after proof is provided -

Shows the closed mindedness of those who live in the Beltway. No wonder this country is in trouble
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,077,500 times
Reputation: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Richurch denies there are home invasions - and continues to ignore the fact even after proof is provided -

Shows the closed mindedness of those who live in the Beltway. No wonder this country is in trouble
Actually I said they are so rare that the police don't even track them as a separate crime. Some people are afraid of their shadow. Pitiful.
 
Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,325,599 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually I said they are so rare that the police don't even track them as a separate crime. Some people are afraid of their shadow. Pitiful.
They fall into Burglaries here - they happen quite often - and we have homeowners / home occupants defending themselves regularly with firearms.

Hell - we even had a rancher in So. AZ who has detained, at gun point, over 12000 illegals crossing his property and turning them over to ICE -

You haven't got what it takes to protect others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top