U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 PM

16,873 posts, read 16,779,459 times

Advertisements

If theyre so rare why do so many people have home alarm systems, or at least the signs saying they do? And when people move down to where I live from RL's place the first thing they install in their new house is an alarm system.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,606,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If theyre so rare why do so many people have home alarm systems, or at least the signs saying they do? And when people move down to where I live from RL's place the first thing they install in their new house is an alarm system.
Keep in mind though that while alarm / security systems are fine, the do not stop the invaders. BTW the police are notified by your alarm company (it is not immediate), and the police respond and arrive at your location, the crooks are long gone.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM

5,913 posts, read 5,085,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have an alarm system. It's good for fire, medical emergencies, and burglaries.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM

5,913 posts, read 5,085,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They fall into Burglaries here - they happen quite often - and we have homeowners / home occupants defending themselves regularly with firearms.

Hell - we even had a rancher in So. AZ who has detained, at gun point, over 12000 illegals crossing his property and turning them over to ICE -

You haven't got what it takes to protect others
LOL you have the best stories. I love them. Some rancher detains twelve thousand illegals while you single handily fight off hundreds of home invades attacking your tax free residence that is completely energy independent and home of a nuclear waste depository.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 197,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually I said they are so rare that the police don't even track them as a separate crime. Some people are afraid of their shadow. Pitiful.

They are classified as burglaries/robberies, accounting for about 10% of all "burglaries" or "thefts from dwelling."

If I had to make an educated guess I would declare that there are probably anywhere from five thousand to fifteen thousand home invasions in the USA, each year.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM

7,165 posts, read 5,264,940 times
I have an "alarm system" too....dogs. When they start yappin', I start lookin'. Lol, they aren't exactly "watchdogs". They might lick someone to death but they will let me know when somethings out of place. You just have to be able to differentiate between the general bark for the heck of it and the "someones here" tones. And they are large enough to give a potential intruder pause. If you don't know them they could be intimidating. A good dog is an exellent first line of defense.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
LOL you have the best stories. I love them. Some rancher detains twelve thousand illegals while you single handily fight off hundreds of home invades attacking your tax free residence that is completely energy independent and home of a nuclear waste depository.
Washington Times - 16 illegals sue Arizona rancher

"The lawsuit said he then called his wife and two Border Patrol agents arrived at the site. It also said Mr. Barnett acknowledged that he had turned over 12,000 illegal immigrants to the Border Patrol since 1998. "

he was also found not guilty of violating illegal aliens rights.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,606,891 times
Quote:
Excuse me? Search the internet Bubba - the rancher story been on the news lately. I don't personally fight off anything - And, I don't live in a tax free residence

Obviously - you lost any argument you may have had - and now resorting to lying. Sure sign of a small minded person.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM

7,165 posts, read 5,264,940 times
Quote:
Lol, you have some great stories too. Such as DC being such a peaceful and benevolent place. You fair city has been on the top of the violence stats for quite a spell. The "gun ban" there did about as much to keep the bad guys unarmed as Obamas fiscal plan has promise. Laws only work when people obey them. Hmm, whats the definition of the word "criminal" again? It's high time that
it is recognized that the disarming of honest citizens does NOTHING to reduce violent crime. It does however create a much safer environment for the Goblins to ply their trade. Dc , NYC, San Freaksisco, Chicago, et al. All shining examples of the failure of "gun control" laws. Funny how the bad guys just ignored all those laws. Don't they have ANY concern for public safety? LMAO

Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 AM

15,147 posts, read 6,602,024 times
Quote:
I have an alarm system. It's good for fire, medical emergencies, and burglaries.

I have an alarm system as well, 2 large dogs (home broken), glock 21, M1A and lots of 7.62x51 ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.