U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,192,982 times

Advertisements

It now seems that if DC wants to have voting members in Congress, they are going to have to accept a repeal of their gun laws - and allow semi-automatics and no gun registrations.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:47 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,708,966 times
Serious question here. We don't have gun registration in the US, correct? I buy a handgun, they do the NCIS or whatever the BG check that the FBI does to allow you to purchase the firearm. There is supposedly no data base kept but the firearm dealers must keep a record of the transactions re the BGC. So if I get pulled over and legally have a firearm that I own in my car, unloaded of course, how do the Cops know if it is an "unregistered" firearm or not?

I ask this because I always hear of people getting in trouble for having a gun that is not registered, as far as I know, none of mine are "registered" although I bought them legally.

Oh yeah and I also love it when the media uses the word "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammunition" like it is a crime or something. I hate that.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 633,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Serious question here. We don't have gun registration in the US, correct? I buy a handgun, they do the NCIS or whatever the BG check that the FBI does to allow you to purchase the firearm. There is supposedly no data base kept but the firearm dealers must keep a record of the transactions re the BGC. So if I get pulled over and legally have a firearm that I own in my car, unloaded of course, how do the Cops know if it is an "unregistered" firearm or not?

I ask this because I always hear of people getting in trouble for having a gun that is not registered, as far as I know, none of mine are "registered" although I bought them legally.

Oh yeah and I also love it when the media uses the word "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammunition" like it is a crime or something. I hate that.
Approximately a half-dozen states have registration laws ranging from all firearms to only "assault weapons" to only handguns. Furthermore, some localities, such as Cleveland, have their own local registration laws.

Also, the BATF was found to be keeping records in regards to the yellow forms. They were going into gun stores and copying hundreds of forms each week. The NRA sued them and supposedly they stopped, but again, I say supposedly.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,708,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Approximately a half-dozen states have registration laws ranging from all firearms to only "assault weapons" to only handguns. Furthermore, some localities, such as Cleveland, have their own local registration laws.

Also, the BATF was found to be keeping records in regards to the yellow forms. They were going into gun stores and copying hundreds of forms each week. The NRA sued them and supposedly they stopped, but again, I say supposedly.

I know about Class III firearms and registration requirements. I used to live in the state with the most restrictive gun laws in the country and they required no "registration". Only Federal background checks, I know certain municipalities have certain restrictive gun laws.

There is no state which requires registration of a firearm. (non class III)

I will ask again, what constitutes an unregistered firearm in a country that does not have gun registration?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,281,699 times
Quote:

Theres no federal registration but some states & municipalities have things going. Most times however when you hear about an "unregistered gun" its hyperbole, it may be true but its meaningless. All the guns in CT are unregistered so it could be said that all crime here is commited with unregistered guns. But it would mean nothing of substance.
In NY every gun you own is printed on your permit & you cannot carry one thats not. So if you got pulled over, even with a permit & had your grandfathers old 6 gun you were bringing home you would be commiting a felony. CT's bad but NY really sucks.

Arsenal is another meaningless thing used to drum up support from the RL crowd. I'm quite sure I have enough guns to qualify as an arsenal to an anti gun person. I suppose it is but in reality the term arsenal is much to broad to have any real meaning in most civilian cases.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I know about Class III firearms and registration requirements. I used to live in the state with the most restrictive gun laws in the country and they required no "registration". Only Federal background checks, I know certain municipalities have certain restrictive gun laws.

There is no state which requires registration of a firearm. (non class III)

I will ask again, what constitutes an unregistered firearm in a country that does not have gun registration?

Just to name the two that immediately come to mind... I could probably get about four or five more but it would take some web surfing.

Hawaii (all firearms acquired within Hawaii)

Maryland (all handguns and "assault rifles")- serial numbers and information on the buyer are recorded by police before transactions are completed/approved. What do you call that?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM

31,643 posts, read 38,590,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Just to name the two that immediately come to mind... I could probably get about four or five more but it would take some web surfing.

Hawaii (all firearms acquired within Hawaii)

Maryland (all handguns and "assault rifles")- serial numbers and information on the buyer are recorded by police before transactions are completed/approved. What do you call that?

In MD for handguns: mandatory registration, mandatory 10 day minimum waiting period, mandatory State Police background check. If purchase is allowed State Police issue a "not denied" not "permitted".

Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,049,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It now seems that if DC wants to have voting members in Congress, they are going to have to accept a repeal of their gun laws - and allow semi-automatics and no gun registrations.
We will wait. Not worth the interference in our local law. Too bad Utah. It didn't work out this year.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
We will wait. Not worth the interference in our local law. Too bad Utah. It didn't work out this year.

Since when were local laws allowed to violate the Constitution of the United States of America?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM

3,933 posts, read 3,818,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Arsenal is another meaningless thing used to drum up support from the RL crowd. I'm quite sure I have enough guns to qualify as an arsenal to an anti gun person. I suppose it is but in reality the term arsenal is much to broad to have any real meaning in most civilian cases.
Based on some recent stories I have read, I passed 'arsenal' a long time ago. The last time I drove from MS to AR to go shooting I had 3 'assault weapons' (media lingo, not mine), 3 semi-automatic pistols with high capacity magazines and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition all in the trunk of my car. Sounds like I was going to commit a huge crime. Nope. My wife and I were going for a relaxing afternoon of target practice. It's the most fun I've had in a while.

-Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates