U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,374,882 times
Reputation: 4893

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Obviously you have no concept of what unconventional warfare is.
Obviously, you have no concept of how American Forces engaged the enemy in Vietnam.

 
Old 03-07-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
Reputation: 1300
as a reiteration of rifleman's suggestion to ignore the troll, realize that even though his argument has been thoroughly annihilated, tricky will not concede that he was wrong. it is against his religion, i think. even one of his gun control-advocating allies has corrected him, and yet, tricky still won't concede that he was wrong.

how do i know? because we've been over this ground a few dozen times before. he never concedes anything. if the argument somehow veered off the track even further than it is now, and gun 'fetishists' (as he likes to insult) were claiming that the sun rises in the east, he would go out of his way to argue that it rises in the west and sets in the east. just for the sake of the argument i think.

so, in the end, your words are wasted, and even for the benefit of the lurkers here, it is better just to ignore the troll and to return to the op, even if we just end up discussing it between ourselves.

aaron out.
 
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,522,229 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Your every opinion is conjecture & hearsay. The funniest part of all is you take yourself seriously.
Of course you believe them to only be conjecture & hearsay, because believing otherwise means that you're wrong.
And you would never admit to be wrong, right?

Quote:
War has nothing to do with gun control?
The reason America waged war in Vietnam is to prevent their rival ideology to gain ground in Vietnam. America considers every nation that is not Capitalistic a threat.
Especially when they’ve an army.

All the Vietnamese wanted was to kick out the colonials (including America).
America was fighting in Vietnam for all the wrong reasons.
You can't win from a country that is determined to die for its freedom.
If more people would’ve been like your American boxing champion Muhammad 'I am the greatest' Ali, Nazi-Germany would've had no army to start WWII.


Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
TD: I'm glad you trust me. I'm a Veteran. Vietnam. Decorated
LoL, you have claimed to be many, many things Greatday but your posts more often than not prove the exact opposite of all your claims. But I agree that you are one who follows orders without ever questioning them.
Anywayz, I see you more as a patriotic (read: fanatical) gun fetishist than a war veteran.
Besidez, I only respect the man, not his uniform or his decorations.

Quote:
We fought with with no "high tech toys" - we fought with sloshing through rice paddies. Through crawling through caves. Through hand to hand combat.
LoL, that was not by choice, because tanks would sink in the rice paddies.
I'm not surprised that you would deny military choppers, napalm bombs and agent Orange to be hi-tech.

Quote:
With blood, sweat and yes, tears.
You must've shed lotsa tears for the civilian casualties the US army has caused in Vietnam.

Quote:
With acts of heroism that YOU cannot even imagine.
LoL, the only 'act of heroism' I remember is in the news clip where a little Vietnamese girl is running down a street covered with napalm from an American napalm bomb.
I guess this is the main reason why the US army won't allow the press to roam uncontrolled.

FYI Testing chemical & nuclear weapons on the enemy can never can be an act of heroism.

Quote:
Obviously, you have no concept of how American Forces engaged the enemy in Vietnam.
Obviously you’ve never engaged the VC.


Originally Posted by NVplumber
Quote:
I don't understand in the least how these individuals seem to think that because someone wore the uniform at one time , or even served in a combat zone, that in and of itself that service gives "veterans" or whatever a unique set of skills and or qualifications over and above all civilian firearms owners.
Simply because civilian firearm owners have no idea themselves when they've become an unruly (lynch) mob.
At least the military and the police are trained & drilled to work as a unit while civilian gun fetishists aren't.


Originally Posted by rlchurch
Quote:
The VC lost the battles in Vietnam.
Fact still is that the VC won the war.


Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
as a reiteration of rifleman's suggestion to ignore the troll, realize that even though his argument has been thoroughly annihilated, tricky will not concede that he was wrong.
LoL you have given an accurate description of yourself.
But then, it takes 1 to know 1, right?
 
Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,374,882 times
Reputation: 4893
Let's try something simple -

Tricky D: In your opinion, should the civilian population in the United States, be totally disarmed? Or, partially disarmed perhaps?
 
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,911,844 times
Reputation: 12290
Despite arguments (loose term) to the contrary, civilian ownership of firearms is a necessary part of American culture. Our armed citizenry was established by the framers of the Constitution, and the right to bear arms comes second only to that of free speech which speaks volumes as to how important it is. The Michael Moore "fetishists" and hoplophobes can wail and wring their hands till Hades freezes over and we will still be an armed nation at the end of the day. Any attempt to disarm us by force will meet with dismal failure as will new restrictive legislation along those same lines. Lol, I find the ravings of certain individuals to be mildly amusing in their shrillness and obvious lack of any real knowledge on the subject at hand. i must agree with Stycotl and Rifleman as to continued attention to certain posts by a certain person. Rational discussion is impossible because the use of insulting rhetoric is to much a part of this persons style and it's way to easy to respond in kind rather than moving on to REAL talking points.
 
Old 03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,216,273 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It isn't the game hunter who takes their rifle to rob stores, break into people's homes or shoot someone in the street because they are wearing the wrong colored bandana. Why should these responsible hunters be penalized or hobby threatened due to punks in the street?

I agree. The government wants to disarm the people. What was written was that the public could own the arms of the day, the arms du jour. This would keep the government afraid of the people, yes really, and tyranny at bay. Our Founding Fathers KNEW a population with no ability to defend itself would eventually be taken over.

Those who oppose weapons simply make the case for the rare event where an irresponsible person leaves their gun around and a kid gets ahold of it. But you never hear that argument about cars, etc.

If they take the weapons from the people, more crime will happen too. Like you stated, the criminals do not buy their weapons at a store and register them. Our legislators aren't this stupid. They know this. But they keep using the "guns kill" thing as an excuse.

Other nations know America is armed. And criminals take their chances when they attack because you might have a weapon. Imagine, if criminals knew no one was armed. Just like that shoot-out on the NYC subway decades ago, where NO ONE had a gun, and the shooter went on a rampage just gunning each person down.

Had someone had a weapon, they could have saved lives.

Politicians don't worry about this happening to them.

But we need to keep the govt afraid of the people. That's what our Founding Fathers wanted.
 
Old 03-08-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,067,986 times
Reputation: 3717
Default A suggestion, plus the usual refutals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Oh yeah and I also love it when the media uses the word "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammunition" like it is a crime or something. I hate that.

If one correctly aniticpates coming events, I'd recommend that reloader types & thoghtful gunnies acquire, right now, an estimated "lifetime supply" of suitable primers, powder, cases & bullets, as well as, let's see:

A minimum of about 2000 rounds of 9mm or 45ACP;

4000 rounds of 223 or 7.62 X 39 0r X 51

10,000 rounds of .22LR, in several velocity ranges.

A 22 rifle, plinker handgun, a 12 & 410 gauge scattergun, with SWAT mag extension tube & sling;

A combat- type handgun with micro-laser & LED illuminator (ala SIG's latest)

A suitable longer-range engagement rifle such as a AR, AK [poor choice as far a accuracy goes IMHO], Galil, M14A, or even a Lee-Enfield [unstoppable!] with it's own 2000 rounds of mil-surp ammo; a scopped long range anti-sniper rifle with an illuminted-reticle Mil-Dot (also known euphemistically as a modern hunting or varmint rifle...).

A combination laser rangefinder 8X scope with angle compensation (ala Leupold).

Anything I missed? I'm sure I have, and there are alternatives.

Does this mean I'm a radical gun-fetish nut ball? I hope not!

PS: the BATFE has not ever asked me for my yellow sheet (form 4473) records. Yet.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Based on some recent stories I have read, I passed 'arsenal' a long time ago. The last time I drove from MS to AR to go shooting I had 3 'assault weapons' (media lingo, not mine), 3 semi-automatic pistols with high capacity magazines and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition all in the trunk of my car. Sounds like I was going to commit a huge crime. Nope. My wife and I were going for a relaxing afternoon of target practice. It's the most fun I've had in a while.

-Robert
You're obviously a nut-ball dangerous type, Robert! Git 'im, men, and don't spare the ammo either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Most home invasions are because the person thought or knew that the people inside were gambling with large amounts of money or there are narcotic or someone in the home is a gang member.Drop those and the incidents are prtty rare compared to other robberies.
Pretty misinformed, respectfully. Most home invasions result in the possibility of getting a valuable hostage or kidnap victim. Or just when they happen upon some unexpected folks there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker Of course you believe them to only be conjecture & hearsay, because believing otherwise means that you're wrong.

And you would never admit to be wrong, right?

The reason America waged war in Vietnam is to prevent their rival ideology to gain ground in Vietnam. America considers every nation that is not Capitalistic a threat.
Especially when they’ve an army.

All the Vietnamese wanted was to kick out the colonials (including America).

True. Should we have gone there at all? Not the issue here. Not related to the OP, BTW. Just your opportunity to mouth off your vast hatred of patriots and firearms tools.


America was fighting in Vietnam for all the wrong reasons.
You can't win from a country that is determined to die for its freedom.
If more people would’ve been like your American boxing champion Muhammad 'I am the greatest' Ali, Nazi-Germany would've had no army to start WWII.


TD says: LoL, you have claimed to be many, many things Greatday but your posts more often than not prove the exact opposite of all your claims. But I agree that you are one who follows orders without ever questioning them.

Anywayz, I see you more as a patriotic (read: fanatical) gun fetishist than a war veteran.

What disrespectful Tripe! Good thing you weren't in anyone's sights with such an unfounded insult, buddy!

LoL, the only 'act of heroism' I remember is in the news clip where a little Vietnamese girl is running down a street covered with napalm from an American napalm bomb.

Obviously you’ve never engaged the VC.

What? Your fact-base being? Perhaps, considering your background, you might have been on the northern side? I'll apologize for him, GD!

Originally Posted by rlchurch Fact still is that the VC won the war.

"Won" is a loosely defined term, rl. wonder what it means to you. But, just FYI, they didn't win; we relented.

Originally Posted by stycotl: LoL you have given an accurate description of yourself.

But then, it takes 1 to know 1, right?
Ahh, TD... your true colors show through. They're surely not Red, White & Blue, now are they?
 
Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,323,340 times
Reputation: 2558
TD said,
Quote:
Of course you believe them to only be conjecture & hearsay, because believing otherwise means that you're wrong.
Nope, its because they are conjecture & hearsay. Have you ever lived for any great length of time in the USA? Any other country that respected gun ownership as a right?

If not then how could your opinion be anything but hearsay & conjecture. You are free to ponder our freedoms all you want, but the opinions you form will be based on conjecture. You can ask & read all you want about our country, rights & freedoms, but the opinions you form will be based of hearsay.
Therefor I correctly & irrefutably stated that your opinions are based on,,,,,, conjecture & hearsay.
Not because I wont admit I'm wrong. But because I'm not.

Quote:
And you would never admit to be wrong, right?
Only when I am.
You see, appeasing idiots is not something I feel compelled to do.

When I need info on whittling wooden shoes or erecting a windmill I'll sit in rapt attention as you explain the intricacies of your national heritage, I'd be a fool not to.
When you seek info on libery & freedom you should likewise pay attention & listen to Americans explain their heritage, you'd be a fool not to.

Course its too late now tho aint it.
So, once again I will try to ignore the flatulence in the wind from the Netherlands.
 
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,123 posts, read 39,212,961 times
Reputation: 40589
Most popular TV shows worldwide, where many get their ideas about the US. Which explains some of the recent threads.


BBC NEWS | Entertainment | CSI show 'most popular in world'
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,522,229 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Tricky D: In your opinion, should the civilian population in the United States, be totally disarmed? Or, partially disarmed perhaps?
And ya keep askin' me questions where ya already know the answer of.
Regardless, here is my answer: America should have a tighter form of guncontrol in the form of needing a gunlicense (and official training in the use of firearms) + a medical history check (no guns for people who suffer or have suffered from a mental illness).
I only find it obvious that criminals should not be allowed a gun license.


Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Nope, its because they are conjecture & hearsay. Have you ever lived for any great length of time in the USA? Any other country that respected gun ownership as a right?
So you're saying that it is conjecture & hearsay to say that a foreign diplomat who has diplomatic immunity, murdered someone, even when ya have the whole act on tape?
Facts have nothing to do with rights.
I'm sure that in some countries the men have the right to rape the woman they married because in their law there is no such thing as rape between a husband and his wife, but the fact still is that the married woman was taken against her will (raped).

Originally Posted by rifleman
Quote:
Ahh, TD... your true colors show through. They're surely not Red, White & Blue, now are they?
LoL, the Dutch flag is red, white & blue.
I’m sure it was like that before America existed*.

Quote:
*The flag of the Netherlands is a horizontal tricolour of red, white, and blue. Introduced in 1572, it is one of the first tricolours and the oldest tricolour still in use today. Since 1937, the flag has officially been the national flag of the Netherlands and of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Source: Flag of the Kingdom of the Netherlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top