U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Tin Knocker, nice Winchester. What cal.?

Thank you.
Its not a Winchester but thats no biggie, its a Marlin model 1894 calibre 25/20. Nice small game & plinking round.

I been collecting, or accumulating them for a couple years now. I like old Winchesters too but theyre usually priced out of my range. Besides the Marlin is a much simpler action & easier to rebuild & restore. I'm a far cry from a gunsmith & Marlins accommodate me better.

This ones a Winchester model 92 copy I exercised gun control on by restocking it, its made by Rossi in Brazil. Someday I'll get a couple real ones but it'll have to wait till the kids are out of school.
For now this'll tide me over. Its chambered in .357 mag & has taken one deer so far.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Bideshi
Quote:
He gets off on trashing any thread on any subject.
Nah, I only get off on thrashing people who thrash people they don’t agree with.

Quote:
He is a gadfly. Ignore him.
Too bad ya can't ignore me, eh?

Originally Posted by stycotl
Quote:
nothing ever gets resolved. people end up staying on the same side of the argument that they went into it with. but it sure brings out the best of human ignorance.
So ya claim that everyone who disagrees with ya is ignorant?
I find this.....ignorant.

But I guess America is slowly recovering from its own ignorance regarding policing hostile territories. Their usual strategy is to keep the enemy under military pressure, while the Dutch's is to make the enemy irrelevant by construction projects and consistent political & social support which hopefully will transform the enemy into allies.
Right now the American military in Afghanistan is slowly adapting to the philosophy of that of the Dutch.

FYI the Afghans are all armed with firearms and yet they are still threatened by the Taliban.

Quote:
The Dutch-led force of about 2,000 soldiers has adopted what counterinsurgency theorists call the “oil spot” approach. Under this tactic, it concentrates efforts in less hostile areas, especially a basin around Tarin Kowt, the provincial capital, which overlaps an economic development zone designated by Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president.

The central idea is that if foreign military forces show restraint and respect, and help the local government to govern, then these areas will expand, slowly but persistently, like an oil stain across a shirt. As they grow, the theory says, the Taliban’s standing will decline.
(...)
Such counterinsurgency tactics are not new; they are only back in vogue, with a new generation of officers drawing lessons from past military operations in Indonesia, Malaysia, Borneo, Vietnam and elsewhere.

Similar tactics have reappeared in American units in Iraq, as both the Army and the Marine Corps have been rewriting doctrine along the same lines.

But the Dutch have embraced the theory more fully than most, to the point that most Dutch units now take extraordinary steps to avoid military escalation and risks of damage to property or harm to civilians. (When armored vehicles damaged a grove of mulberry trees, a captain came by the next day to negotiate a compensation payment for the farmers.)
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/wo...ewanted=1&_r=1

Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Funny aint it, how some folks will argue points about forien policy in a debate about domestic law as if its meaningful beyond his demonstrating ignorance of the subject.

Those poor Afghans sure are still threatened, but being armed held off both the Russians for a much longer period than the unarmed Dutch could hold off Hitler, years longer, matter of fact they never lost. Theres a difference between being threatened & being helpless, unless your unwilling to admit you are wrong. The truth is the Dutch could learn from them. After all, they dont owe their existance to other countries, America in perticular.

But thats off topic aint it. Today I'll excercise gun control with a S&W model 39 9MM in my belt.
Good day all!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:25 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Tricky D only thinks the Dutch are unarmed. I doubt if any Dutchman turned in any of the weapons they found after WW2. I also understand they have some form of national militia similar to the Swiss.

BTW - Holland is open and flat farmland. No way could they withstand a combined air and armor attack with the equipment they had in 1940.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by GregW
Quote:
I doubt if any Dutchman turned in any of the weapons they found after WW2.
Why?
Because ya believe that peace can only exist through superior firepower?

Quote:
I also understand they have some form of national militia similar to the Swiss.
No we don't.
It used to be that every healthy male of 18 with a Dutch passport was automatically enlisted (with the exception of criminals and people who suffer(ed) from a mental disorder), but since we do not enlist anymore the Dutch army has a great shortage of people.
Probably because nobody is desperate enough or naive enough to join the army.

Quote:
No way could they withstand a combined air and armor attack with the equipment they had in 1940.
That was never our intention; we believed that we could remain neutral like we were during WWI.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Beautiful wood on that 94 Tin! They don't make em' like that anymore. I'm sure you would be totally willing to turn her in for the public good though aye? LMAO. Sorry , couldn't resist.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM

32,111 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Yeah Tin, I looked at the first one for awhile and wondered if it was a Marlin, so I threw the dice. I knew a guy years ago that had a collection of Winchesters, seemed like every model and caliber made. He had a gun shop and retired and I don't know what happened to them. I have a 1920's Model 94 in .32 Special, carbine. I don't know how many deer it's been responsible for. My dad had it.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Well, our favorite pot stirrer in here, is certainly fond of equating the policies of foriegn governments as being relevant to the debate over firearms ownership here in the US, which is really a stretch, but I guess that is what he has to go on. OK. Our second ammendment may be an alien concept to a Dutch national. So be it. He doesn't have to understand, or even agree with it. He doesn't live here. And doesn't have to either. It doesn't change a thing in regards to our rights to firearms and never will. Unless , of course, he decides to put on a funny blue helmet or beret and attempt to export foriegn firearms policy to our stomping grounds. Perhaps this is what he is saying should happen? There have been some suggestions along those lines. LMAO. At any rate, an armed citizenry is an integral part of our society. It's just the way it is. Not everyone uses firearms for the purposes of good, or for evil either. We take the good with the bad, and I think it balances out in the end. Disarming our good guys would tip those scales over in a prodigious fashion, however. Thus it makes no sense to do so. Americans ARE different from the rest of the world, with very few exeptions, in regard to private ownership of firearms. Always have been, it's a main part of why we exist as the nation we are, and always will be. I, personally, cannot fathom a disarmed life. Firearms are as much a part of my daily existence as my torches, saws, hammers and other tools. Without them I would be losing stock left and right, my freezer would be a bit more bare, and I might not even be here to write this. So, there ya go TD. I know it's a concept you can't embrace, but that matters very little in the grand scheme of things. We ARE different here in the US. Like it or not, thats the way it is. While it is ...interesting, to hear your views on this subject, your opinions won't make a dent in our way of life. You may insult us all you wish with terms like "nuts" and fetishists" et al, but all that serves to accomplish is possibly getting a rise out of us, in a natural response to such terms being aimed our way. It does NOTHING to strengthen your position, but if such derision gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, go right ahead. So, for TIN, lol, I think I'll take my Marlin 94 along today. You have inspired me to do so. Mine ain't quite as pretty as yours but she's a solid lil' piece. Mines a .45 Colt. Got a C-45 Taurus slide in the same caliber thats a hoot as well though. So many choices, so little time...............

Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times

My usual carry weapon. Glock 26 - the "Baby" Glock

Old 03-10-2009, 02:06 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,516,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
That was never our intention; we believed that we could remain neutral like we were during WWI.
And now you believe that you can remain unarmed and free. If the US loses it's freedom, the entire world will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates