Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times

Advertisements

hmm, i just realized that i didn't actually make up the word "smileage." i shoulda googled it before posting...

Old 03-13-2009, 07:02 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
every time i hear something about that article, i crack up laughing. i am sorry that she is in pain, but those two have been giving me some smileage (just made that up!) today.

and how! if she'd have bled out, this one would have gone to the darwin awards.

all i know is that the way my wife described an episiotomy, i am sure that this lady is going to be a bit tender for a few weeks to come.

for crying out loud, who sticks a *reciprocal saw* in their delicates?! i wonder if they were pro gun-control...
This is clearly a lesson about the merits of gun control. If a shotgun had been available, she'd be dead. As it is she's just got a nasty cut.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This is clearly a lesson about the merits of gun control. If a shotgun had been available, she'd be dead. As it is she's just got a nasty cut.
OHHHHHH my.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 AM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:

What if she goes on to run over a dozen people with an SUV or poison dozens of consumers by tampering with products?

Is she better off alive or dead? We have no idea. If she's that reckless we have no idea what damage she might cause, knowingly or through her ignorance, in the future. For that matter, we don't know what good she might accomplish. It's impossible to say, as of this point, whether she is better off alive or dead. We'll see...

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit.
"Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.
"We'll see," the farmer replied.
The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses.
"How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.
"We'll see," replied the old man.
The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.
"We'll see," answered the farmer.
The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.
"We'll see" said the farmer.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
apparently there are people that will use any implement in their desire for sexual satisfaction, including electric saws.

that doesn't mean that saws should be taken away from people, and it doesn't mean that gun control has merit. it merely shows that some people are stupid and reckless with anything, and that others (though i would bet that the groups overlap) are irrationally afraid of inanimate things and try to legislate those things out of the hands of the rest of the population that never has a problem with them.

following your logic, we would need to restrict electric saws from the population.

if she'd have died, she'd have died. sad for the rest of her family, but ultimately, it was her own fault and the fault of her airhead husband. i could stand to have the human population undergo a little more natural selection so that i don't have to deal with so much blatant stupidity in life.

so, the stupidity of some people in their attempt to gain 15 minutes of fame has no bearing as to whether or not i should be able to own a gun or not. i've certainly never stuck a reciprocating saw up my nethers (that a normal pastime in maryland?)–i've also never misfired any of my firearms, never grabbed my guns without knowing what condition they were in (with all of your military small arms expertise, i trust that you know that condition does not refer to whether or not the gun is broken...), and never treated a gun as if it were a toy. therefore, there is no story in the entire world that gives merit to the idea that someone should be able to take my guns from me.

sorry about that; i know it frustrates your ideas of totalitarian government and welfare for all, but that is the truth of the matter.

aaron out.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

How do you know a shotgun wasn't available?
There may well have been a bunch of guns in the house.
She was looking for a reciprocating device, why would the presence of a gun have mattered?

And what of the plethora of questions about your municipalities unconstitutional arrest of the innocent fellow in your previous post?
Nice how you ignore such an abusive incident but poke fun at an unfortunate nymphomaniac.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
How do you know a shotgun wasn't available?
There may well have been a bunch of guns in the house.
She was looking for a reciprocating device, why would the presence of a gun have mattered?

And what of the plethora of questions about your municipalities unconstitutional arrest of the innocent fellow in your previous post?
Nice how you ignore such an abusive incident but poke fun at an unfortunate nymphomaniac.
She said she was looking for a bang.

The arrest isn't unconstitutional until the Supreme Court says it is. In the mean time he can rot in jail as an object lesson the the rest of the "gun toting" crowd. Don't come into our town with your guns.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:

The arrest isn't unconstitutional until the Supreme Court says it is. In the mean time he can rot in jail as an object lesson the the rest of the "gun toting" crowd. Don't come into our town with your guns.
by that definition, if that same sc came out tomorrow and said that people with the screen handle of "rlchurch" no longer have the right to free speech, then it would be true; you would no longer have that right.

luckily for you, were you in such a predicament, you'd have a bunch of gun-toting supporters of the constitution to back you up, because those rights are not subject to negation.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:

lmao, so now you speak for ALL DC'ers aye? "Gun toters". Whatever....what arrogance. Yea , you loudly applaude his civil rights being shredded and are the first one in line decrying the government when "protests" an demonstrations for 'pro choice" or 'anti war" or some other left wing cause turns violent and gets a few hippies beat with nightsticks. Knock it off with the attempts at insults bub. For one thing it's showing blatant hatred ,ignorance, and bigotry against people you know absolutly NOTHING about on and issue you have even less knowledge about. You have zero actual experience or skill with firearms, and yet you call folks like me "gun toters" and a slew of other ignorant labels aimed at making yourself feel superior in some way. It's gettin' REAL old.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Thinking aloud from the land down under.

Australia has very restrictive laws.

On the one hand I feel quite safe here. Yes I know that the "bad guys" will always have guns, irrespective of the law. But the genral public will not.

On the other hand, I feel that we, down here, are too over regulated. A philosophical concern.

Then I say to my self, when do I need a gun. Well in the city, where I live, Never. If I live in the rural areas, then maybe I would need one and I believe that I can get one.

From afar, it seems that the kids that shoot up schools, are not getting their guns from the criminal underworld. They use them because they are available.

So for the moment, I support gun control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates