U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
OK, I guess I would have to see you in court then. Let the jury decide. Too bad that the GOP and NRA have established a precedent that gun owners have such a low threshold of responsibility for securing one's own firearms. Gun manufacturers are still being sued for defective gun designs and malfunctions, just as for any other product used by individuals.

"Frivolous lawsuit" is a right-wing code word, you know. It means taking away someone's rights, you know. A judge decides what's frivolous, not the NRA!
Do you also believe lawsuits should be filed when cars are stolen and used in crimes? There's such low standards for keeping vehicles out of the hands of criminals: people just park them on the streets!

In most states in this country such a lawsuit would be tossed out of court, no jury needed. Criminals are solely responsible for their actions and the consequences. For instance, if two burglars break in a home and one is killed as a result (for any reason, be it self-defense by the homeowner, accident, etc.), the surviving criminal(s) will be charged with the death. Criminals are solely and entirely accountable for any consequences arising from their criminal activities, settled matter in common law. I fail to understand why you wish to blame victims of crime for activities of criminals.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,523,864 times
Quote:
OK, I guess I would have to see you in court then. Let the jury decide. Too bad that the GOP and NRA have established a precedent that gun owners have such a low threshold of responsibility for securing one's own firearms. Gun manufacturers are still being sued for defective gun designs and malfunctions, just as for any other product used by individuals.

"Frivolous lawsuit" is a right-wing code word, you know. It means taking away someone's rights, you know. A judge decides what's frivolous, not the NRA!
How can you say it was the GOP and NRA? It is a legislative body that defines the law and thus determines what a frivolous lawsuit is defined as. Any judge that goes against a defined law like that would have his ruling overturned by a higher court.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,867,732 times
Quote:
Have a great day. Please check out the definition of a tort sometime.
Are you also one of those people that think when a woman is raped it's her fault?

Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 AM

37 posts, read 57,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnetx View Post
I think we should ban cars because they cause car accidents.

Knives, too.

When will Australia lead the way on banning these dangerous objects?
Actually from what I know of & I am not sure if this is a countrywide rule or just for certain states but they have put a ban on certain people owning certain cars. In Australia you get a learners license which allows you to learn to drive with a licensed person. Then you go for a driving test when that is passed you get your P plate license. Again the law for this was different for each state. However in Queensland this used to be for 3 yrs then automatically you change over to your open license. Recently the law has changed and they have adopted New South Wales law of being on I think it is a red P Plate for 1 yr then you have to sit another test & if you pass that then you are on your Green P Plate for 2yrs (it could be the other way around) & then you sit another test & if you pass this then you are on your Open license. With each license you are to under go certain requirements such as with your learners you have to complete a log book of driving hours you have to have something like 200hrs of day driving 50hours of night driving & then I think there is also an amount of hours for driving in weather conditions such as rain etc. When you get on your P's you have to display P Plates on your car & anyone on P Plates have to have a 0% blood alcohol content at all times when they will be driving a car & they also have to stick to lower speed limits even if the signs state higher then they are allowed to go. Anyone on their Learners P Plates or under a certain age (I think it is 25years) are not allowed to own or drive certain types of vehicles like street cars, modified, turbo charged etc & if they are caught in possession of this type of vehicle then it is confiscated by police & sold. This is to reduce the amount of road crashes that occur each year especially those involving teenagers. The age limit of obtaining a learners license was once 18 it dropped to 16yrs & 6months & the age limit has now increased again I think to 17yrs. Personally I think that the age limit should be raised because I know when I was a teenager I was a lot more reckless on the road then when I was older & had more sense.
In Australia the legal age for drinking is 18yrs. At one stage they looked at adopting Americas laws on drinking age & were going to raise it to 21yrs. I thought that would be sensible but it was not passed. I think the type of alcohol obtained should also depend on the age limit. E.g. Up until the age of 25yrs old you should only be able to buy basic alcohol such as beer or wine. You should not be allowed to obtain any heavy liquor such as Rum, Bourbon, Vodka, Tequila etc until you are over 25 & have established sensible drinking mannerisms. Since a lot of these heavy liquors can result in violent tempers which results in bar fights, physical abuse of children & spouses & generally relate to drunk driving accidents & deaths or even deaths from alcohol poisoning.

I am also pretty sure certain types of knives are banned in Australia also. A family member of mine collects certain types of knives & swords & when they went to buy some they were told to get what they could then & there because the government had banned any weapon such as knives, swords etc entering the country since 911 happened. Not sure of how much truth is in what the person selling the knives said or it was just scheme to sell more & make more money.

Also if you read my post I didn't say I would like to see a total ban on gun ownership. I said I think there should be better restrictions & guidelines put in place.

If the person is a gun collector then what is the harm of making it for display purposes only & having whatever needs to be done to it to render it useless as a physical weapon if someone were to get their hands on it. I know my relative would be happy to buy knives & swords that would cause no harm as they buy them purely for display purposes & the designs etc they have on the handles or blades.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:22 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Quote:
If the person is a gun collector then what is the harm of making it for display purposes only & having whatever needs to be done to it to render it useless as a physical weapon if someone were to get their hands on it.
Being able to fire the guns is part of the reason for collecting them. I collect guns, and they aren't just for looking at, all of mine work or will work when I get the parts needed to repair the ones that don't.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,255,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Being able to fire the guns is part of the reason for collecting them. I collect guns, and they aren't just for looking at, all of mine work or will work when I get the parts needed to repair the ones that don't.
We just went through a lengthy repair process to repair a Type 90 Arisaka Japanese rifle that my grandfather brought back from Japan during WWII, we tried to get it in firing order before he passed, but it was completed just afterwords.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:34 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,087,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no one special View Post
Oh I forgot one of my favorite little sayings I heard that should be at the end of my post....

"You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands!"
I did! Dug the guy up and took his gun!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:39 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
when the good guys have guns it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,087,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when the good guys have guns it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.
Actually the careful studies find that it leads to significantly higher suicide rates and domestic abuse deaths.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually the careful studies find that it leads to significantly higher suicide rates and domestic abuse deaths.
i live alone and my greatest pleasure is disappointing my enemies.
why should i help them?
as to careful studies yes a proven fact if you have no weapon the only person
that will hurt you with a weapon will be someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates