U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 05:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,061,524 times

Advertisements

Thx Noahma. But some of the other guys want me strung up.

I'm trying to be nicer. Honest. It's a "Turn the other cheek, even though the other guy is an insulting moron" sort of philosophy.

No particular people, just in general, but especially not my bud rl, who is slowly coming around. And he's funny, and knows, apparently, the intense smell of Cordite. A particularly rarified club to belong to; "The Cordite Crew". Naval big guns! Whew.. that stuff is neat! I remember it from when I was in the honorable and terrifying Canadian Army (Seaforth Highlanders. Kilt, BSA-modified target .303 Enfields for 1000 yard competitions, FN CALs, Browning 9mm Hi-Powers, Sten/Sterlings and all...). And West German Leopard tanks with rubber tires! And Cordite.

(X'cuse me... I gotta go to the darkened bathroom for a bit....)

Last edited by rifleman; 10-25-2008 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,764,604 times
I was just thinking, Rifleman, that I love the aroma of cordite. Wonder if it could be made into a cologne or maybe one of those fancy candles?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I was just thinking, Rifleman, that I love the aroma of cordite. Wonder if it could be made into a cologne or maybe one of those fancy candles?
Hmmm a Cordite candle. The artillery guys in our reenactment club would like that! They could drift off to sleep in their tents and have sweet dreams amidst the aroma of a 12 pounder. My Dad woulda liked that to ..he was a Gunners Mate Guns for 12 years before heading off to OCS and going admin. He crewed 40 mill Bofors all the way up to 16 inch Naval Rifles.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,250,335 times
just posting in regards to a post by RL in a constitutional thread, which should not have been steered into an anti-gun direction. He had posted in response to one of mine

"It is an illusion to believe that guns keep you safe.
A gun is nothing more than a tool and giving any idiot who believes being armed turns him into John Rambo ,only places more people in danger instead of adding safety."

well......

http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles/165476.pdf

"Most notable has been a much publicized
estimate of 2.5 million DGUs,"

"the DGU numbers are in the right
ballpark, millions of attempted assaults,
thefts, and break-ins were
foiled by armed citizens during the 12-
month period. According to these results,
guns are used far more often to
defend against crime than to perpetrate
crime. (Firearms were used by
perpetrators in 1.07 million incidents
of violent crime in 1994, according to
NCVS data.)"

they ARE used for self defense, Several members of City-Data have shared there personal experiences with using them for self defense.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,061,524 times
Default Pls explain

sorry, Noahma.. DGUs? Pls explain what these are.

Another supporting link would presumably be "The Armed Citizen" in the NRA;s monthly pub. As you may well know, they only quote what police reports, newspapers or citizens report.

(Please check out my new posted thread in Great Debates about being an American. Thx!)

Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
Where I live we have a carry permit law and frankly have noticed no difference in crime. Personally I think that gun control has made no difference at all and is pretty much a dead issue with most people now days. It was a eassy solution that frankly neevr worked thought of my people who thought they could eliminate crime without punishing peole that commit it.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
sorry, Noahma.. DGUs? Pls explain what these are.

Another supporting link would presumably be "The Armed Citizen" in the NRA;s monthly pub. As you may well know, they only quote what police reports, newspapers or citizens report.

(Please check out my new posted thread in Great Debates about being an American. Thx!)

Defensive gun uses

Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Well, I just found this.......

YouTube - England Gun Ban Update

sound familar?

another reason why the government should not know who legally owns guns or not!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmrqT...eature=related

"I didn't complain when they took the Benelli's because I didn't own one. I didn't complain when they took the handguns, because I am a target rifle shooter. And when they took my rifle, there was nobody left to speak for me."

Last edited by Noahma; 10-26-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Well, I just found this.......

YouTube - England Gun Ban Update

sound familar?

another reason why the government should not know who legally owns guns or not!!!

YouTube - Gun Control in Canada

"I didn't complain when they took the Benelli's because I didn't own one. I didn't complain when they took the handguns, because I am a target rifle shooter. And when they took my rifle, there was nobody left to speak for me."
There is a duty citizens of a free nation must always and faithfully discharge. That duty is to be ready and ABLE to stand in defense of that freedom notwithstanding the fact that other citizens have chosen not to do so. Those who are unwilling are no less deserving of our protection than those who are unable, as we who have the means and ability are going to be tasked to defend all equally. Seeing us willing to extend our protection thus is an example to those who heretofore failed to see the danger and ,at this point, will they be consienced into action.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times
This is a funny thread.

I repeatedly see people writing that they arent against gun ownership, just that they think it shouldn't be easy, that there should be several steps, backround checks, training , that sort of thing.
You know, the sort of things that have been required for decades.

Its a very common experience I have when talking with anti gun people.
Usually they know nothing of which they speak. They say that little Johnny wouldn't have shot little Frankie if he had to wait or take training to buy a gun. Thing is no kid can buy a gun, under 21 you cant buy a handgun & under 18 you cant buy a rifle. To buy either of these you go thru a backround check, at least one & often two or even 3. To get a hunting license you need to take a saftey course, to get a pistol permit you need to take a saftey course.
To be an anti gunner you only need to flap your gums cluelessly.
Just an observation.

In answer to the OP, no we dont need gun control, we need legislation control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates