U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,192 times

Advertisements

STill thing Uzis are part of what you should have in your own personal gun collection.

Here's a good reason why guns are senseless;

Conn. boy shoots self in head with Uzi at gun fair -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-nauzi1027,0,4836120.story - broken link)

Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,250,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
STill thing Uzis are part of what you should have in your own personal gun collection.

Conn. boy shoots self in head with Uzi at gun fair -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-nauzi1027,0,4836120.story - broken link)
the Uzi gun is a fully automatic weapon. There are very few of them owned by private citizens in this country, it requires very extensive background checks to be able to own one, and it must have been in the united states before 1980. It is very unfortunate that this kid died, his dad should have realized that an 8 year old boy most likely could not handle the power the gun produces when it recoils. One death, albeit child or adult should not prevent millions of law-abiding citizens from practicing the rights outlined in our constitution.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times
Quote:
Here's a good reason why guns are senseless
Guns are not "senseless"

Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,544,948 times
Gun control is a study in the art and science of proper firearms use.
Much of proper gun (rifle pistol and shotgun) control is in the stance, grip and for rifles particularly breathing. Each genre has it's own peculiarities and each takes a good deal of practice before the shooter becomes truly proficient.
There are many different philosophies regarding what is proper stance, but over the years shooters have learned the basics.
Rifle shooting involves the use of "iron" sights and more commonly "telescopic" sights. For beginners, I recommend a very small caliber and "light" round to learn on, and by far the best is the .22 Long Rifle. While learning with the .22 one can concentrate on the proper "weld" of the cheek (cheek weld or stock weld) to the butt-stock, one can learn the proper trigger grip and the smooth pull, follow through and let off letting the rifle fire, instead of "anticipating" it.
Pistol shooting has numerous stances but the most common are the Weaver and the Modified Weaver. There are some truly amazing pistol shots out there who compete at every level.
Shotgun shooting is a whole different art in and of itself, particularly clays, trap or sheet. Here the trigger is not pulled smoothly as with a rifle and the head is more upright and not welded to the stock in the same way, typically both eyes are open and the shooter "paints" and has a great deal of follow through, pointing the shotgun more than "aiming" it as with a rifle.

There are those out there on CD that know much more on this subject than do I but it is a fascinating study nonetheless.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,061,524 times
Unhappy How sad and avoidable. And NOT political!

Quote:
STill think Uzis are part of what you should have in your own personal gun collection.

This was, sadly, a completely avoidable tragedy that clearly shows the supervisor should have known better. It's an even sadder excuse to promote gun control, as it's unrelated. The more "senseless" item is TM's comment, which prompts me to have her check out this site:

Schoolmates mourn loss of skateboarder - Wear A Helmet.org (http://wearahelmet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemi d=49 - broken link)

My son's a very active skateboardeer and often doesn't wear a helmet because he doesn't look "tough" to his buds with a safety device on. It worries me, but kids will be kids, and they sometimes have tragic consequences. My heart goes out to this boy's family.

I'm sure I could spend the evening successfully surfing the web for deaths involving soccer, football, basketball, downhill skiing, surfing, SCUBA diving, spelunking, skydiving, lacrosse, bungie jumping, bicycle racing, snowboarding, wrestling, amateur rocketry, sailing... shall I go on, TM? There's more, many more. That old, tired saying, "If it saves the life of just one child"courtesy of Boxer and Feinstein and others shows its true idiocity in this accident. Because, obviously, if that's what we want to achieve, let's have at all of the activities I noted above. And bathrooms. And car seats. And, logically, life itself. Keep your uncontrolled conceit to yourself.

I'm furious you felt compelled to use this family's tragic loss to forward the arrogant selfish political ends of gun-banners. Too sad. I hope no such loss ever befalls you or your family. Please don't bother trying to defend your post; it's enough already.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Well said Rifleman, I'll rep ya on that one...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Guns are not "senseless"
Agreed. If guns were senseless, how come governments and militaries have so many? It takes more than nice words and idealistic thought to maintain our freedoms.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 AM

16,454 posts, read 21,465,702 times
Quote:

Full auto handguns, except maybe in .22, are pretty difficult to handle/keep aimed when fired in full auto due to recoil. Fire a 1911 (a semi-auto .45acp) for your first time and you might get a feel for why this kind of accident could happen. What happened was tragic but it in no way means guns are bad, not even machine guns. If I were to have a kid fire a full auto the first time it'd be a shoulder fired gun not a full auto handgun, but that doesn't mean they should be banned. Multiple kids drowned or were killed in car accidents while this once incident happened yet I don't see similar movements to ban cars and swimming pools. Dead is dead, tragic regardless of cause with a child like that. The British have been giving up their freedom for years for promises of increased public safety. They've lost their freedom for sure, but they haven't gotten that safety they were promised. In fact, crime has been going up there.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Full auto handguns, except maybe in .22, are pretty difficult to handle/keep aimed when fired in full auto due to recoil. Fire a 1911 (a semi-auto .45acp) for your first time and you might get a feel for why this kind of accident could happen. What happened was tragic but it in no way means guns are bad, not even machine guns. If I were to have a kid fire a full auto the first time it'd be a shoulder fired gun not a full auto handgun, but that doesn't mean they should be banned. Multiple kids drowned or were killed in car accidents while this once incident happened yet I don't see similar movements to ban cars and swimming pools. Dead is dead, tragic regardless of cause with a child like that. The British have been giving up their freedom for years for promises of increased public safety. They've lost their freedom for sure, but they haven't gotten that safety they were promised. In fact, crime has been going up there.

Well.. in order to draw the conclusions that gun ownership deters crime you need to back it up with stats. Actually crime is most likely rising in the U.K NOT because citizens do not carry firearms but because illegal immigration has become an issue.

And.. your theory can easily be disproved by the following;
Rates of Household Firearm Ownership and Homicide Across US Regions and States, 1988–1997

Although our study cannot determine causation, we found that in areas where household firearm ownership rates were higher, a disproportionately large number of people died from homicide.

The United States has higher rates of firearm ownership than do other developed nations, and higher rates of homicide.1,2 Of the 233 251 people who were homicide victims in the United States between 1988 and 1997, 68% were killed with guns,3 of which the large majority were handguns.4

I am not neccesarily against banning guns neccesarily. I have many family members that live in MT and guns are their way of life (hunting etc.). I am for ban on certain types of guns, psychological profiles done on gun owners and not allowing anyone that lives with a convicted felon (certain types of felonies) to be allowed to own them. Uzi's.. un-neccesary in my opinion. I'm also for an age restriction on who can handle guns.. 8 year olds shouldn't be firing ANY weapon..

Driving starts at 15/16 in most states.. and that should go with being able to shoot a firearm.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Quote:

Cardiovascular diseases cause 39% of all deaths in the USA per year.
Cancer 23%
Chronic respiratory disease 5.1%
Diabetes 2.9%
Influenza/Pneumonia 2.7%
Alzheimers 2.1%
Motor vehicle accidents 1.8%
Renal Failure 1.5%
Septicemia 1.3%
FIREARMS 1.2% (includes gang warfare, police shootings, and accidental deaths)

Yes, guns are the most dangerous. Quick, let's ban them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates