U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,104,740 times

Advertisements

Recently in our area, there was a three year old who supposedly shot himself in the forehead with a .44 Magnum. The investigation is ongoing.
Now, those of you with children, can you picture a child of that age being able to accurately aim and pull the trigger on a gun of that size? It doesn't ring true to me. I wholeheartedly believe that he did not do it by himself. There's no way.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,863,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Do you have ANY suggestions on how to fix this problem or no?

*Something* needs to be done...
Actually yes, and I've already stated them. Firearm education along with social programs to avert juvenile delinquency and support the parents of target groups. Money better spent in those areas than on making and enforcing new laws.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,029,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Recently in our area, there was a three year old who supposedly shot himself in the forehead with a .44 Magnum. The investigation is ongoing.
Now, those of you with children, can you picture a child of that age being able to accurately aim and pull the trigger on a gun of that size? It doesn't ring true to me. I wholeheartedly believe that he did not do it by himself. There's no way.
I would say no way...but I've never been around kids until recently when my g/f bro had a kid. She is 10 months and strong. I can imagine my girls 3 y/o newphew being able to aim the gun towards his head and push back the trigger...it would be hard, but possible IMO.

That sucks.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The subjec is Gun Control. Its the one part of thpaost I cannot edit.

I was raised with guns in the house. They were unloaded, cased and secured, and kept seperate from the ammunition that was stored in locked cases and also secured. Guns have a place in polite society. They feed us and protect us and control animal population. Skeet and competition shooting is as much a sport as falconry. I have no problem with the Constution that guarantees us the right to bear arms. I lived long enough that I understand the problems of cattle theft, poaching, the threat of large wild animals and the fox in the hen house.

I have a friend who lived in Alaska where he trapped and hunted. He is never unarmed. He has a large collection of antique and collectible knives and guns. They are secured, out of sight. and out of the reach of children.

What I fail to undestand is why some gun owners refuse to secure guns when children and unauthorized users are in the house.

Do we need gun control? .
I have family in Montana and their kids are taught how to respect guns and what they can do and that they are NOT toys, not something "cool" but are part of their culture. Because their children grow up around then with the respect for them (hunting, etc) there are no accidents. Guns are kept in locked cabinets.

That being said I personally am NOT comfortable around guns. But then again, I live on LI, NY and do not hunt nor do I have the desire. As such, I would never have a gun in my home personally becaues if I do not know how to use them safely i couldn't teach that to my children.

Guns do have their place in society for hunting, etc. Even personal protection (although again, i wouldn't want one in my house because i'd probably end up getting shot with my own gun... eek).

We do, however, need gun control. People with weapons should be required to go through a strict screening process. If they live with someone that is a felon, then they should not be allowed to have a gun. While they may use it for the right purposes, if they have a criminal element living with them then who's to say that that person would not have easy access.

We all have to have a driving test and pass before we are given a car, which can be considered a weapon because if you crash it you could kill or injure yourself. I believe that all gun carrying people should also have to be schooled and tested on use of the weapon.

AND.. i do believe that there are some guns that should NOT be allowed to be in the hands of civilians.. like semi automatic guns, machine gunes.. etc. ..Kind of accessive..

Own a gun, but be licensed and schooled in it.

We are required to have a car seat for our cars before we are allowed to drive off with our child from a hospital for the childs safety (and that is all fine with me).. so why do we not also require that every household that owns a gun have a gun case that locks safely and securely before being able to take said gun home?

I'm all for owning guns.. but we all need toown them respnsibly. Gun control is not the equivelant to banning guns.. it's just making sure that we use them safely, wisely etc.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM

How about we restructure public eduation and add a course on violence, with an emphasis on gun control. And while we're at it we can start teaching our youth to be financially responsible instead of filling their heads with hopes, dreams of changes that can be made and should be made, but will never be made? We have a small course on sex ed to prevent early pregnancy and STDs...look how far that has gotten us?
IMO there are far too many problems that all relate to eachother that cause problems with gun control. It will never be fixed and will always be far from perfect.

Perhaps they want us to debate over this and will always give us rights to guns. If they took our right away maybe they know we would rebel and become owners of illegal guns. Now you could say that they would love that because then they would have a reason to imprison more people. But c'mon, would the government really do that? They aren't that bad. Are they?

IMO it's just a necessary fight. THey come out with fingerprint controlled guns with serial tracing barrel rifling and stamps...and someone will eventually find a way to get around it. Never ends.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:38 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,930,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I have family in Montana and their kids are taught how to respect guns and what they can do and that they are NOT toys, not something "cool" but are part of their culture. Because their children grow up around then with the respect for them (hunting, etc) there are no accidents. Guns are kept in locked cabinets.

That being said I personally am NOT comfortable around guns. But then again, I live on LI, NY and do not hunt nor do I have the desire. As such, I would never have a gun in my home personally becaues if I do not know how to use them safely i couldn't teach that to my children.

Guns do have their place in society for hunting, etc. Even personal protection (although again, i wouldn't want one in my house because i'd probably end up getting shot with my own gun... eek).

We do, however, need gun control. People with weapons should be required to go through a strict screening process. If they live with someone that is a felon, then they should not be allowed to have a gun. While they may use it for the right purposes, if they have a criminal element living with them then who's to say that that person would not have easy access.

We all have to have a driving test and pass before we are given a car, which can be considered a weapon because if you crash it you could kill or injure yourself. I believe that all gun carrying people should also have to be schooled and tested on use of the weapon.

AND.. i do believe that there are some guns that should NOT be allowed to be in the hands of civilians.. like semi automatic guns, machine gunes.. etc. ..Kind of accessive..

We are required to have a car seat for our cars before we are allowed to drive off with our child from a hospital for the childs safety (and that is all fine with me).. so why do we not also require that every household that owns a gun have a gun case that locks safely and securely before being able to take said gun home?

I'm all for owning guns.. but we all need toown them respnsibly. Gun control is not the equivelant to banning guns.. it's just making sure that we use them safely, wisely etc.
I understand what you are saying and agree with you that they need to be owned responsibly , but the people who own guns and have been licensed and schooled are not the ones who are using the guns unwisely, it is the criminals who are using them unwisely, and since they were probably obtained illegally, the gun control laws wouldn't work. The only people that gun control would affect would be those that are already in compliance with the laws.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

Did you know that they have courses to obtain a carry concealed weapons permit? IT involves hours with the actual gun you will carry. There have been actions set up for some time now. I understand what people say, or believe to be right, but some people seem uneducated about what they speak of.
Personally, I think there should be certain things done, but these things don't really tie in to the reasons that are the problems. Therefore I guess there really isn't a reason to impliment more laws.
It would be like me saying there needs to be a law that once you get a car you can't drive it when there are people walking under the bridge you are going to be driving over because of the chance that you may kill them.
What are the odds? I wouldn't want crazy laws such as this.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,115,004 times
Curiously enough, the vast majority of gun crime committed within city limits are done with illegal weapons. The fact of the matter is, if a criminal wants a gun bad enough, they'll get it. That rule applies for anything really, whether it be drugs, alcohol (during prohibition..), etc.

Usually those who are pro-gun control know nothing about guns or the screening process you must go through in order to even get close to one. There was an episode of an excellent television program called "30 Days" where a stereotypical Boston Liberal learned the truth about guns, and became more tolerant on the issue.

Sure, gun crime and violence is bad, but more people drown in pools each year than are killed by guns. A worthless statistic? Perhaps. But it shows that there are a lot of risks, and there are a lot of chances involved in life. There are things that kill far more people than guns ever could that are not addressed.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM

795 posts, read 2,036,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I think everyone should have to go through a gun safety class, even if there are no guns in their house. That way if they ever are in a house with a gun they won't be thinking "Hey a cool new toy. I wonder how it works?"
If one want's a hunting license one has to show proof of gun safety training. Only us old coots have grandfather rights...

Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM

795 posts, read 2,036,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Do we need gun control? .
I have two hands now that do very nicely controlling me banger. Another one would be in the way.

More people are 'killed' by the medical profession than by firearms. We need more laws protecting us from them killing quacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates