Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The subjec is Gun Control. Its the one part of thpaost I cannot edit.

I was raised with guns in the house. They were unloaded, cased and secured, and kept seperate from the ammunition that was stored in locked cases and also secured. Guns have a place in polite society. They feed us and protect us and control animal population. Skeet and competition shooting is as much a sport as falconry. I have no problem with the Constution that guarantees us the right to bear arms. I lived long enough that I understand the problems of cattle theft, poaching, the threat of large wild animals and the fox in the hen house.

I have a friend who lived in Alaska where he trapped and hunted. He is never unarmed. He has a large collection of antique and collectible knives and guns. They are secured, out of sight. and out of the reach of children.

What I fail to undestand is why some gun owners refuse to secure guns when children and unauthorized users are in the house.

Do we need gun control? .

since I came into this debate really late I can answer this question the way I know.

gun control is good for those that have been convicted of violent crime. all other laws against the law abiding are worthless and useless to prevent or deter crime.

when you keep the lawful and law abiding citizen from having or using a firearm in their defense through the passage of victim disarmanent laws, the people making the laws are in fact aiding and abetting the criminal while they are commiting the crime.

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 12-04-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,322,821 times
I seriously doubt that we could convince any liberal gun graber that they are safer with law abiding citizens having guns than with them not having them.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I seriously doubt that we could convince any liberal gun graber that they are safer with law abiding citizens having guns than with them not having them.

of course not, but then again we might be able to get them all to move to kalifornia and the upper eastern seaboard.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,271 times
Good, move them ALL to California, then detatch it from the rest of the US. Make sure Nancy Pelosi is onboard first.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Chuck Schummer = Da Debil.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,098 times
"Gun" control has never reduced crime. Criminals already operate outside the bounds of the law, so obviously any gun control legislation will not affect them. Only honest citizens obey the law, what ever it may be. Honest citizens have the natural right of self defense. The police, while a good and necessary thing in modern society will not always be there in time to prevent a crime, prevent a rape or save your life or the life of a loved one. Modern societies absolutely rely on the individual citizen being able to protect themselves, and the most effective means for self defense is a firearm. Criminals will ALWAYS look for the weakest, most defenseless person to victimize.....because of virtually guaranteed success in their criminal intent.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
"Gun" control has never reduced crime. Criminals already operate outside the bounds of the law, so obviously any gun control legislation will not affect them. Only honest citizens obey the law, what ever it may be. Honest citizens have the natural right of self defense. The police, while a good and necessary thing in modern society will not always be there in time to prevent a crime, prevent a rape or save your life or the life of a loved one. Modern societies absolutely rely on the individual citizen being able to protect themselves, and the most effective means for self defense is a firearm. Criminals will ALWAYS look for the weakest, most defenseless person to victimize.....because of virtually guaranteed success in their criminal intent.

all gun control laws are there for is to make the the general populace feel good and to force the law abiding citizen to give up their liberties.

no gun control law has ever stopped a criminal from crimes, otherwise they would not be a criminal but a law abiding citizen.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Glad to see you're a legal gun-toter, and that you appreciate my attempts at levity. If you don't, I'll put you on my list for more deadly-serious responses, no bad attempts at humor. Actually you sound like a person with similar ideas to mine, no contest. We won't have to come for you after all!

Well, the illicit, violent gang-related use of guns by inner city ghetto kids is certainly not helped by their often compromised educational opportunities, which we as a society should address ASAP. A proven sitch in Watts, west LA, Inglewood, Chicago, Santa Ana, Detroit, Windsor, Baltimore. And on and on.

Who, exactly, threw out the idea that poor education might affect kids' lifestyle choices, gang involvement and bad behavior? The Democrat Party? The wonderful Maxine Waters, racist-extreme, is now railing for the government to $pend bou-coo buck$ to upgrade LA's (actually, her district's) school system. Good for her, maybe. If it's monitored to control $illy $pending $prees, I agree.

Perhaps I misunderstand your remark?
thanks for asking. a difference of opinion but i understand why that is an important subject to you, education. i was talking about parenting. you dont have to have a great education to be a good parent and raise a good kid. you dont have to be rich or smart to be a good kid. we have sort of started to look to the schools to be the parents big big mistake. the state is not very good at raising kids. people have completely lost sight of the concept of parenting, at great cost to us all.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,413,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
they tend to ignore even the most scientific of studies done by our government on gun control, and its lack of lowering violent crime. And how it actually increases violent crime

Old 12-05-2008, 02:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
I've been around firearms and the shooting sports since I was old enough to walk. My Father was a Naval officer and competed on the Navy's shooting team( PACFLTS Subic Bay) for the four years we were in the PI and then was loaned out to the All Service squad for the 1969 Camp Perry match. He taught me more than I can remember about shooting and firearms. I've raised my son with the shooting sports too, and he starts competition in Steel Challenge next Spring. This is the type of thing that the hoplophobes want to take away. I just don't get it...probably never will. Why is a time honored martial tradition like the shooting sports such a target for fear and hatred? Getting a first rifle or going on a first deer camp has been a right of passage for soooo many and it seems to me that the kids that have grown up with these traditions are the ones LEAST likely to take a gun to school too settle a schoolyard scrap. It baffles me how many people just can't see past their own preonceptions and insist that the whole world conform to their own narrow view, all the while trumpeting the bugle of "tolerance". Therfore, I aim my next comments square at the "gun control" crowd. Stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours. I CHOOSE to be armed and to raise my kids with the shooting sports and ALL the traditions and responsibilities that entails. If that bothers some folks thats OK. Those folks need not join me at the range or on my hunting camp. It's a free country...right?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates