U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
 
37 posts, read 57,796 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I am curious to know all those who say by enforcing gun control & firearm bans on selected weapons only allows the criminals more power & render law abiding citizens defenseless. How would you feel if it was your child or sibling that went to look at the guns despite all their education & training that was instilled in them only for them to accidentally shoot & kill themselves.
Also I understand that people have the right to bare firearms but what if you are presented with a situation where you may have to use that weapon. How will you feel if you offload a full round in to someone killing them only to find out that they weren't actually breaking into your apartment they actually got confused & lived in the building above you & you just killed someone who was harmless. Or even if you are facing a criminal & instead of just shooting them & wounding them so they can't attack you you again offload a full round in to them & kill them before they can shoot you. Doesn't that make you just as bad as the criminal because then you are not really using it for self defense you are then using it to kill a person which no matter how you look at it is murder.
If you wish to own a fire arm for self defense then surely a had gun will suffice as there are ways to wound a person enough to be safe with out killing them & with the proper training then you can learn how to use that weapon simply for self defense.

 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,369,481 times
Reputation: 4015
Quote:
Originally Posted by potstirrer View Post
I am curious to know all those who say by enforcing gun control & firearm bans on selected weapons only allows the criminals more power & render law abiding citizens defenseless. How would you feel if it was your child or sibling that went to look at the guns despite all their education & training that was instilled in them only for them to accidentally shoot & kill themselves.
Also I understand that people have the right to bare firearms but what if you are presented with a situation where you may have to use that weapon. How will you feel if you offload a full round in to someone killing them only to find out that they weren't actually breaking into your apartment they actually got confused & lived in the building above you & you just killed someone who was harmless. Or even if you are facing a criminal & instead of just shooting them & wounding them so they can't attack you you again offload a full round in to them & kill them before they can shoot you. Doesn't that make you just as bad as the criminal because then you are not really using it for self defense you are then using it to kill a person which no matter how you look at it is murder.
If you wish to own a fire arm for self defense then surely a had gun will suffice as there are ways to wound a person enough to be safe with out killing them & with the proper training then you can learn how to use that weapon simply for self defense.
What if's I can't argue.....anyone can come up with enough what if's to call anyone out with. In the situation where someone is breaking into your home by force or breaking a window there is no question your family and friends don't do that. If you hear a lock being unlocked with a key and you shot them then you need to be examined.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

I'm forced to have a lock on my gun?

That takes 30 seconds away from me being able to respond.....what if you wake up and the criminal is standing there....do you have 30 seconds? And yes I have a lock for my gun.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Lynbrook
517 posts, read 2,238,658 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
there is a very big difference between driving a car and having the right to own a firearm. We are constitutionally guaranteed the Right to own a firearm, and to self defense. We are not given the right to own an automobile, that is a privilege.
I understand your point but we have to remember that the constitution was written by a fledgling nation that just overthrew the prior government and the idea was to make sure that citizens could defend themselves against another corrupt government. Obviously cars did not exist then. The fact remains that both can hurt or kill in the wrong hands.

I agree that gun control will not prevent all criminals from getting guns but it might prevent those disturbed individuals like the young man who killed students at Virginia Tech. Of course, there needed to be more than just gun control laws in that case, but it needs to start somewhere. In terms of gun control laws, I would say that the most important one would be stiffer penalties for having an unregistered/illegal firearm.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,228 posts, read 72,288,168 times
Reputation: 47446
the only gun control that should exist is better aim.
NRA yes. when we are no longer punished for self defense, when personal injury law suits are not longer allowed if injury occurs in the commission of a crime, crime will disappear.
fyi priority of the government and law enforcement is control of the populous. the objective is no longer eradication of crime or to protect the public.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
 
48 posts, read 168,543 times
Reputation: 46
Gun Control- no way. Get rid of it. It only means one thing. More government tyranny.

Automatic firearms (or any firearm for that matter) should not be banned. The only reason the government wants them banned is that so you, the people, will not out arm them when they knock on your door and demand (bully) that you pay your taxes (another subject for another day.)

Most people that believe gun control is what it takes to reduce crime are foolish and they have zero street smarts. I am a survivalist. I want as many guns as I can get my hands on. My son has been well trained and knows exactly what a gun will do. And he doesn't bring friends over when I am not home because that is what I have taught him to do. That is called parenting. If my family is threatened I am not afraid to do whatever it takes to protect them. And an unloaded gun with the ammo on another story of the house just doesn't protect the family much.

I see not one person here who has stated why the 2nd amendment was written in the first place. If you don't know the answer just ask and all of us avid constitution readers can fill you in. There should never, ever, ever be a law that changes anything in the constitution! You might as well just say we don't have one anymore then, because that is exactly what you mean if you think even registering a gun is right. Just because it is a law does not make it right. It is against the constitution to have to register a gun.

I think if none of you knew who was caring a gun or not because anyone and everyone could carry one if they wanted to then it would certainly make you a much nicer person...don't ya think?

I took the concealed permit course for my local county and I DID NOT have a gun present doing so. In fact, they don't even know if I can fire one or not. All I had to do was listen to the safety instructor and get a background check. But I believe it is wrong that I had to do anything like this. The only reason you have to register a gun is so the government knows where all the guns are and when they are ready to take over they will come for the gun owners first leaving the rest of the population helpless. Wake up people. Guns are not your problem. Stop dumbing the rest of us down because you don't get the whole picture. You (we) have a tyrannical government that has to be stopped and there are people coming on this thread screaming of more gun control? And you will be the first person to steal food when the supermarket business crashes because you weren't smart enough to store some for yourself.

I see a lot of grasshoppers on this thread and not enough ants. Where are all the ants? Can we start our own forum?
 
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
 
48 posts, read 168,543 times
Reputation: 46
Oh I forgot one of my favorite little sayings I heard that should be at the end of my post....

"You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands!"

I would never turn in my guns. The above applies. At all times. Forever.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,240,587 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I understand your point but we have to remember that the constitution was written by a fledgling nation that just overthrew the prior government and the idea was to make sure that citizens could defend themselves against another corrupt government. Obviously cars did not exist then. The fact remains that both can hurt or kill in the wrong hands.

I agree that gun control will not prevent all criminals from getting guns but it might prevent those disturbed individuals like the young man who killed students at Virginia Tech. Of course, there needed to be more than just gun control laws in that case, but it needs to start somewhere. In terms of gun control laws, I would say that the most important one would be stiffer penalties for having an unregistered/illegal firearm.
the constitution is not a document of convinience that some attempt to make it. History has shown time and time again that the first thing a government will do when it wants to take complete power is to disarm the peoples. Our forfathers recognized the government as well as other people can be corrupt and the peoples need to have a way to defend themselves from that corruption. The VT shooting is a very different animal than what has happened in the past. There were some breakdowns of the system (of control of firearms) that is already in place. Teachers had turned him in as being unstable, psycolagists had done the same thing, by law and following the two previous examples he should not have been able to get firearms.

I will leave you with these quotes that are just as true today as when they were said.

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.


"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

"To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character."
---Alexander Hamilton

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. "
---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.


"The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[i]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of. "
---Albert Gallatin to Alexander Addison, Oct 7, 1789, MS. in N.Y. Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Not where you ever lived
11,544 posts, read 25,028,256 times
Reputation: 6181
I certainly like the idea of very expensive bullets sold only in bulk to licensed hunters, and at cost to law enforcement.
 
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,177,434 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I certainly like the idea of very expensive bullets sold only in bulk to licensed hunters, and at cost to law enforcement.
In most gun stores, most law enforcement agents get discounts for their off duty weapons but I do not understand your logic behind expensive bullets being sold in bulk to licensed hunters.
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM
 
27,903 posts, read 33,369,481 times
Reputation: 4015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
In most gun stores, most law enforcement agents get discounts for their off duty weapons but I do not understand your logic behind expensive bullets being sold in bulk to licensed hunters.
It's trying to hide banning guns....the only next logical step is business start going under because people can't afford to buy their products.

We should do the same for abortion make it to where it's $50,000 just to have one....see how ludicrous that sounds?

No pot shots just an example as if it were another constitutional right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top