U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,391,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
In those cases, if they're registered to vote in their location of primary residence, it doesn't matter how involved they get into the activities/politics of their college town, they can't vote there, and they likely cannot run for public office there either.
Voter registration is fluid. If you want to change your residences - and your voter registration - once a year, you can do so. If you're a college student, and you're registered at home, you negate your home registration once you register at your school residence. It's not a big deal.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 AM

25,441 posts, read 14,529,032 times
Why shouldn't college students vote? They are as informed as any other voter will be, likely uninformed.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,164,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
They are the ones that will end up inheriting the debt and the problems of the upcoming administration.
And yet they have shown a trend of voting for people who increase that debt.

BTW, yes they should be able to vote.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:17 PM

25,441 posts, read 14,529,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And yet they have shown a trend of voting for people who increase that debt.

BTW, yes they should be able to vote.
That is because most politicians believe in the Mystery Science Theater 3000 three princples of public speaking:
  1. Lie
  2. Lie
  3. Lie

Seriously, try finding a truly honest politican that didn't just start to become one and you'll likely find no one. They all claim they have ways to cut the debt but end up averting that due to special interests or no one listens to them. Case in point, Senator Ted Kennedy was into Universal Health Care for YEARS. Wasn't Obamacare signed into law when Senator Kennedy was on his death bed?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,371,586 times
I have voted most of my adult life (which has been a prety long time).
It's been a huge waste of time and energy and hardly affects the outcome of anything really relevant to me any more.
The illusion of making a difference, or doing your civic "duty" is vastly over-hyped.
Both parties are in collusion with the major power elites, whether business or labor.
If we had a parliamentary system maybe my interests would stand a chance of being represented, but THAT ain't happening.
..Oh yeah, if I don't vote, I still can complain, not that it matters.
Good luck kids - you'll need it!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,492,348 times
What astounds me is that it's possible for people to graduate from high schools and colleges in the United States without being able to acquire a basic grasp of how majority rule works. Its as if either small brains or willful ignorace prevents some people from being able to understand that yes, your vote counts in a republic, but so do the votes of every other adult. I grew up in the south, voting for Democrats, and yet my lack of success in picking winners (until Obama, anyway) didn't obscure my understanding of how our electoral system works.

It is the height of cynicism to state that the difference between the two American political parties are indistinguishable. It may be easy to say that if you live a life of privilege, I suppose. If you've faced a situation where your husband or wife is being deported because your government refuses to recognize the fact that you were legally married somewhere else, you might understand that our legal system isn't just an abstract concept, but one with very real consequences for American families, and there is very much a difference between the way our political parties govern on that matter.

You can certainly keep complaining whether or not you vote, such is the beauty of our constitution's first amendment. And the rest of us are equally free to continue recognizing that your complaints are pointless if you don't bother to vote. Quite frankly I'm glad that some of you aren't participating in our system.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM

5,662 posts, read 3,206,067 times
If you don't think that college students should vote, then I suppose you absolutely don't think that 18 year old HS students should vote either. Better ammend the Constitution then (good luck) and maybe only over 21, white, male, property owners should be the only US citizens who should vote too.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,840,730 times
To put it another way:

Q: Should those citizens who meet the residency requirements for voting (no more than 30 days in any state) be denied the right to vote just because they are enrolled in a college?

A: How much more obvious can the answer 'no' ever be?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 4,919 times
If they are of legal voting age they can use an Absentee ballot from their home state.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,514,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg1252 View Post
If they are of legal voting age they can use an Absentee ballot from their home state.
Vote in their home districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or