U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:11 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

OK, I started reading today from when I last posted, back in 2008. (Post #54, 9/12/2008) I posted some links (some now say broken, so I guess they've changed) that show that college students can vote in their college towns, even if they live in the dorms. Like other people who maintain second homes, they get to decide where they want to vote.

A student who lives in a town in a dorm for four years probably has more knowledge about the town than someone who bought a McMansion there a month ago.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 AM

14 posts, read 13,081 times
Of course they should. As long as they satisfy whatever statutes they need to, to become a resident of the state. The United States was built so that citizens can freely move about the country to whatever state they want. That is the right of every citizen. Who is to say they are not going to stay there?

It would not be abuse as long as they are a legal resident. Whether they are going to stay for the long term is not something for the state to decide. As a legal resident, they have an interest in the state's politics and should be allowed to vote. That is not abuse, that is democracy.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:09 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,470,936 times
Many college students are quite clueless about registering to vote and ramifications.

EXAMPLE........St Cloud MN

In 2008, the local school district wanted to pass an additional operating levy that would raise property taxes for St Cloud homeowners. It appeared it would be defeated.

Proponents of the levy worked hard registering St Cloud State college students as St Cloud residents. They also asked for their support for the local operating levy.
The operating levy passed by a very narrow margin.
Despite being defeated in every other voting precinct, the margin of approval in the 2 college precincts was overwhelming enough to pass it.

Thus, college students living in college dorms got to vote to raise property taxes on homeowners knowing it would not affect them in the least.

The real "kicker" was when those college students started to get notification for Jury duty.
( the county jury list is picked from the voter registration list)

Many college students completely ignored their jury duty and when future follow up notices came they stated they were not residents of St Cloud and thus had no jury obligation.

Is this how stupid some college kids are ?
Register to vote as St Cloud residents then later deny you are a resident ?

Any student making that claim should have been arrested for voter fraud.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I started reading today from when I last posted, back in 2008. (Post #54, 9/12/2008) I posted some links (some now say broken, so I guess they've changed) that show that college students can vote in their college towns, even if they live in the dorms. Like other people who maintain second homes, they get to decide where they want to vote.

A student who lives in a town in a dorm for four years probably has more knowledge about the town than someone who bought a McMansion there a month ago.
However, the student who lives in a college dorm does not pay one cent in property taxes and is unaffected if a vote passes to raise local property taxes.

The McMansion owner is a taxpayer and is affected by that local vote to raise property taxes.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:20 AM

30,402 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStyle View Post
...The United States was built so that citizens can freely move about the country to whatever state they want. ...
Actually, it was "built" to get away from the tyranny of kings.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:51 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,097,812 times
Default Should college students be allowed to vote?

Is there a constitutional restriction against them?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Yes, college students should be allowed to vote.

They ,,should.... be intelligent enough not to deny their dorm residency when jury notices arrive and the have listed their dorm as their residency when they voted to raise the city's property tax rates.

It makes the university they are attending appear to be doing a lousy job of educating.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:12 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
i feel you need to be a property owner before being allowed to vote on local issues, that have more invested into the community than renters

Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
College students should be allowed to vote by absentee ballot using their home address.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:58 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I own homes in two states. I have to decide where I am a resident and pay taxes to the state of my primary residence. I'm a resident of NYS, pay taxes, serve jury duty, and vote here; I have no say/vote in VT in local elections or school budget matters. I've owned up there for over 10 years, yet a renter who moved in 6 months ago has more say than I, despite my having volunteered and participated in myriad community civic events, as well as taking an interest in local budgets.

College students should vote on any and all elections based upon their home address, not a temporary one like a dorm. Let their vote impact their own community as they are far more familiar with them. Someone buying a house in a community engages in some degree of due diligance; they want to know about schools, community, traffic, crime, taxes, amenities, etc. What university student will know specifics about town budgets, union contracts, policing, etc. in which their university is located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or