U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,273 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

i wonder if the situation was reversed and obama had palin do you think the right wingers would be howling with fury at a teenage girl with a baby and slinging all kinds of mud at the family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
Reputation: 4133
Good point, OP! For me, it doesn't matter, male for female, I stand on the opposite end of the spectrum in almost everything...
I never base my support for a candidate based on sex, race or religion/lack of. I base it solely on the issues and where the candidate stands.
__________________
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Henry David Thoreau


forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 05:43 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,273 times
Reputation: 67
you know the more i think about it ,it must be a nightmare to be in a situation where you have to try to please everyone everyday....and if you slip even a little you will be under a microscope for days and weeks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Northern Nevada
61 posts, read 239,656 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i wonder if the situation was reversed and obama had palin do you think the right wingers would be howling with fury at a teenage girl with a baby and slinging all kinds of mud at the family?
Sure, some would. But for the most part, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:14 PM
 
3,612 posts, read 4,038,124 times
Reputation: 2113
Default Did you close your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I have a 34 y/o friend who has a 15 year old son because he thought condoms would prevent pregnancy.
I have dozens of friends whose kids have made it successfully to college without getting pregnant because they had access to birth control.

Your comment gives me insight in to your mind set though. You’d rather bring up the exception rather than the rule. You do agree that condoms help prevent unwanted pregnancy?

Regardless, the issue of an unmarried pregnant teenage daughter would have many people concerned whether the Governor was male or female. A lot of working mothers I talk to are especially bothered as this pregnancy undermines their abstinence stance with their daughters.

I contend that a male Governor wouldn’t have even been asked to run with McCain under these circumstances because as you say, “it would have been political suicide”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 2,672,235 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Do you think Obama truly wanted a guy who has made racist comments about him and said that he was not experienced enough to lead as his VP? I personally think Obama could have picked at least a dozen other people he would PREFER to be on the ticket with him. But he knows that inexperience is his biggest problem, and felt Biden would help him pacify the left.
Biden made racist comments about Obama??? When?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Northern Nevada
61 posts, read 239,656 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine what the Republican nominee for VP would mean to you if he was a male with the same record as Mrs. Palin.
Ok, I imagined Mr. Palin instead of Mrs. Palin. Same situation, different sex. I imagine some differences and some similarities.

Differences:
McCain's chances of getting elected, I imagine, would be slightly lower.
Public interest in the Republican VP nominee would not be what it currently is. I believe enthusiasm for McCain, by Republicans, would also be less.

Similarities:
ABC, NBC, CBS, the Associated Press, and many other media outlets would still be fawning over Obama and attacking the Republican nominees. Only the attacks would be a bit different. I doubt we would see as many questions asked about the effects of Mr. Palin's time away from his 5 kids and other family duties as we see asked of Mrs. Palin. But, we would still see "news" stories referring to Obama as "Senator" and Palin as "former Mayor of a small town". We would still see outrageous attacks by Democrats, but probably not things like South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler saying Palin's only qualification is not having had an abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It paints a very different picture doesn’t it?
A slightly different picture, not very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Suddenly it doesn’t feel like change at all but just more of the same. Suddenly you’re forced to think about what the Governor’s positions on topics really mean-
I disagree. What feels like change is not only that Palin is female, but that the Palin pick came out of nowhere. Most all speculation about who McCain would pick was wrong, and his pick demonstrates that things will not be more of the same. My thoughts about the Governer's positions are no different if the Governer is male or female.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The national debt, you remember, still seems outrageous and you wonder what this upstart could or would do about it if the office of President befell him.
I would not think any differently of the Governer's qualifications to be President. Whether it's Mr. Palin or Mrs. Palin, I believe the Governer is qualified to step in as President, and would be a better one than Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Then you might wonder, is this guy really qualified, why’d McCain pick him anyway?
No, I wouldn't wonder that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The issues that face Alaska aren’t anything like the issues that face me or my family!
An irrelevant statement, whether you're talking about the home state of Palin, Biden, McCain, or Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I’ve heard a lot about discrimination with regards to the Governor of Alaska lately but if you can’t visualize a man garnering even half as much of your attention then who’s the one discriminating?
Sure, I visualize a man getting less of my attention, but an equal amount of support. There's no doubt Sarah Palin is getting much more attention in the US overall than would be the case if the VP nominee was male. McCain made a brilliant choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
 
2,765 posts, read 6,372,986 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine what the Republican nominee for VP would mean to you if he was a male with the same record as Mrs. Palin. It paints a very different picture doesn’t it?
It depends on who your asking, but I was going to vote for McCain regardless of who he picked for VP anyway. To me Palin makes his ticket that much better.

Change can be good, but change just for the sake of change is another thing. I'm no George W. Bush apologist by any means, but McCain is not Bush. Obama to me doesn't really offer the change people are believing he'll bring anyway, because he puts up a change poster on his podium that means he's going to bring different and better things to America? Please, talking the talk and walking the walk are two different things.

The reality is McCain picked Palin, and if that helps him get elected where he otherwise wouldn't I'm all for it. Don't think for a second Obama doesn't wish he could go back and choose Hillary because he feels it probably would have helped him get elected after all. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,273 times
Reputation: 67
i just don't think in my opinion that someone who was gov of a state that has less people than most major cities in america is qualified to be president if somthing should happen to mccain.... senate jobs no......congress nope...i mean she took over as mayor of that little town and was so incompentent they had to hire an outside administrater to take over and do the work....the town had a 0 deficit when she was elected and she left a 22 million dollar debt...i am not bashing her but
Mcains age worries me and if god forbid something did happen to him if he were president she could spell trouble for an entire nation.At least Obama picked a guy who knows his way around Washington so if something happens we have a guy who can step in and do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
Reputation: 2992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I have dozens of friends whose kids have made it successfully to college without getting pregnant because they had access to birth control.

Your comment gives me insight in to your mind set though. You’d rather bring up the exception rather than the rule. You do agree that condoms help prevent unwanted pregnancy?
Nope, just pointing out that saying they weren't using any birth control method is nothing more than a guess that looks to bolster one side of the argument at the expense of not using facts.
I think birth control is valuable, but no one should confuse the fact that abstinence is the only thing that is 100% failproof. Of course, people should consider that in the sex glamourized age we live in, very few make it through the teens and early twenties without having sex. I don't support abstinence only, but I also don't support handing out condoms at school. Kids know where to buy them and there are no age restrictions to do so.


Quote:
Regardless, the issue of an unmarried pregnant teenage daughter would have many people concerned whether the Governor was male or female. A lot of working mothers I talk to are especially bothered as this pregnancy undermines their abstinence stance with their daughters.
I know people who are fine with the pregnancy because they realize that just because you suggest the best way to do things to your kids, most of the time they have to touch the hot stove before they find out it really does burn. The parents turning their backs on a kid when they make a mistake is a bad example of parenting. Accepting the mistakes and consequences that go with them and still loving children just as much is a sign of a strong family bond. I know I would have been up the creek without a paddle if my parents had turned their back on me when I was going through my teen years and got in big trouble a few times even though I knew damn good and well what was right and what was wrong. I just had to let the stove burn me before I realized it really will burn, and fortunately mom and dad were there to pick me up and get me headed in the right direction with discipline measured with love.

Quote:
I contend that a male Governor wouldn’t have even been asked to run with McCain under these circumstances because as you say, “it would have been political suicide”.
This is simply a hypothetical for either one of us. I don't believe it would have been too big of a deal. I'm more concerned about the person running and their politics, not their family. Lieberman could have had 3 kids that were perfect saints that cured world hunger and brought world peace, but if Lieberman were still the same squirelly guy that bounces around on the political map like a ping pong ball in a Chinese ping pong tournament, I would have eliminated any possibility that I would vote for McCain on the spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top