U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,676 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

it's not so much where she served it's how badly she served...like i said before if something happens to mccain should he be chosen america is in a world of hurt with palin.... palin husband to testify....http://news.aol.com/political-machin...-troopergate/5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,778,864 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
A guy with her qualifications would not have been picked. Palin was picked because she is a woman, and secondly, because she has the keys to Alaska oil and gas.

McCain's camp wanted a woman, because Hillary was gone, and they wanted to capitalize on that.

She will also be easy to manipulate, because she is so heady with the power already. A well-seasoned governor wouldn't be so easy.
i noticed that most of the democrats are staying away from the alaska oil and gas issue. they understand that this is partially why she was chosen and that she will be an asset in the general election, as opposed to obama telling us to keep air in our tires for better fuel economy. americans have been struggling with the gas prices and would certainly be pleased with becoming self sufficient. that is a big plus for mccain. by the way, if she has any power at all now it is mostly from the democrats pitting her against the presidential choice, obama, which shows exactly what a strong pick she has been. why aren't the democrats talking about biden's good points versus palin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,676 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i noticed that most of the democrats are staying away from the alaska oil and gas issue. they understand that this is partially why she was chosen and that she will be an asset in the general election, as opposed to obama telling us to keep air in our tires for better fuel economy. americans have been struggling with the gas prices and would certainly be pleased with becoming self sufficient. that is a big plus for mccain. by the way, if she has any power at all now it is mostly from the democrats pitting her against the presidential choice, obama, which shows exactly what a strong pick she has been. why aren't the democrats talking about biden's good points versus palin?
Only because her oil connections are obvious...if you want to drill in alaska who better than the gov to get it done?....TPMMuckraker | Talking Points Memo | Palin's Lobbyist Has Abramoff Ties....
Untitled Page (http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2577669.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
545 posts, read 2,058,164 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
You must have missed the "for the most part" in my statement. So, I'll repeat it. Yes, some would. Most wouldn't. Assuming that every Republican would slam Biden because of an out-of-context O'Reilly clip is a convenient generalization for you. I agree that O'Reilly came across as hypocritical in his positions on the two families, but he's certainly no "right winger".
You are correct, it is a broad generalization, based on what I have seen and heard from people that I know who are Republicans. Of course, your assumption that only "some" would go off the deep end, but not "most" is also a broad generalization. It seems to me that in many cases, Republicans are die hard followers of the party line, simply repeating what they've been told by their own talking heads. And if Bill O isn't a right winger, I don't know who is. He may not be as far to the right as Ann Coulter, but he certainly isn't anywhere near the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
Palin's teenage pregnant daughter is "completely opposite" of the Republican platform? How so?
Yes, Palin's daughter being getting pregnant goes against the very platform that she runs on. I did not say it was a Republican platform, but, in fact, it has been for the run of the current administration. Palin believes in abstinence only sex education, and yet, it very obviously didn't work for her own family. To me, that's like a DARE officer who can't keep their own kids off drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
You will hear nothing negative about Obama or Biden from the talking heads on ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, the Associated Press, or most large newspapers (NY Times, for example). One major difference is that most of those "right wingers" are opinion and commentary, not news broadcasters who claim to be unbiased.
And here you are coming back at me with the "party line" that the media is inherently biased against John McCain and Sarah Palin, when in fact, I think the media has been pretty lax about not calling out the lies and deceptions the McCain camp has been spreading. One perfect example is the recent ad which talks about Obama voting against a funding bill for troops in Iraq. The ad makes it seem that Obama has voted several times again funding bills, when he has voted more than 10 times to increase spending for the Iraq war. The single time he voted against it was the funding bill that did not have a timetable for withdrawl - the previous version of the bill with a timetable is one the President himself vetoed, and McCain urged the President to veto it.

Look at factcheck.org and see how many McCain debunks there are vs. Obama debunks. I'm not saying that Obama hasn't put out false information, but there seems to be far more coming out of the McCain camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
"Woefully unqualified"? Another priceless exaggeration. Please list the exact qualifications for Vice President that Palin is lacking.
foreign policy experience, any sort of legislative experience...America, well, the Supreme Court, chose a governor for president without any foreign policy experience 8 years ago and look how well that turned out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWolf View Post
Jabs at the other party were common in both conventions. What exactly did Rudy or Sarah say that was disrespectful?
Were you really not paying attention to those speeches? Rudy was nothing but rude throughout the speech, mocking Obama for being a community organizer. Palin's speech said nothing of what she or McCain would do to help this country get back on its feet. For putting "Country First" they did an awful lot of talking about the other guy, and about themselves, and almost nothing about what they would do to put this country first.

And through all of this, the original question has never been addressed: What if Palin was a man? Would you still feel the same way? Do you think he would have been picked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,538 posts, read 35,670,187 times
Reputation: 13133
What if the Governor of Alaska was a man?


Well, he probably wouldn't look good with that silly hair-do and those funky glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 08:12 AM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,599,481 times
Reputation: 1251
I am missing the point of this Great Debate. Seems more like a comment. What is the debate point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 AM
 
3,612 posts, read 4,041,502 times
Reputation: 2113
Default Qualified VP candidate or political gambit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
I am missing the point of this Great Debate. Seems more like a comment. What is the debate point?
Here is Merriam-Webster’s definition of the word debate.

Debate: A contention by words or arguments: as a: the formal discussion of a motion before a deliberative body according to the rules of parliamentary procedure b: a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides

This forum in all sincerity does not lend itself to traditional debate but if you’d like to take issue with my topic please feel free to do so. I promise I’ll read what you write.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 09-20-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 PM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,599,481 times
Reputation: 1251
So what are the two sides? What if he was man and what if he wasn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Northern Nevada
61 posts, read 239,789 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
And through all of this, the original question has never been addressed: What if Palin was a man? Would you still feel the same way? Do you think he would have been picked?
I addressed the original question back on page 2. Yes, I would feel the same way, and yes, it's likely "he" would have been picked. No one can say for sure, though. I don't think there's any argument that Palin being female was a factor in the decision, but by no means was that the only reason. And, in hindsight, I believe it was the best choice McCain could have made.

I disagree with the assertions and presuppositions in the original post, like "Suddenly youíre forced to think about what the Governorís positions on topics really mean", and "It paints a very different picture doesnít it?". Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
 
3,612 posts, read 4,041,502 times
Reputation: 2113
Default Lock Ďer up

Circumstance has intervened and now most people I interact with donít care if the Vice Presidential candidate is a man or a woman. All they want to know is if the candidate has the character and intellect to see us through our current economic crisis should the responsibility befall them.

Since we are now seriously discussing the issues again the point of this thread is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top