Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times

Advertisements

Close your eyes for a moment and imagine what the Republican nominee for VP would mean to you if he was a male with the same record as Mrs. Palin. It paints a very different picture doesn’t it? Suddenly it doesn’t feel like change at all but just more of the same. Suddenly you’re forced to think about what the Governor’s positions on topics really mean- important topics like the soaring costs of; health care, gas, and college tuition. Does this guy even believe in a woman’s right to choose?! The national debt, you remember, still seems outrageous and you wonder what this upstart could or would do about it if the office of President befell him. Then you might wonder, is this guy really qualified, why’d McCain pick him anyway? The issues that face Alaska aren’t anything like the issues that face me or my family!

I’ve heard a lot about discrimination with regards to the Governor of Alaska lately but if you can’t visualize a man garnering even half as much of your attention then who’s the one discriminating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,042,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine what the Republican nominee for VP would mean to you if he was a male with the same record as Mrs. Palin. It paints a very different picture doesn’t it? Suddenly it doesn’t feel like change at all but just more of the same. Suddenly you’re forced to think about what the Governor’s positions on topics really mean- important topics like the soaring costs of; health care, gas, and college tuition. Does this guy even believe in a woman’s right to choose?! The national debt, you remember, still seems outrageous and you wonder what this upstart could or would do about it if the office of President befell him. Then you might wonder, is this guy really qualified, why’d McCain pick him anyway? The issues that face Alaska aren’t anything like the issues that face me or my family!

I’ve heard a lot about discrimination with regards to the Governor of Alaska lately but if you can’t visualize a man garnering even half as much of your attention then who’s the one discriminating?
Wow, this is an excellent point! I did what you suggested and pictured a middle aged white male with the exact qualifications and beliefs as Palin and it seems so obvious what the reaction would have been. It would have been viewed as reckless and a feeble attempt to portray a platform of change.

Wow.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
It just goes to show how easily the voting public get distracted by issues that have nothing to do with politics.

There are threads all over this forum about Palin - her hairstyle, whether or not people like her dress sense, or admire her parenting style - all duplicated ad nauseum in the media - and it keeps our collective eye safely off the ball.

McCain is playing us, and it's working.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:

When I close my eyes and do such, I see a nation attacking the guy for his qualifications and political career, rather than trying to not only assasinate the political character, but the family character as well as family members as we have seen with the selection of Palin. I fully believe the question of "shouldn't HE be at home with the kids" would have NEVER been asked. It is sad that there is so much sexism on the left that when a woman runs for Republican office, cries of she should be at home taking care of the kids are heard.

As for the issues of Alaska not affecting you or your family:

Does corrupt government not affect you and your family?

Does highway/energy infrastructure not affect you and your family?

Does oil and natural gas prices/production not affect you and your family?

Does government spending not affect you and your family?

Could you tell me where you live that none of those issue affect you and your family?

Though Alaska is not part of the continental US, the same issues that affect the lower 48 affect Alaska. There are certainly some that will vary, but that is the case with any state.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:06 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
He would never have been chosen. McCain is enough of a mysoginist that he thinks Palin will draw the Democrats who wanted to vote for Hillary. The only thing that Hillary and Palin have in common is they both have breasts. To McCain that is about all he sees when he looks at a woman.

Unfortunately, alot of people are going to follow the same logic. Anyone who would vote for Hillary JUST BECAUSE SHE IS A WOMAN, isn't thinking straight, anymore then someone who would vote for Obama just because he is black.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM

On the contrary, I feel McCain saw a lot more than what most Palin haters see. McCain knew that Romney's Mormon religion would be an issue both with some Christian conservatives (not me), as well as independents who dislike Mormons even more than they dislike Christians. He felt that Pawlenty did not bring enough to the ticket that would stand out or bring attention to his campaign, basically a sidekick VP choice like Dan Quayle was for GHB. Bobby Jindal is happy as governor of Louisiana and many close to him indicated he had no interest in leaving that position to run as VP. Lieberman would have been political suicide for McCain, which explains why so many Obama supporters are upset that he wasn't McCain's choice.

Which leaves Palin who would help bolster his position of coloring outside the Republican lines. Not afraid to battle those within her own party, nor afraid to work with those on the other side. One who's feet aren't cemented into a bucket of partisanship. One who hasn't been around the political scene long enough to get tied up with crooks. One who is a VERY strong supporter of the 2nd Ammendment which a lot of conservatives and independents, and even liberals find very important.

I believe McCain saw much more than a "pair of breasts" as you put it. I think the only people that just see a pair of breast are those on the left who are bitter that a woman from the right is being put on the ticket and has a chance to break a barrier that they have yet to break. They see a woman who tramples the leftist feminists ideals with her own brand of feminism that they see as threatening because they have so politicized the feminist movement that they feel any woman who opens their mouth should be on board with them. Palin is not and she breaks the leftist feminist mold so badly that they are shuddering, well, at least those that can't get past the fact that she has a pair of breast. There are a lot of women who are applauding the fact that a woman with conservative views is stepping to the forefront of this political season and representing conservative women who believe in the strength of a woman to do a lot more than stay home and take care of the kids as the left has suggested Palin should be doing.

All that being said, I've still not decided to vote for McCain, but most likely will vote third party. But I will say Palin's selection as VP was a huge step forward for McCain, and hopefully the Republican party who will have to deal with an outsider who is brave enough to stand up to the establishment in DC, something we can't expect out of Obama's choice of a 35 year Washington insider who is part of the problem, not the solution.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,042,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
On the contrary, I feel McCain saw a lot more than what most Palin haters see. McCain knew that Romney's Mormon religion would be an issue both with some Christian conservatives (not me), as well as independents who dislike Mormons even more than they dislike Christians. He felt that Pawlenty did not bring enough to the ticket that would stand out or bring attention to his campaign, basically a sidekick VP choice like Dan Quayle was for GHB. Bobby Jindal is happy as governor of Louisiana and many close to him indicated he had no interest in leaving that position to run as VP. Lieberman would have been political suicide for McCain, which explains why so many Obama supporters are upset that he wasn't McCain's choice.

Which leaves Palin who would help bolster his position of coloring outside the Republican lines. Not afraid to battle those within her own party, nor afraid to work with those on the other side. One who's feet aren't cemented into a bucket of partisanship. One who hasn't been around the political scene long enough to get tied up with crooks. One who is a VERY strong supporter of the 2nd Ammendment which a lot of conservatives and independents, and even liberals find very important.

I believe McCain saw much more than a "pair of breasts" as you put it. I think the only people that just see a pair of breast are those on the left who are bitter that a woman from the right is being put on the ticket and has a chance to break a barrier that they have yet to break. They see a woman who tramples the leftist feminists ideals with her own brand of feminism that they see as threatening because they have so politicized the feminist movement that they feel any woman who opens their mouth should be on board with them. Palin is not and she breaks the leftist feminist mold so badly that they are shuddering, well, at least those that can't get past the fact that she has a pair of breast. There are a lot of women who are applauding the fact that a woman with conservative views is stepping to the forefront of this political season and representing conservative women who believe in the strength of a woman to do a lot more than stay home and take care of the kids as the left has suggested Palin should be doing.

All that being said, I've still not decided to vote for McCain, but most likely will vote third party. But I will say Palin's selection as VP was a huge step forward for McCain, and hopefully the Republican party who will have to deal with an outsider who is brave enough to stand up to the establishment in DC, something we can't expect out of Obama's choice of a 35 year Washington insider who is part of the problem, not the solution.
So you don't believe the reports that McCain really wanted Joe Liberman and that he took Palin just to pacify the right? There have been calls for Palin from people like Kristol, Limbaugh, Newt, etc. for months - people that have been highly critical of McCain because he doesn't go along with their agenda. I do believe that he chose her strickly to pacify the right.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Default Never even up to bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I fully believe the question of "shouldn't HE be at home with the kids" would have NEVER been asked.
Don’t make the mistake of lumping media coverage in with water cooler talk. People might not say that he should be at home with his kids but they would question his judgment if he didn’t pick a mate that could take proper care of the children. Average people, not the media, would do this because judgment is a major qualifier for President of the US.

Since I’m not a member of the press I will discuss the Alaskan Governors pregnant teenage daughter. I respect the young lady for having the baby since it shows that she’s taking responsibility for her actions. Sadly for her it’s a lifelong responsibility that could have been easily postponed by providing either condoms or birth control pills. Was that not an option? Does the Alaskan Governors mate not discuss such issues with his daughter? If not then the Alaskan Governor's family is nothing like that of most Americans and further serves to prove my point.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Sadly for her it’s a lifelong responsibility that could have been easily postponed by providing either condoms or birth control pills. Was that not an option? Does the Alaskan Governors mate not discuss such issues with his daughter? If not then the Alaskan Governor's family is nothing like that of most Americans and further serves to prove my point.
I have a 34 y/o friend who has a 15 year old son because he thought condoms would prevent pregnancy.

Do we know if the father of the 17 y/o's baby was using anything or not? No, so we would be making an assumption in trying to toss in our own details for convenience of argument.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
So you don't believe the reports that McCain really wanted Joe Liberman and that he took Palin just to pacify the right? There have been calls for Palin from people like Kristol, Limbaugh, Newt, etc. for months - people that have been highly critical of McCain because he doesn't go along with their agenda. I do believe that he chose her strickly to pacify the right.

I'm sure McCain at least liked the idea of Lieberman as his running mate. But he knew Lieberman would be political suicide. How smart would it be to choose someone who you knew would not provide a boost?

Do you think Obama truly wanted a guy who has made racist comments about him and said that he was not experienced enough to lead as his VP? I personally think Obama could have picked at least a dozen other people he would PREFER to be on the ticket with him. But he knows that inexperience is his biggest problem, and felt Biden would help him pacify the left.

Same approach, different sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates