U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,186,564 times

Advertisements

For as long as I can remember, the questions have been asked:
What is a person's responsibility to other people?

What is a person's responsibility to the community?

What is the community's responsibility to it's members?

What is the community's responsibility to other communities?

Several concepts seem related to this:
Noblesse Oblige: the moral obligation of those of high birth, powerful social position, etc., to act with honor, kindliness, generosity, etc.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need: Marxist belief that one contributes what one can, and is then sufficiently given to. (Louis Blanc)

Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, and laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. (Acts 4:34-35): Arguably the Christian basis for the Marxist thought above.

With great power comes great responsibility: Uncle Ben's dictum to Peter Parker in 1962, and a theme that has underscored the notion of superheroes and others for a long time.

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country: President John F. Kennedy's words, from his Inauguration speech in 1961 - though he was not the first to say such a thing, his speech brought the words and concept to the fore.

Am I my brother's keeper?: Cain, to G-d, when asked about Abel.

Are we our "brother's keeper?" Do we have an implicit responsibility to and for other people?

Is that responsibility only to those we love, those we are related to? Does it extend to those we care about, our friends, those we merely know but to whom we are not close?

Does it extend further, to those whom we do not know?

Is a 'gift' or an ability wasted if it is not put to use for the good of humanity or, for that matter, if it is not put to use at all?

What is the difference between an obligation and a responsibility, if any?

And how far do these concepts extend, from the individual to the group to the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Personal responsibility first. Anything else is secondary, and often solved by the mere application of personal responsibility.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 40,758 times
Am I my brother's keeper? I reply with a resounding yes, kind of like the movie pay it forward, you do something for someone other than yourself with the only request to them is to do something for someone else. The world we live in now is so selfish and self gratifying its ridiculous. Not saying don't take care of yourself first, because if I can't help me how can I help you.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM

645 posts, read 804,016 times
Default We all have great power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbzny1 View Post
Am I my brother's keeper? I reply with a resounding yes, kind of like the movie pay it forward, you do something for someone other than yourself with the only request to them is to do something for someone else. The world we live in now is so selfish and self gratifying its ridiculous. Not saying don't take care of yourself first, because if I can't help me how can I help you.
We can help everyone by not commiting acts of passive violence.

A teaching of Mohandas Ghandhi is to not commit passive violence against our fellow humans. He believed these acts fueled the active violence of crime, rebellion, and war. He said, "We could work 'til doomsday to achieve peace and would get nowhere as long as we ignore passive violence in our world." Ghandi called these the 7 Blunders of the World. He developed the list as he contemplated the origins of violence.

Just before his death he gave the list to his grandson, Arun, who added an 8th Blunder

Wealth Without Work
Pleasure Without Conscience
Knowledge Without Character
Commerce Without Morality
Science Without Humanity
Worship Without Sacrifice
Politics Without Principles
Rights Without Responsibilities

Many times I lose site of his teachings, but try to come back to center. Politics without Principles is a tough one.

Ghandi said when politicians give up the pursuit of Truth they, or in the case of parties, would be doomed. Partisan politics, lobbying, and other forms of malpractice that are so rampant in politics today is also unprincipled. Politics has earned the reputation of being dirty, well I believe that we have made it dirty. We create these power groups, that are willing to do anything to achieve their goal.

The UN has declared Ghandi's birthday Oct. 2nd as the International Day of Non-Violence, just one month before the election, bittersweet.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM

517 posts, read 2,240,715 times
I agree. I believe that we all have a responsibility to our fellow man and woman. I believe that this is the key to peace and happiness. That responsibility extends to everyone. Of course, not everyone sees it that way and that's the problem.

Gandhi's list of blunders are spot on.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,514,836 times
To know is to be responsible; the greater your knowledge, the greater your responsibility.
So the greatest sin would be not wanting to know (for the reason of plausible deniability) or knowing and not acting.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM

43,858 posts, read 43,559,234 times
Even God said: "For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required..." (Luke 12:48a)

It is when this principle, regardless of someone's religious beliefs, is side-stepped that civilizations fall or dictatorships are born. Greed and a total disregard of responsibility to those around us never seems to have a good end result.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
Serrvice to others is the price we pay for hte space we occupy.

Thous shalt not kill. How many people undersand characher assinations is one more way to kill an opponent?

If you give a hand out to a man today you help fior today
If you teach a man today, you help him for a lifetime.

Labels are opinions that may or may not be true,

The greatest of these is the lesson all great relgions tried to teach: treat ptjers as upi wosj tp be treated.

Sometimes a kind word works a small miriacle in a stranger's life.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 40,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Serrvice to others is the price we pay for hte space we occupy.

Thous shalt not kill. How many people undersand characher assinations is one more way to kill an opponent?

If you give a hand out to a man today you help fior today
If you teach a man today, you help him for a lifetime.

Labels are opinions that may or may not be true,

The greatest of these is the lesson all great relgions tried to teach: treat ptjers as upi wosj tp be treated.

Sometimes a kind word works a small miriacle in a stranger's life.
I understand what you're saying, eventhough I can't read all of it( I have that problem, too. I think much faster than I type.)

I want to ask all of you to do me a favor. I would like you to go out and do or say something nice to 3 people today and give us your feedback on the person's reaction and how you felt while doing it. I have been committed to 2 people everyday since the beginning of the year, and I must sy I feel so much better about myself for it. One thing I love doing is complimenting women, i don't do it to flirt(OK maybe a little), but my pleasure comes from the smile on their face when they walk away, and knowing that I may have just improved their day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates