U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They also give somebody else's money to you. Might as well address the entire picture. We all pay, and we all benefit. Taxes are merely your share of the tab for ALL of the things that government does on our behalf. If you don't like some of the things that the government does on our behalf or would like to see some new things added to the list, speak with your elected representatives. It is they who make those decisions. Either way, whining about your share of the bill for them is just that...whining.
I recieve no benefits from Welfare, Social Security, SSI, Medicare or Medicaid.

Why should I contribute to them then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

You also pay for car insurance you may never use. You also pay for police officers you may never need to use.. in some parts of the country you pay for a fire department you may personally never need .. Taxes go to pave roads you personally may never drive on.. etc.

The programs mentioned are needed ..you may never need them.. but maybe someday, should you fall on hard times. you may need them. Those that do need them do not have the means to pay for them... but the fact that they are there keeps this country from having people slumming on the street, the elderly dying of starvation or lack of medical care..etc.

So while you may not use it per say.. we all do benefit from it in some way.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM

27,903 posts, read 33,419,281 times
I don't think anyone disagrees with how efficiently they can gather money....it's everything after that point that begins to be disturbing...

Yes I pay taxes for roads to be made and kept up.....Why is it always 10 guys standing around a hole while one guy is digging? (obviously an example)

It's like being in business and investing money back into it. You don't really want to waste your time on inefficient choices but when the government garnishes it....you have no choice.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with how efficiently they can gather money....it's everything after that point that begins to be disturbing...

Yes I pay taxes for roads to be made and kept up.....Why is it always 10 guys standing around a hole while one guy is digging? (obviously an example)

It's like being in business and investing money back into it. You don't really want to waste your time on inefficient choices but when the government garnishes it....you have no choice.

i certainly can agree that government needs to be more efficient..

Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 AM

Interstate Highways: Federal

National Defense: Federal

Welfare: State

Schools: State

Etc

In other words - if there are to be income taxes (or any tax) - the majority should be on a state and local level - not Federal.

Let local people decide what is important to THEM -

The way it should be

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM

4,708 posts, read 7,561,052 times
Quote:

Answer: Because it's the law. Maybe you prefer to follow only those laws that you personally approve of? Are you civil disobedient? Are you a selective law-abider? Do you run a red light anytime you feel like it? Selective adherence to the law would be antisocial, potentially criminal, and extremely self-centered on your part.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Answer: Because it's the law.
I follow the law - and the law allowed me to NOT pay into several of those areas -

Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,084,905 times
Quote:

You've told us many times that you don't contribute to these things. Changing your story? Internet Poser?

To answer your question, it's called a tax and if you live here, you have to pay it. Like eating in a restaurant with a fixed price menu. You pay the tab, or eat elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,737,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Answer: Because it's the law. Maybe you prefer to follow only those laws that you personally approve of? Are you civil disobedient? Are you a selective law-abider? Do you run a red light anytime you feel like it? Selective adherence to the law would be antisocial, potentially criminal, and extremely self-centered on your part.
I think you've hit on one aspect of the problem, here. Some of these Rugged Individualist® types are so into themselves and their self-proclaimed Liberty® as to have become downright anti-social. Most of them do somehow grudgingly manage to accomodate themselves to the many benefits that society provides. It's the paying-for-it-all that somehow seems to stand as the more intractable part of problem for them...

Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,561,052 times
Children especially LOVE being raised by antisocial parents. Really does wonders for their self-image and social skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or