U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
It very much depends on what you mean by health care.

If you mean emergency care in life threatening circumstances, then I agree with you.

But if you mean preventative care of the sort that leads to long term health and fewer long term issues, then I have to disagree. Income plays a major role in health care on a day to day, week to week basis.
He also neglects to add that you'll get that "emergency life saving"treatment that they are required to give everyone by law and then you'll get bill after bill after bill and probably either have to go into bankruptcy or you'll have collections on your butt.. etc etc etc.

It's called medical care via bankruptcy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
He also neglects to add that you'll get that "emergency life saving"treatment that they are required to give everyone by law and then you'll get bill after bill after bill and probably either have to go into bankruptcy or you'll have collections on your butt.. etc etc etc.
I disagree.

I know a WHOLE lot of people (we work with them) who get outstanding medical care WITHOUT EVER getting a bill - NEVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,115 posts, read 10,031,894 times
Reputation: 4133
Reports Shows How Many People Are Likely to Die in Each State Due to Lack of Health Coverage
http://www.pnhp.org/news/2008/januar..._22000_uni.php
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/...doom-6-florid/
totally unacceptable, IMO.
We spend the most money per capita, yet millions are uninsured.
We need to fix this mess.
__________________
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Henry David Thoreau


forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I disagree.

I know a WHOLE lot of people (we work with them) who get outstanding medical care WITHOUT EVER getting a bill - NEVER.

The population spans way beyond just the people you know, GreatDay. Great for those you know.. not so great for the rest of the population that ends up bankrupt as a result of needing medical attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
The population spans way beyond just the people you know, GreatDay. Great for those you know.. not so great for the rest of the population that ends up bankrupt as a result of needing medical attention.
The point is - not everyone is as you try to portray -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The point is - not everyone is as you try to portray -

Yeah.. okay GreatDay.. let's put it this way THE VAST MAJORITY!!

Just because a few people don't doesnt make it acceptable that the majority do !

Lets just say everybody accept the people Great Day knows..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. okay GreatDay.. let's put it this way THE VAST MAJORITY!!

Just because a few people don't doesnt make it acceptable that the majority do !

Lets just say everybody accept the people Great Day knows..
Let me ask you this TM: Do you work with the "at risk" population? Do you work with the homeless population? Do you work in the streets with sick people and then work to get them the healthcare they need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

Article is called Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

Most of the medical bankruptcy filers were middle class; 56 percent owned a home and the same number had attended college. In many cases, illness forced breadwinners to take time off from work -- losing income and job-based health insurance precisely when families needed it most.

Since I can only quote this one small line.. there is another line that says that that surprisingly most bankrupted by illness had health insurance!!! Yikes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask you this TM: Do you work with the "at risk" population? Do you work with the homeless population? Do you work in the streets with sick people and then work to get them the healthcare they need?

Well.. GreatDay.. a homeless person doesn't recieve bills becasue they have no address. They also get patched up so that they don't die on the hospitals watch and then send them on their way!! Besides, a homeless person qualifies for medicaid..

We're not talking about homeless people here GreatDay. We're talking about people with actual physical addresses that recieve mail. A homeless person has nothing and nothing to lose, nothing to take. They are BEYOND bankrupt.

No .. I don't work with the homeless population. I'm too busy working my butt off to pay for my ridiculous health insurance premiums and feed and house my family.

Don't deflect.. that fact has nothing whatsoever to do with the facts here GreatDAy.. and those facts are taht ..Yes, no one can be denied medical attention to save their life.. but they will also get the bill and many go bankrupt as a result. .. (the acception being those that you know.. the homeless people who can't recieve a bill because they do not have an address)

Come on...,why are you so intent to think that everything is fine and dandy with the health insurance and healthcare industry that you're willing to put forth a homeless person not recieving bills for their healthcare as an example. So now I suppose I could just become homeless and live on the streets so that I can get medical attention and have that bill forgiven...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Well.. GreatDay.. a homeless person doesn't recieve bills becasue they have no address. They also get patched up so that they don't die on the hospitals watch and then send them on their way!! Besides, a homeless person qualifies for medicaid..

We're not talking about homeless people here GreatDay. We're talking about people with actual physical addresses that recieve mail. A homeless person has nothing and nothing to lose, nothing to take. They are BEYOND bankrupt.

No .. I don't work with the homeless population. I'm too busy working my butt off to pay for my ridiculous health insurance premiums and feed and house my family.

Don't deflect.. that fact has nothing whatsoever to do with the facts here GreatDAy.. and those facts are taht ..Yes, no one can be denied medical attention to save their life.. but they will also get the bill and many go bankrupt as a result. .. (the acception being those that you know.. the homeless people who can't recieve a bill because they do not have an address)

Come on...,why are you so intent to think that everything is fine and dandy with the health insurance and healthcare industry that you're willing to put forth a homeless person not recieving bills for their healthcare as an example. So now I suppose I could just become homeless and live on the streets so that I can get medical attention and have that bill forgiven...
The word "homeless" does not mean they do not have an address where they recieve mail TM - you are seriously misinformed

We work closely with the "at risk" population - they are not necessarily homeless as you describe.

You read about the issue TM - my wife and are IN THE ISSUE - up close and personal.

BTW - you are aware (I'm sure) about the $1.00 a month rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top