U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
 
2,180 posts, read 3,187,061 times
Reputation: 838

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The word "homeless" does not mean they do not have an address where they recieve mail TM - you are seriously misinformed

We work closely with the "at risk" population - they are not necessarily homeless as you describe.

You read about the issue TM - my wife and are IN THE ISSUE - up close and personal.

BTW - you are aware (I'm sure) about the $1.00 a month rule
I think you miss the point.

I am not arguing that nobody who is poor ever gets health care. I am arguing that a lack of money is a major factor in diminished quality of overall health care.

I'm not arguing that everybody who is poor gets billed beyond their ability to pay when they do receive services. I am arguing that many do get billed for their health care constantly and pursued by creditors - too many do.

I am not arguing that there are no programs anywhere in the country that address the health needs of the impoverished or the borderline poor. I am arguing that there are too few programs in the United States that address the health needs of the impoverished and borderline poor, that the good programs are generally too small or too localized to handle the numbers with need, and that even in the areas which such programs serve the programs do not have the penetration into the community to adequately address the problems.

I am not arguing that being a member of a minority population means you will receive sub-standard health care. I am arguing that the likelihood of receiving a lower quality of health care is far greater for a member of a minority population at every level of income, and that at the lower levels of income the impact is very severe.

I'm glad you do what you do. I appreciate it, deeply. But I doubt that you believe you have enough resources to do the job that needs doing. And I know that the job you are doing is going undone in vast areas of this country.

I know in my household that the debate is "Do we pay for health insurance and turn down the heat, or do we keep the heat up and forego health insurance, paying for the meds out of pocket and 'planning' to not have something bad happen until... until our income gets back to where it was with both of us working."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
And, many of the social service agencies provide mailing addresses to those who are classified as "homeless"
So you are actually saying that people who have a mailing address does not mean that they have a home?
Whenever I talk of homeless people I'm talking about people who have no home and what bureaucrats call it is not my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
K.. they have a mailing address.. but they still don't have a home! They have NOTHING TO TAKE.. nothing to put a lien on .. nothing of real substance to take stake in !

We're talking about people who have a home and a car to get to work who end up with hospital bills they can not pay but get put into collections and eventually have to declare bankruptcy so they don't end up homeless!
TM - I'm going to discontinue having a discourse with you - you do not have knowledge on the subject - you are speaking from emotion -

The fact remains - "homeless" under federal definition does not require one to not have a roof over their head to be defined as such - again - something you lack knowledge on

And, you don't know nor understand the concept of "at risk" - and it is not only about being homeless - again, an area you lack knowledge on.

As for you not volunteering: You make excuses that's all. As a SINGLE dad of two boys - I found the time and the means to give back. After I re-married, my wife and I BOTH volunteered - and we were raising children and earning a living - we did not make excuses like you do -

There will not be a Universal Health Insurance program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
 
2,180 posts, read 3,187,061 times
Reputation: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fact remains - "homeless" under federal definition does not require one to not have a roof over their head to be defined as such
Setting aside the issue of personal attacks, can we look at the facts.

Rather than repeating what the federal definition of homeless is not, let's look at what it i.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/42C119.txt
§ 11302. General definition of homeless individual


(a) In general For purposes of this chapter, the term “homeless” or “homeless individual or homeless person” [1] includes—
(1) an individual who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; and
(2) an individual who has a primary nighttime residence that is— (A) a supervised publicly or privately operated shelter designed to provide temporary living accommodations (including welfare hotels, congregate shelters, and transitional housing for the mentally ill);
(B) an institution that provides a temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized; or
(C) a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
**********

Greatday, you said "homeless does not necessarily mean on the streets," but Tristansmommy never said that. She said "homeless means a person with no home."

Staying in shelters, shuffling between various friends' and/or relatives' houses, or in institutionalized housing is not "having a home." The distinction you are making is real, but the argument you claim to have been having was not real.

A roof over one's head is not the same as having a home, any more than homeless means not having a roof over one's head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
There will not be a Universal Health Insurance program.
Is this a fact or just your opinion?
Or just wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Is this a fact or just your opinion?
Fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Fact
LoL, than you either must have a God-delusion or you can see into the future.
Anywayz, in the 10th century it was an indisputable fact that the world was flat, which is not the case anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
LoL, than you either must have a God-delusion or you can see into the future.
It's the later.

I work with the Congress of the United States.

UHI is DOA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
I work with the Congress of the United States.
LoL, so now you're actually saying that the Congress of the United States is God, because like God they're never wrong (read: never have made a mistake)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
LoL, so now you're actually saying that the Congress of the United States is God,
No they are not God -

But, they are the ones that introduce and potentially pass laws.

UHI legislation is not going to happen - there is no stomach for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top