U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
But, they are the ones that introduce and potentially pass laws.
Here I thought that they had to represent the people.
So if the majority of the American people demand UHI they have to introduce it and pass it.

Quote:
UHI legislation is not going to happen - there is no stomach for it
So the American people never change their minds (which perfectly explains the continuation of the war in Iraq when there where no WMD there).
Or are you Great Day claiming to be ‘the stomach of the American People’?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Here I thought that they had to represent the people.
So if the majority of the American people demand UHI they have to introduce it and pass it.
A majority of Americans will not demand UHI.

There is no reason for it either -

A small minority of Americans are without health insurance. That is a fact.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Since an individual is not plural you can ( and should) only speak for yourself and no one else.
Let the others speak for themselves.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Since an individual is not plural you can ( and should) only speak for yourself and no one else.
Let the others speak for themselves.
They already have -

They already have

Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,112,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

There will not be a Universal Health Insurance program.
Yeah.. what's your point.. I never said on this thread that there was. THAT wasn't the argument we were debating

Besides..you can't know they'll never be as much as I can know there will be Anything can happen, things can change.. heck.. who would have ever said a few years ago that the government would take part ownerships of banks!!! Circumstances can change how Congress thinks.. and it's people. If the healthcare crisis in the U.S doesn't change there could very well be one in the future.

Remember.. Congress changes over too.. as does the office of the President. So.. unless you have a magic crystal ball there is no way you can say with any certainty that there will be no UHI just as much as I can't say with any certainty there will be!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
That the top peole pay 90% of the taxes is one reason we are in econmic problems. In fact nw days 30% pay no income tax and alot of those actaully get unearned income credit. Then look at the welfare and other programs in which peole actually take more. In the end it means that people actaully take individually and that money is not avialbl;e for general preograms like buidlign infrastructure and common defense.That was the bases of communist thinking that everyone would contribute but of course it never worled as they put out as little effort as possible and innovation was sumthered. Tyhen just look at the people who actually cheat on their income tax and don't pay their share'it is huge.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 AM

42,215 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Hmmmm...how about how the top 5% make 30% of the nation's income but pay 60% of the taxes?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,112,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

There is no reason for it either -

A small minority of Americans are without health insurance. That is a fact.

And a small percentage of the population is in default of their mortgages and in foreclosure, yet we still have a financial crisis .. so I guess it's not so small after all

Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdaySo you are actually saying that people who have a mailing address does not mean that they have a home?
Whenever I talk of homeless people I'm talking about people who have no home and what bureaucrats call it is not my concern.

Um, Tricky, I've been homeless, but I had a job, a post office box (for mail) and a cell phone (contact number at work). The cell phone itself cost less than $20, and it cost $20 every few months to add time. TRACFONE.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,741,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hmmmm...how about how the top 5% make 30% of the nation's income but pay 60% of the taxes?
Poor babies. That's so cruel. I guess they'll have to console themselves with the fact that after paying all their federal taxes, the average top 5% household has seven times as much left to play with as the average household. Here's one: X. Here's seven: XXXXXXX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or