Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Not millions, according to the GAO, there are "thousands" who have opted out on religious grounds.

I am not willing to lie and state I object to SS on religious grounds while I continue to make money from other similar sources. Seems a bit unethical and hypocritical to me. I may not like it, but I'll keep my integrity over more money.
It's millions

And, for the record - I do object to social security on religious grounds -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 04:55 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It's millions

And, for the record - I do object to social security on religious grounds -

May i ask what religion that is?

Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
May i ask what religion that is?
Sure - you can ask.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Sure - you can ask.

I would like to know what religion opposes Social Security.... seriously.. I am being serious (no i will not switch religions.. I don't neccesarily believe in organized religion.) My spiritual beliefs lead me to think that SS is the right thing to do...

But again.. I'm curious as to what religion objects to SS. If you don't want to post it here then you can DM me. I'd really like to know why a religion is opposed to it to.

Otherwise I'll be left to wonder , without proof, if this is just something someone cooked up to get out of it. And I don't mean that as an insult to you.. as Im speaking about in the general sense.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I would like to know what religion opposes Social Security.... seriously..
Go back and read what I wrote TM -

I said that I am opposed based on reliGOUS beliefs. Not because of a specific reliGION

One can have religious beliefs, believe in God - without BELONGING to a specific religion

Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Go back and read what I wrote TM -

I said that I am opposed based on reliGOUS beliefs. Not because of a specific reliGION

One can have religious beliefs, believe in God - without BELONGING to a specific religion

K then.. so what beliefs do you oppose SS.

Because I am spiritual which could be the same as religios , without believing in religion..

and my beliefs lead me to believe that the lack of some sort of SS is wrong...

So..I am genuinly curious on what religious beliefs....which are some beliefs not neccesarily cemented in a specific religion..but having to do with dogmatic beliefs in god, etc.. do you find that SS is wrong.. or that leads you to oppose it.

Last edited by TristansMommy; 09-19-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
not any more fair than indian tribes in california paying triple taxes. but governments are hungry. their tax base is gone. that is why you see cops writing so many tickets but not chasing bad guys, revenue.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
K then.. so what beliefs do you oppose SS.

Because I am spiritual which could be the same as religion , without believing in religion..

and my beliefs lead me to believe that the lack of some sort of SS is wrong...

So..I am genuinly curious on what religious beliefs....which are some beliefs not neccesarily cemented in a specific religion..but having to do with dogmatic beliefs in god, etc.. do you find that SS is wrong.. or that leads you to oppose it.
You are going seriously off topic - and it is not permitted on this forum

Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 PM

Unfortunately, withdrawing from Social Security is an option available to only a very few—the American clergy; and even they cannot withdraw for any reason except exemption based on religious conviction.

I'm curious if one of those "minister" certificates you can get online can officially qualify you as clergy.

must certify that he or she opposes, either conscientiously or because of religious principles, the acceptance of any public insurance and/or assistance (with respect to services performed as a minister), including all forms of Social Security and/or Medicare coverage, FEMA disaster assistance, government sponsored Pell Grants for education, welfare assistance, food stamps, and so on.

I am really curious as to what religious principles are cited for opting out. I couldn't neccesarily find what has been used when I googled it.

these excerps were taken from Article: Opting out of Social Security

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You are going seriously off topic - and it is not permitted on this forum
It's not off topic.. and it's not a personal attack .We are talking about taxation and the tax system. Opting out of SS was brought up in this forum and you've brought to the forefront that you can opt out.. I'm simply challenging that position and asking for clarification is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates