U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM

755 posts, read 1,471,657 times

Advertisements

No way on the good Lord's earth would I leave my two little pomeranians behind in an evacuation. I mean how in the hell would I be able to look at their cute little faces and think of all we went through in 4-5 years and just abandon them? Actually, we faced this situation in 2003 when Hurricane Isabel came through the area, we called a shelter to see if they would allow Ceaser (we had one at that time) he was 6 pounds and we told them we could keep him in a carrier and they refused...so guess what? We stayed right there in our apartment and boarded up the windows and rode it out with our little guy. If God forbid we faced that situation again, we would plan a little better and just leave the area. Animals are like little angels, I don't see how any one could do it although I suppose in the most dire situations and if one had to make a choice then maybe the perspective is different but I just don't know how I would ever recover from that.

Last edited by AnalyzeThis; 09-18-2008 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: lol i said love and not leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,957,151 times
This is just me, but there is absolutely no way Id leave Jasper behind. He'd come with me if I had to camp outside the building until the authorities yielded. He's almost 6 years old and has known no one else to care for him.

Besides..family shouldnt be left behind simply because they have 4 legs.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
This is just me, but there is absolutely no way Id leave Jasper behind. He'd come with me if I had to camp outside the building until the authorities yielded. He's almost 6 years old and has known no one else to care for him.

Besides..family shouldnt be left behind simply because they have 4 legs.
I totally agree. When I accepted the responsibility of providing a "forever home" to my two cats, it was unconditional. As long as I am alive I am obligated (out of love and doing what is right) to care for them to the best of my ability. I would never forsake them any more than I would forsake my husband or any other member of my family. And I would feel the same way if they were dogs, or hamsters, for that matter.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM

755 posts, read 1,471,657 times
It's funny how pets can change your life. Before I got Ceaser I never understood people who bought clothes for their dogs, or paid to keep them in pet hotels, or doggy day camp etc. but now I am SO one of those people. And most people without pets think its crazy that a human would risk their own life for an animal but when that animal is actually yours and you have had them for years, they take on a different meaning in your life. My boys are family to me and I treat them accordingly.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 AM

859 posts, read 1,858,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think it's fair to say that the pet owner is responsible for getting his own pet into a carrier and onto the bus. Your friend would have to find a really big carrier for her, lift the cow, carry her onto the bus and then (most likely) sit with her on his lap. Because I can see that would be another rule if there are crowds of people--a pet carrier has to ride on the pet owner's lap, or at least partially on the lap.

Ferrets, rats, snakes are all fine by me if they are in a carrier. I once sat next to people who brought lab rats onto a plane--they were very well behaved. Horses don't fit into carriers; but you could probably ride them to a safety zone, if for some reason you did not want to put them in a horse trailer and drive them yourself (I think most horse owners have trailers and would choose that option).
SO if someone has 2 dogs and/or 3-4 Cats...... as most seem to have here ( you know what I mean, and you cant put them in one Crate at this point I asume) and by youíre reasoning they can only take what they can put on their LAP, in a Crate?! Correct
So how do you people with Multiples Pets feel about this? That you can take only what you can put in a crate on youíre Lap?

And let me also say here, I am so happy that so many here have plans and so on in case anything like this should happen to them. And not just leave their Pets behind.
I have a Plan,,,,,, for my Dogs, I would not leave them behind !
But I still donít think they belong on public transportation on a situation like this

Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM

179 posts, read 497,260 times
As said before, no if and's or but's I'd do whatever it took on the planet to take my dogs.
If that meant to walk a 1,000 miles backpacking them outta that zone I'd do it. If it would mean I''d have to pay someone the last dime I got to drive them out cause I'm restricted to public transportation I'd do that too.

Seriously I believe if you WANT to figure out a way for them also to survive you WILL find a way!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,897,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
So, in your view, ALL pets should be restricted to carriers, including dogs and cats, or not allowed on evacuation vehicles, since one cannot say dogs are ok outside of a carrier, but ferrets, rats and snakes are not. That would be discrimination.
Yes I think all pets should be restricted to carriers on public transport. Also, anti-discrimination laws don't apply to animals (except for instances where businessess must allow service animals such as guide dogs into areas in which all other animals are prohibited... but that rule is part of anti-discrimination laws applying to handicapped humans).

Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,250,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
SO if someone has 2 dogs and/or 3-4 Cats...... as most seem to have here ( you know what I mean, and you cant put them in one Crate at this point I asume) and by you’re reasoning they can only take what they can put on their LAP, in a Crate?! Correct
So how do you people with Multiples Pets feel about this? That you can take only what you can put in a crate on you’re Lap?
Good point. I wish I knew the answer to this sad, sad question. My guess is it would be up to the pet owner to either find another way to transport the animals or choose which ones to carry with them. Maybe they could ask friends to temporarily claim some of the pets. I don't know why there would be a one animal per carrier rule--it seems reasonable to me to put 4-5 kittens in a single carrier, for example.

It's conceivable that if there was extra room, a bus driver might "look the other way" and allow some additional pets. But I wouldn't count on that.

If you have a lot of pets, and especially if you have a lot of big pets, you might have difficulties being at a shelter with them. You're also less likely to find shelter at a motel. I guess your best option is to seek shelter with family or friends.

This is something pet owners with a lot of pets should be thinking about now, before an emergency.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,250,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
But I still don’t think they belong on public transportation on a situation like this
I agree. The more I hear about evacuation buses, the less I think anyone belongs on them. They sound like a very inconvenient and unpleasant way to leave an emergency--and it's even more horrible when you need to take them to get home.

I wouldn't want to be on a bus even if I had easy circumstances... and it would be even more difficult if I had pets, little children, babies, someone who was ill, or someone who was disabled. It doesn't mean you leave them behind, but seriously--if you have to be part of an evacuation and you have pets, babies, etc. you're better off leaving in your own car and leaving early before the roads choke up.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM

973 posts, read 2,906,029 times
When I adopted my pets, I knew I was accepting responsibility for their safety and overall well-being. I would never leave my pets behind to fend for themselves during a natural disaster or any other emergency. I would move heaven and earth to see them safely somewhere else. Our pets love us when it seems the rest of the world is too caught up in their own problems to give us the time of day. We owe it too them to give them our best. If someone can't meet certain obligations to their pets welfare, they need to re-think having one.

With that said, there will always be those who love their pets but are unable to transport them out of harms way in a situation like a natural disaster. Folks who live in large cities may not have cars because they use the train or bus to get around. The elderly may be able to provide for a pet overall, but they can't drive because of poor eyesight. Officials need to recognize that for many, a pet may be the only family or companionship someone has. If a shelter won't accept a pet during a natural disaster, what recourse do these folks have? Huddle in the streets with their pet and hope for the best?

Generally, with something like a hurricane, there's plenty of notice it is coming. Why doesn't somebody come up with a way to go into an area that is threatened and provide safe transportation for companion animals??? Tag them, get contact information and transport them away. Does anyone know if the ASPCA, Humane Society of the US, PETA, EARS or some other organization has something already in place???
If they don't, they need one. It's always better to be PRO-ACTIVE and get people and their pets out of harms way than to be RE-ACTIVE and clean up the dead bodies or treat the injured after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or