U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
8,668 posts, read 19,929,857 times
Reputation: 21277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
First and foremost I think it's immoral. Plus, more often than not along with prostitution comes crime, drugs, etc. It also further spreads STD's, and by having it legal that would just encourage young women to sell their bodies because it's a quicker way to make a living. You would also see an increase in babies being born from this route, which means more children being raised by one parent, or perhaps increased abortions. Sex is a wonderful gift from God that I don't believe is for sale.
Not surprisingly, I do agree with j760! All of our laws are based on some type of moral judgment about right and wrong. When I was young (many, many moons ago) I thought that most so-called "victimless" crimes should be legalized. I no longer think this. Many such crimes do weaken the moral fabric of our society in the long-term, even when we may see no short-term consequences. You don't necessarily have to believe in God to believe that sex is not something that should be bought and paid for. Yes, that is a moral judgment, but again, our entire legal system is ultimately based on our collective moral judgments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
 
2,765 posts, read 6,378,000 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Not surprisingly, I do agree with j760! All of our laws are based on some type of moral judgment about right and wrong. When I was young (many, many moons ago) I thought that most so-called "victimless" crimes should be legalized. I no longer think this. Many such crimes do weaken the moral fabric of our society in the long-term, even when we may see no short-term consequences. You don't necessarily have to believe in God to believe that sex is not something that should be bought and paid for. Yes, that is a moral judgment, but again, our entire legal system is ultimately based on our collective moral judgments.
Thank you kaykay, and ultimately in the end it's innocent children who will suffer. If prostitution were legal, I don't care if people were practicing safe sex or not, there is no such thing as 100% safe sex, and children would be born to men & women that quite frankly aren't mature enough to be parents. This happens already sadly, but you legalize prostitution and you increase this unfortunate scenario.

Just say no to prostitution, it's a lose/lose situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Status: "Done with the 90s (hopefully)?" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
5,421 posts, read 8,308,907 times
Reputation: 5780
Nevada is a good example of why prostitution should be legalized. There is a huge difference between street hookers and the safer type of brothel prostitution. "Walking the street" and soliciting for sex out in the open is illegal in Nevada ... but resorts or "ranches" where men come in voluntarily for these types of services is completely legal. I believe condoms are mandatory. Even so, the ladies who work in those brothels are tested for STDs and AIDS. If a lady should happen to acquire one of those diseases, she doesn't work there anymore. The people of Nevada don't seem to be opposed to this type of prostituion. If they were, they could make it illegal by voting it out.

Why do the ones who oppose legalization of these things think they have a right to dictate to everyone else what is moral & what's not? Furthermore, why do they feel it's their need to force their so called "moralist" views into legislation that affects other people's lives??? Live and let live! If you're against prostitution, fine. Don't engage in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,028 posts, read 98,908,697 times
Reputation: 31481
I agree and disagree with various things that have been said about this issue. (How's that for wasting bandwidth, LOL!) I do think if it's between consenting adults of their own free will, it's fine. That's not how most prostitution is, however. I would bet even in Nevada!

I remember when this "victimless crime" business first started being bandied about. It sounds good: two consenting adults engage in a business transaction. However, over the years, I have learned that often the victim is actually the prostitute. S/he (most are she) can be a victim of her "John", victim of her customer, and victim of drug use to keep the cycle going.

Now I am more conflicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: The 719
13,707 posts, read 21,521,660 times
Reputation: 13319
What is the current reality of prostitution in America and elsewhere that it might be legal?

My current guess base on opinions formed from watching documentaries about it is that it's a heavily corrupt situation where you see a young girl whose addicted to some drug like cocaine, meth, or heroin and needs a fix and this is one way for her to make money.

In that situation, it's neither a benefit financially for the girl nor is it pleasurable. She just wants to get it over with and get the money so she can get high and not be sick. Then she turns around and uses her drugs so she can tolerate more sex to get more money. Meanwhile, you've got predators who feed off this dilemna and they get their "cut". The sicko who needs to pay for sex is breaking the law as well, but let's not bring religion or God into the picture because we just don't want to hear it! We know our legal rights?

So what are the stats on all this in Amsterdam? How many of them enjoy the "sex" part of it? How well are they paid? How many of them are hooked on drugs? What do the local churches there think of all this? Er, nevermind the last question. I was just curious, but most in here probably won't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,535 posts, read 29,272,174 times
Reputation: 21282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
I do not believe that prostitution is bad at all. It was perfectly legal and pseudo-accepted for a couple of hundred years in this country until someone decided to make it illegal. It provides a valuable and necessary service and it a very civilized way of doing things.

The only downside previously, was the threat of disease. However, with the exception of HIV and AIDS (which IMHO is not a threat to prostitutes or customers), pennicillin has all but eradicated the problem.

I am all for legalizing it.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,796 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not believe that prostitution is bad at all. It was perfectly legal and pseudo-accepted for a couple of hundred years in this country until someone decided to make it illegal. It provides a valuable and necessary service and it a very civilized way of doing things.

The only downside previously, was the threat of disease. However, with the exception of HIV and AIDS (which IMHO is not a threat to prostitutes or customers), pennicillin has all but eradicated the problem.

I am all for legalizing it.

20yrsinBranson
i have seen some stupid comments in this debate but holy cow penicillin cures all std'd except aids????? what about hep c???? genital warts???? herpes??? i see those women in truck stops sometimes they'll go to ten or twelve trucks back to back ...sanitary ?? safe??? most of them have no teeth because the meth has ate them to the gumline ....20 year old girls who look 3 times their age... they squat down and wash their privates in a mudhole...seen that too.....they steal ...sell drugs....sell their body all for the next hit....so hey go ahead legalize it i am sure this is what you want your kids to see ..... you don't want moral pushed on you but get real and think about it all of you.. it's easy to sit back in your comfortable existence and say ohh it's ok it's her body..until a brothel opens in your neighborhood ..and your wife or daughter applies for a job then will you be so smug???? no you will be crying and moaning and looking for sympathy... the perfect look for a hypocrit...easy to hide behind a screen name a scream legalize it but you will be the first to protest and picket when it comes to your little world....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,980 posts, read 21,957,844 times
Reputation: 6553
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i have seen some stupid comments in this debate but holy cow penicillin cures all std'd except aids????? what about hep c???? genital warts???? herpes??? i see those women in truck stops sometimes they'll go to ten or twelve trucks back to back ...sanitary ?? safe??? most of them have no teeth because the meth has ate them to the gumline ....20 year old girls who look 3 times their age... they squat down and wash their privates in a mudhole...seen that too.....they steal ...sell drugs....sell their body all for the next hit....so hey go ahead legalize it i am sure this is what you want your kids to see ..... you don't want moral pushed on you but get real and think about it all of you.. it's easy to sit back in your comfortable existence and say ohh it's ok it's her body..until a brothel opens in your neighborhood ..and your wife or daughter applies for a job then will you be so smug???? no you will be crying and moaning and looking for sympathy... the perfect look for a hypocrit...easy to hide behind a screen name a scream legalize it but you will be the first to protest and picket when it comes to your little world....
Having run a car wash in a very bad side of town back during the days when I was working my way through school, I've seen plenty of the seedy side of life (constantly chasing hookers and junkies out of the bathrooms - among the other "joys" of that job) and I have to say that indeed the things you mention are pretty common. The problem with your argument is that those things are more likely to occur where prostitution is illegal than where it is legal and regulated. Making prostitution illegal in no way shape or form makes it go away - all it does is force it underground. Prostitutes in legal brothels (where they are allowed) have access to medical care, are not likely to be forced into it, nor are they likely to be abused or allowed to use drugs.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 PM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,911,988 times
Reputation: 7248
Is a rich man's mistress a prostitute? Of course she is. Just as much as the toothless hag at the truck stop. She supports herself with her body.

She just receives a lot more compensation for the act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
 
3,320 posts, read 4,707,281 times
Reputation: 11125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Prostitution has long been known by many as the "victimless" crime. While it's true that neither the prostitute or the "John" is considered a victim, the sale of sex is still illegal. Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
I think it's here to stay...isn't it considered the oldest profession? They can keep it legal in Amsterdam and Nevada as far as I'm concerned. I don't want it to become legal and mainstream elsewhere.

What really concerns me is the child prostitution and sex slave trafficing trade. When you see what goes on in places like Thailand, a pedophiles paradise, it's a very sad commentary.

As far as morality goes...I doubt anyone would be pleased to learn their significant other had been out on the prowl and then came back home to them to roost.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 09-18-2008 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top