U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 33,587,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Then when your other kids, or your grandchildren with the good kids, see that there are zero consequences for disgusting and horribly wrong choices, that acceptance is unconditional and not attached to behavior, what then?
There is a difference between loving someone and not liking what they do. I can totally dislike what my child does (or has done) yet continue to love them. I can continue help them change the "things" I do not like. But, I won't stop loving my child.

If one of my kids became addicted to drugs, I would do whatever it took to help them get off the drugs. And, being that I have been there, I know how hard it is to quit.

But, back on topic - in parts of Nevada, being a hooker is quite legal - and quite financially lucrative. As is being in the Exotic Dancer arena. Again, both legal professions. And, once again, while these professions may not be what I would have hoped my daughter would have pursued in life, it is, after all, their life and not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 PM

1,008 posts, read 608,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is a difference between loving someone and not liking what they do. I can totally dislike what my child does (or has done) yet continue to love them. I can continue help them change the "things" I do not like. But, I won't stop loving my child.

If one of my kids became addicted to drugs, I would do whatever it took to help them get off the drugs. And, being that I have been there, I know how hard it is to quit.

But, back on topic - in parts of Nevada, being a hooker is quite legal - and quite financially lucrative. As is being in the Exotic Dancer arena. Again, both legal professions. And, once again, while these professions may not be what I would have hoped my daughter would have pursued in life, it is, after all, their life and not mine.

If child sacrifice to Molech was made legal tomorrow I wouldn't condone anybody engaging in it. The state of Nevada can declare anything they want to be legal, that doesn't make it right. They can declare anything they want to be illegal, that doesn't make it wrong.

I don't need a state government to tell me what is right and what is wrong. If Nevada declared that the Bible was illegal, I would simply declare Nevada's declaration to be null and void, and of no effect except to those citizens foolish enough to place themselves under such restrictions.

Sovereign citizens have rights, enslaved citizens of the state have only those privileges that their government masters deem fit to give to them.

There's a difference between a child doing something that the parent finds disagreeable, and the child making their primary being/status an insult against God. If I had a daughter and she got stoned on marijuana, that would be something I found disagreeble. If I had a daughter and she became a prostitute, that would be something that constitutes her having made the primary focus of her life being an insult against God. There's absolutely a difference, the former deserves stern condemnation and stated disapproval, the latter is a capital offense.

I would hang my head in shame and ask to be shot dead, before I demanded/expected/etc my father to accept my throwing some vile misdeed into his face, without it changing how he treats me. I would sooner die than say to him, "I expect you to condone X, Y, and Z, which I've always known you would never condone, because I'm your son." I would hope he would have the fortitude to kill me if the situation warranted it. Many years ago, watching a law/crime show, I said to my dad that I hoped if I turned out to be some Ted Bundy freak, and he found out about it, he would shoot me himself, and he said he would most certainly kill me if I turned out to be some sort of serial killer freak, and I believe that was a very solid answer. I'm not a serial killer freak, he knows that, I know it, but we're on the same page as far as how parents should handle children who behave in such a fashion.

Last edited by OhioUberAlles; 02-05-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,977,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
She's the mother of our daughter. I'm the father, and I wholeheartedly agree with her. I don't see what's so wrong with my daughter becoming a prostitute, if it's run like the brothels of Nevada. (Monthly STD checks, etc.) ANd if she wants to become a stripper, then again, more power to her. It's her life, I have no say in what she does with it once she becomes 18..
Than neither of you are much of a parent..............to blithely wish your progeny into a lurid life is beyond reasoning..................

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,619,453 times
Quote:
If child sacrifice to Molech was made legal tomorrow I wouldn't condone anybody engaging in it. The state of Nevada can declare anything they want to be legal, that doesn't make it right. They can declare anything they want to be illegal, that doesn't make it wrong.

I don't need a state government to tell me what is right and what is wrong. If Nevada declared that the Bible was illegal, I would simply declare Nevada's declaration to be null and void, and of no effect except to those citizens foolish enough to place themselves under such restrictions.

Sovereign citizens have rights, enslaved citizens of the state have only those privileges that their government masters deem fit to give to them.

There's a difference between a child doing something that the parent finds disagreeable, and the child making their primary being/status an insult against God. If I had a daughter and she got stoned on marijuana, that would be something I found disagreeble. If I had a daughter and she became a prostitute, that would be something that constitutes her having made the primary focus of her life being an insult against God. There's absolutely a difference, the former deserves stern condemnation and stated disapproval, the latter is a capital offense.

I would hang my head in shame and ask to be shot dead, before I demanded/expected/etc my father to accept my throwing some vile misdeed into his face, without it changing how he treats me. I would sooner die than say to him, "I expect you to condone X, Y, and Z, which I've always known you would never condone, because I'm your son." I would hope he would have the fortitude to kill me if the situation warranted it. Many years ago, watching a law/crime show, I said to my dad that I hoped if I turned out to be some Ted Bundy freak, and he found out about it, he would shoot me himself, and he said he would most certainly kill me if I turned out to be some sort of serial killer freak, and I believe that was a very solid answer. I'm not a serial killer freak, he knows that, I know it, but we're on the same page as far as how parents should handle children who behave in such a fashion.

Who is Molech, and why would anyone want to "sacrifice" children? ... and even if there is some goofy biblical passage that is being referred to, how is that exemplary of our society?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Who is Molech, and why would anyone want to "sacrifice" children? ... and even if there is some goofy biblical passage that is being referred to, how is that exemplary of our society?

If you don't know who Molech is then you've obviously never read the bible. Molech was a false god (primarily of the Canaanites) to whom children (typically infants) were sacrificed. They were typically "passed through the fire" to Molech.

I believe the modern equivalent of sacrifice to Molech could be said to be abortion. Society (supposedly) wouldn't stand for throwing babies onto bonfires, but they believe that killing of an unborn child in the womb is a sacrament worthy of public funds and judicial protection.

America is falling apart exactly as foretold in Deuteronomy 28, that's the plain and simple truth. Don't debate it if you haven't read it.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 AM

7,450 posts, read 5,438,169 times
Quote:
If you don't know who Molech is then you've obviously never read the bible. Molech was a false god (primarily of the Canaanites) to whom children (typically infants) were sacrificed. They were typically "passed through the fire" to Molech.

I believe the modern equivalent of sacrifice to Molech could be said to be abortion. Society (supposedly) wouldn't stand for throwing babies onto bonfires, but they believe that killing of an unborn child in the womb is a sacrament worthy of public funds and judicial protection.

America is falling apart exactly as foretold in Deuteronomy 28, that's the plain and simple truth. Don't debate it if you haven't read it.

I haven't read it, and I don't care to. My religion doesn't care about abortion, nor does it care about prostitution. I still don't see what's so wrong about prostitution.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 AM

7,450 posts, read 5,438,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Than neither of you are much of a parent..............to blithely wish your progeny into a lurid life is beyond reasoning..................
I don't wish it upon her, and she will know that I'd rather her not get into that career, but she will know that I will love her no matter what.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I haven't read it, and I don't care to. My religion doesn't care about abortion, nor does it care about prostitution. I still don't see what's so wrong about prostitution.

Aside from the fact that most prostitutes are kept in that lifestyle by ongoing violence or threats of violence from their pimps?

It's sort of like a cult, you may be able to join voluntarily, but you cannot just pack up and leave if you decide you want to do so later on.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 33,587,175 times
Quote:
It's sort of like a cult, you may be able to join voluntarily, but you cannot just pack up and leave if you decide you want to do so later on.
The young ladies that work in Nevada's Brothels pick and leave whenever they wish to. Some choose to stay and earn money for their education (such as the woman auctioning her virginity - bid now exceeds $4 million). Some choose to earn money and invest (and many are very successful). Some choose to stay because - well frankly, they like being Hookers

As for Strippers - I employed several (3) who were also strippers - and putting themselves through college. One got her degree in engineering and now works for a large engineering firm. One got her nursing degree and works as same. The third passed the State Bar last year, and is working for a prestigious law firm.

None of them have any debt for school. All of them have good investments to provide for their futures.

Perhaps you need to learn a little bit more about the young woman who are in these professions. Sure, some of them have rocky lives - no question. But, there are those who are fine young woman.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The young ladies that work in Nevada's Brothels pick and leave whenever they wish to. Some choose to stay and earn money for their education (such as the woman auctioning her virginity - bid now exceeds $4 million). Some choose to earn money and invest (and many are very successful). Some choose to stay because - well frankly, they like being Hookers

As for Strippers - I employed several (3) who were also strippers - and putting themselves through college. One got her degree in engineering and now works for a large engineering firm. One got her nursing degree and works as same. The third passed the State Bar last year, and is working for a prestigious law firm.

None of them have any debt for school. All of them have good investments to provide for their futures.

Perhaps you need to learn a little bit more about the young woman who are in these professions. Sure, some of them have rocky lives - no question. But, there are those who are fine young woman.

I'd say you're being far too generous referring to harlots (especially those who are harlots by choice), as young ladies and then as fine young women. I prefer to call it like I see it, a harlot is a harlot, plain and simple.

Anybody who voluntarily seeks dozens of sexual encounters with dozens of random people each day, as a mental, moral, and/or emotional problem.

Maybe you think they're okay since outwardly they seem okay with what they do, they make a lot of money, they get a nice degree. What they don't tell you is that when they were 8 their uncle molested them, or when they were 15 they got raped in high school by a guy they were dating, or their step-dad spent years raping them when they were in their early teen years, thus resulting in warped views, low self-esteem, and a backwards perspective on what constitutes proper human behavior.

Most of those women were damaged in some manner, early in life, and every time some John hands her a wad of cash and has sex with her, it's a bit more progress in way of making the damage irreparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or