U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-06-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
7,691 posts, read 8,952,378 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
America is falling apart exactly as foretold in Deuteronomy 28, that's the plain and simple truth. Don't debate it if you haven't read it.
Nobody's debating it. Faerie Tales cannot be used as a valid argument. At least, in true debates, factual evidence such as how Brothels are run in Nevada is preferred. Your piece of paper bound into book format says one thing, mine says another. Nobody's faerie tale is more valid towards a legitimate discussion. Oh wait... I think I shall debate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Maybe you think they're okay since outwardly they seem okay with what they do, they make a lot of money, they get a nice degree. What they don't tell you is that when they were 8 their uncle molested them, or when they were 15 they got raped in high school by a guy they were dating, or their step-dad spent years raping them when they were in their early teen years, thus resulting in warped views, low self-esteem, and a backwards perspective on what constitutes proper human behavior.

Most of those women were damaged in some manner, early in life, and every time some John hands her a wad of cash and has sex with her, it's a bit more progress in way of making the damage irreparable.
Does not the collection of Faerie Tales state that humans should not judge?

Matthew 7:2 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"

Many other version of the translation can be found here.

Quote:
Than neither of you are much of a parent..............to blithely wish your progeny into a lurid life is beyond reasoning..................
Well, if we want to make this personal and full of assumptions.... No, I don't wish for her to work in brothel. However, I won't call her degrading names, disown her, and overall act like an astute cur if she were to become one.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,928,438 times
Reputation: 4808
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I'd say you're being far too generous referring to harlots (especially those who are harlots by choice), as young ladies and then as fine young women. I prefer to call it like I see it, a harlot is a harlot, plain and simple.
"Too Generous"? No, not at all. As I know a number of these young woman, I am often impressed by their knowledge and dedication for their future.

Also, and again from personal knowledge (knowing a number of these woman), I am aware of some that have been previously abused - a terrible situation to be sure. But, I am also very aware of many WHO WERE NOT abused in any way. One young lady told be she just simply likes sex - and why not get paid for doing something she enjoys! I loved the honesty -

Again, I would not disown my child under any circumstance. I guess that is a difference between us. MY love is unconditional. Yours is not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 164,244 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Matthew 7:2 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you"

Excellent! I expect to be judged by how well I follow the Law, because I judge others by how well they follow the Law. I expect to be judged by how well I follow scripture, I have no problem with the idea of being judged by how well I follow scripture, I'm not afraid of anything in that regard.

Ultimately judgement belongs to the Heavenly Father, only He decides who goes where, but the believing sons and daughters have a right and obligation to uphold the law and do justice in this life.



We can sit here all day and talk about scripture and gospel, I guarantee you don't know it as well as I do-

Isaiah 58:1
Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression, and the house of Jacob their sins.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 164,244 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"Too Generous"? No, not at all. As I know a number of these young woman, I am often impressed by their knowledge and dedication for their future.

Also, and again from personal knowledge (knowing a number of these woman), I am aware of some that have been previously abused - a terrible situation to be sure. But, I am also very aware of many WHO WERE NOT abused in any way. One young lady told be she just simply likes sex - and why not get paid for doing something she enjoys! I loved the honesty -

Again, I would not disown my child under any circumstance. I guess that is a difference between us. MY love is unconditional. Yours is not.


What if somebody enjoys killing? Is it okay if they become a contract killer so they can get paid to do what they like? What if the country they live in doesn't have a law against murder? What if they enjoy enslaving others and selling them into slavery? Some countries don't have laws against slavery, what then?

You're basing your sense of morality on what the law says. "Nevada allows prostitution so it is okay" while I base mine on whether or not the action is genuinely and inherently right in and of itself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,928,438 times
Reputation: 4808
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
What if somebody enjoys killing?
Absurd argument. This thread is about Prostitution. Not murder.

I suggest you either stay on topic, or withdraw

OBTW - taking the life of another human being is allowed in some cases.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
7,691 posts, read 8,952,378 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Excellent! I expect to be judged by how well I follow the Law, because I judge others by how well they follow the Law. I expect to be judged by how well I follow scripture, I have no problem with the idea of being judged by how well I follow scripture, I'm not afraid of anything in that regard.
So on that token, I will have to ask that you abide by the scriptures of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. After all, previous statements have been made that these women should be disowned and treated miserably simply because one person's religion - a religion that not everybody believes.

Pastafarianism for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles
We can sit here all day and talk about scripture and gospel, I guarantee you don't know it as well as I do
And for all you know, I could be a scholar of many religious documents. ((OBTW, I can read over half of the Torah in its original form. ))

Quote:
You're basing your sense of morality on what the law says. "Nevada allows prostitution so it is okay" while I base mine on whether or not the action is genuinely and inherently right in and of itself.
Actually, you're basing your sense of morality on a set of faerie tales that has been re-written multiple times with a multitude of translations. Come up with the ideas on your own merit, insteading hiding behind a mythological, and such ideas might be taken seriously.

And above all, how Pastafarianism > Christianity:
"I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people."

Prostitution is a legitimate business idea with those who are skilled and those willing to pay. It's just like Starbucks with sex instead of coffee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 164,244 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Absurd argument. This thread is about Prostitution. Not murder.

I suggest you either stay on topic, or withdraw

OBTW - taking the life of another human being is allowed in some cases.

Obviously, but by definition, murder is an unjustified killing. Some instances call for killing, no instances call for murder.

It's not an absurd argument, since your ideas seem to be centered around the notion of legality conveying a sense of morality, something I disagree with.

In the country of Niger (in Western Africa), rape is not illegal, does that mean if your son decided to be a rapist, that you would be okay with him and simply against his decisions?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,928,438 times
Reputation: 4808
I live in the United States. Not Niger.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,928,438 times
Reputation: 4808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Prostitution is a legitimate business idea with those who are skilled and those willing to pay. It's just like Starbucks with sex instead of coffee.
Can I get that in the non fat version ....??

(Sorry - I couldn't resist!)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 164,244 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I live in the United States. Not Niger.

That's irrelevant, since you're making the case that because prostitution is legal in one state (Nevada) it is okay to practice (in that state). Thus you are showing a system of beliefs whereby legality equals morality.

If something is okay simply because it is legal, if that is your logic, if that is how you determine what constitutes morality or immorality, then you naturally must be okay with the idea of men in Niger raping women since the law allows it.

I've often said, just because something is legal it isn't necessarily moral. Just because something is illegal, it isn't necessarily immoral.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top