U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,566,178 times
Reputation: 3336

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Because they would love to advertise those things, right? It would do wonders for business...

Just like peanuts, not a bad batch in thirty years, right?

What makes you think I believe anything that a corporation says?

What brings in more customers- "Come our brothels we have a five percent infection rate" or "come to our brothels, everything is safe."

If you want to believe what some corporate suit tells you, feel free to do so, I won't.

It's not just the brothels saying that, it's the health dept for that area saying that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 644,765 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It's not just the brothels saying that, it's the health dept for that area saying that!

Check out the first part of this page-

Nevada Brothels - Terrible Situation shows why we need Decriminalization with women in charge - Not legalization and the pimp houses of Nevada


Nevada prostitutes are just as abused by the state and their "madams" as street prostitutes who have to deal with pimps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach
7,450 posts, read 5,651,779 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Check out the first part of this page-

Nevada Brothels - Terrible Situation shows why we need Decriminalization with women in charge - Not legalization and the pimp houses of Nevada


Nevada prostitutes are just as abused by the state and their "madams" as street prostitutes who have to deal with pimps.
Your article does go on to give examples why prostitution in general is safe when completely legal, further strengthening the pro-legalization stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 644,765 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Your article does go on to give examples why prostitution in general is safe when completely legal, further strengthening the pro-legalization stance.

It's not my article, I didn't write it. I was only pointing out that the article shows that the women are treated like old-time sailors/whalers, kept in perpetual debt, paid crap wages, made to pay all sorts of expenses, and then they wind up owing more than they make. It's enslavement via employment scam.

You know how things used to work on commercial ships of the 1700s and 1800s, yes? The crew wound up having to pay for their space on the ship, pay for food, pay for water, pay for clothing, such that when things were done, they owed more than they were paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 954,393 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
That's irrelevant, since you're making the case that because prostitution is legal in one state (Nevada) it is okay to practice (in that state). Thus you are showing a system of beliefs whereby legality equals morality.

If something is okay simply because it is legal, if that is your logic, if that is how you determine what constitutes morality or immorality, then you naturally must be okay with the idea of men in Niger raping women since the law allows it.

I've often said, just because something is legal it isn't necessarily moral. Just because something is illegal, it isn't necessarily immoral.
Basically all I hear from you is moral this moral that, bible this bible that. Take a step out of your world and realize that the rest of us do not live there. Here in America, the bible and morals mean nothing when it comes to legislation and when it comes to what is legal and what isn't. Government is an entity that has no moral leaning whatsoever. If you want a theocracy move to India. The main difference between murder and prostitution is that one is a choice and one is not. Murder implies that you are killed involuntarily of your will; if it was consensual, then it's called assisted suicide. How prostitution affects you - I don't know unless you are the one going to the hooker or your spouse is. What happens between two consensual adults is none of my, yours, or the government's business and we shouldn't try to stick our noses into other peoples bedroom's. If you've got a moral problem with it - fine. But don't expect the rest of us to follow you morals to the tee just because you or the bible says so. If you didn't know, not everyone believes in it and it means nothing when making and breaking laws; again, if you want to live in a place where the bible is law, I'm sure you can find a few places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Many prostitutes are victims... there is still "human trafficking" in this country, to an alarming extent.

When it comes to people who willingly sell sex and people who willingly buy sex, there is no victim unless you figure that prostitutes are probably the most likely carriers and spreaders of sexually transmitted diseases in the country. If a "John" hooks up with a prostitute out of his own free will but then ends up with syphilis because the prostitute didn't tell the guy ahead of time that she had syphilis (or didn't bother to get regular and frequent checks for STDs), then the "John" ends up being a victim and your argument about it being "victimless" falls flat.

I think prostitution is shady, skeevy, and abhorrent... not to mention immoral, despite how America is barreling down a trail which will eventually lead us to erasing the word "immoral" from the dictionary due to it no longer having any real meaning. (Those of you who don't believe me must've forgotten the message Americans sent about morality and its importance, or lack thereof, on November 4th, 2008.) People who sell sex have absolutely zero dignity and it will haunt them for the rest of their lives... and pretty much the same could be said for people who buy sex. Effectively, someone who has to visit prostitutes is saying that he/she is too much of a loser to be able to get decent sex on his/her own merits.
They are still victims because it's illegal (illegal being the operative word). If it was legal everywhere, there would be no reason to arrest a prostitute if she goes to the police about a customer beating the beejesus out of her. The way our system is set up now is that if the victim actually wants and needs help, she can't go to the police about in fear of being arrested for her own personal crime.

Again, if it was legal, prostitutes would get regular checks. If they have a STD, they are no longer employed; it's as simple as that. It's the illicit element that makes prostitution what it is today. All it does is push it underground and make the industry more shady. There is no good that comes out of making prostitution illegal.

I wonder which time period in the history of America you would consider 'moral.' Is it when the Puritans were burning people at the stake for being 'heretics' and 'witches?' Or maybe it's when we were killing Indians off in the droves, because they 'needed to get off our damn land,' when they were here centuries before we ever arrived. Or maybe we were really 'moral' when we still had dem blacks enslaved and working like they should. Or when we put the Japs in camps to contain them because they could be considered 'dangerous elements.' That argument that we have moral decay holds no water whatsoever; we've always had it. Pick a time (any time) in American history (from when we first arrived of the Mayflower) and there was always some sort of 'moral' decay. Basically what I'm reading is a bunch of biased opinions on what you THINK prostitutes to be like and how every last one of them has a mental/emotional problem. Some people like sex, some like the money, and some like the security. IT'S NOT IN YOUR PLACE TO JUDGE. As they say, don't knock it till you try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,729,641 times
Reputation: 976
Outstanding--I wish I could say it as effectively as you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,729,641 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Basically all I hear from you is moral this moral that, bible this bible that. Take a step out of your world and realize that the rest of us do not live there....That argument that we have moral decay holds no water whatsoever; we've always had it.
Can I quote this repeatedly in other posts? I am not being sycophant. What I am trying to say is that people will always be "people." If we can't just accept that fact, then we are really defective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,342,594 times
Reputation: 1292
I have always maintained that prostitution should be decriminalized and some of these women would benefit from forming what I can only call a co-op instead of working for brothels and greedy owners which in Nevada are usually headed by men. As the article clearly states.....

First you have to register with the Sherrifs office. There is no privacy. You give up anywhere from 65% to 85% of your money to the house, government, IRS and the new prostitute tax the state is now charging.
After your airline tickets, clothing, full price drinks and other misc. Fees you leave with little. To top it off, you are treated like a work horse and fined for just about everything. Fall asleep on you 14 hour shift at Old Bridge now named the new Mustang and get $100 fine, late for a line up, leave early ect $100-500 in fines.
The way the girls get treated by the madams is sad and uncalled for. There are so many guys who only want to pay $150-$200 and the girls are forced to take the party when after the taxi cut of 20-30%, house cut and room fees they get only around $40.

Seems to me like the only person getting royally shafted is the working girl. Working as a Co-op with other women or being independent is the only way a woman should have to do this sort of work. It's legal in the UK although it's not legal to solicit (yes very strange).


Nevada Brothels - Terrible Situation shows why we need Decriminalization with women in charge - Not legalization and the pimp houses of Nevada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,381,252 times
Reputation: 45836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
How bad it prostitution?

Lets get some stats on...

Diseases,
Unwanted (and abused) children,
Drug use,
Depression and other psychological problems,
Broken marriages,
The debasement and devaluing of Women, and sexuality, (human bodies as rented entertainment....)

...a few things, just for starters....
Well, you might as well ban single bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,342,594 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
And how exactly could such a case be traced? Come on... some dude gets an STD, and says he recently had sex with a prostitute at a Nevada brothel... well, if you were the brothel owner, you'd say "well who else have you had sexual relations with in the last year or so?".

Do these chicks constantly get checked for STDs by competent doctors? Are they immediately banned from prostitution if they test positive? Don't tell me that "Air Force Amy" has never had an STD.

If you think that her income is so wonderful, think about the stories she'd have to tell her grandkids (if she'll ever have grandkids) and what she'll have to tell St. Peter at the Pearly Gates someday. ("Well, Pete... I can explain... see, I had a bad childhood...")
Most men who get STD's get it from "regular women" not professional whores. Your local friendly working gal is a darn sight more educated about her sexual health than the office tramp who can be picked up by the water cooler or the sports bar on any given day or evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top