U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 AM
 
239 posts, read 624,566 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

when a woman get thown out of a legal brothel in carson city or reno or anywhere else in nevada guess where she goes???not to work at burger king..she hits the corner or truck stop..and then what you ask??? a lot of "victimless" johns take the diseases home... so i wonder how is it the prostitutes are not disease spreading parasites? how is a spouse with aids or hep c "victimless" ???? how is a child who lost her mother because daddy brought aids home "victimless"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag08 View Post
Why do you think that is? What do you think of prostitution?
In the US, prostitution being illegal is rather recent. I would chalk that up to the not white enough or Christian enough league of the times. It was regulated at the time in certain towns and cities.

I *think* that prostitution should be legalized but I think that people are under the impression that they make endless amounts of cash and that is most often not the case. I think that if it is to be in a controlled situation then it there needs to be a constant watch to ensure that they are not abused by those in control.

I also *think* that prostitution flourishes under many guises. The concept of marrying up or a trophy wife could also be viewed by some as prostitution. When a couple marry and the husband says, "I make lots of money and I don't want you to work." Then what is really being said is, "I will financially support you, but make yourself sexually available at any time." I'm not talking about someone needs to stay home with the kids because someone's entire check will be going to daycare which would defeat the purpose scenarios. There are those who want to be taken care of financially, that would also be prostitution. Its just a nicer way to dress it up.

Now, I *feel* that if this is something that someone is going to do that they need to make a game plan. This is not a life long profession. It comes with a clock. I am sure that there are those that have no problem with it. I strongly believe that there are those that have entirely too much of a problem with it. If someone has to be high before they do it, stay high while doing it and get high afterwards to forget about it, its not for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,949 posts, read 21,942,804 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
when a woman get thown out of a legal brothel in carson city or reno or anywhere else in nevada guess where she goes???not to work at burger king..she hits the corner or truck stop..and then what you ask??? a lot of "victimless" johns take the diseases home... so i wonder how is it the prostitutes are not disease spreading parasites? how is a spouse with aids or hep c "victimless" ???? how is a child who lost her mother because daddy brought aids home "victimless"
And clearly this NEVER happens in locations where prostitution is illegal - right?



Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Status: "Done with the 100s (hopefully)?" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
5,413 posts, read 8,301,588 times
Reputation: 5760
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i have seen some stupid comments in this debate but holy cow penicillin cures all std'd except aids????? what about hep c???? genital warts???? herpes??? i see those women in truck stops sometimes they'll go to ten or twelve trucks back to back ...sanitary ?? safe??? most of them have no teeth because the meth has ate them to the gumline ....20 year old girls who look 3 times their age... they squat down and wash their privates in a mudhole...seen that too.....they steal ...sell drugs....sell their body all for the next hit....so hey go ahead legalize it i am sure this is what you want your kids to see ..... you don't want moral pushed on you but get real and think about it all of you.. it's easy to sit back in your comfortable existence and say ohh it's ok it's her body..until a brothel opens in your neighborhood ..and your wife or daughter applies for a job then will you be so smug???? no you will be crying and moaning and looking for sympathy... the perfect look for a hypocrit...easy to hide behind a screen name a scream legalize it but you will be the first to protest and picket when it comes to your little world....
It sounds like you're the one who is "crying & moaning" about the supposed end result of prostitution. You like to paint a very grim picture of things, meaning you must be a very pessimistic person. The incidents you described are pretty extreme, and the chances of all that happening are rather slim. Even if they do occur, it would be regardless of whether prostitution is legal or not. Matter of fact, those dreadful incidents are more likely to happen in high crime areas where prositution is illegal.

Furthermore, even in the most extreme cases (as you described), I would say that it is the girl's fault for allowing herself to be abused and drug ridden. Blaming the business of prostitution for how some young girls end up is much like blaming the bar owner for a few idiots who get plastered inside the bar, then get in a car & drive drunk. Unfortunately, that's how our society has become: blame the business, make everybody a victim, and then call on Big Brother to save everyone from themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM
 
239 posts, read 624,566 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It sounds like you're the one who is "crying & moaning" about the supposed end result of prostitution. You like to paint a very grim picture of things, meaning you must be a very pessimistic person. The incidents you described are pretty extreme, and the chances of all that happening are rather slim. Even if they do occur, it would be regardless of whether prostitution is legal or not. Matter of fact, those dreadful incidents are more likely to happen in high crime areas where prositution is illegal.

Furthermore, even in the most extreme cases (as you described), I would say that it is the girl's fault for allowing herself to be abused and drug ridden. Blaming the business of prostitution for how some young girls end up is much like blaming the bar owner for a few idiots who get plastered inside the bar, then get in a car & drive drunk. Unfortunately, that's how our society has become: blame the business, make everybody a victim, and then call on Big Brother to save everyone from themselves.
everything i descibed i have seen first hand and i have seen other thing i cannot put on here...and guess what?? the hooker cleaning her parts in a puddle was in reno nevada about an hour from the legal brothel .... i have seen these parasites all over america and if even half the crap was happening in your neighborhoods you would be crying and wringing your hands....it's real easy to sit in your insulated world and think things you see n t.v are cool but crime always follows trash... the redlight district in Amsterdam is one of the most hight crime area's in the city and tourists are warned about even going there....but yes prostitutes are legal... try riding down some of the side streets in vegas . it's overrun with non sanctioned whores...so it seems to me making it legal did nothing to take the crime out of it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Southern Ontario
438 posts, read 461,021 times
Reputation: 755
You cant put all the blame and focus on the 'whores'. They wouldnt be there in the first place if certain people werent so swayed by the urge to have sex with strangers at any cost, they would put themselves and their families at risk.
I wonder how many of those who view prostitution as aneasy way to make money, could stand one night of it. One night of having strangers use your body for the price of admission, no matter how they looked or smelled or felt?
Also, I dont think too many girls "allowed" themselves to get abused or addicted. Sometimes these things start while they are still children, dooming them to the Life. Many in our society drink, but not as many hook, so the comparison is not equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 AM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,492,645 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
everything i descibed i have seen first hand and i have seen other thing i cannot put on here...and guess what?? the hooker cleaning her parts in a puddle was in reno nevada about an hour from the legal brothel .... i have seen these parasites all over america and if even half the crap was happening in your neighborhoods you would be crying and wringing your hands....it's real easy to sit in your insulated world and think things you see n t.v are cool but crime always follows trash... the redlight district in Amsterdam is one of the most hight crime area's in the city and tourists are warned about even going there....but yes prostitutes are legal... try riding down some of the side streets in vegas . it's overrun with non sanctioned whores...so it seems to me making it legal did nothing to take the crime out of it....
Hence, the need for a specific red light district. Amsterdam has had 800 years of a red-light district and has not had any problems until the last 20. There are two reasons here
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/wo...amsterdam.html

You will find those same elements here operating in the US, but then your going into trafficking. That goes beyond consensual.

Prostitution is "illegal" in Las Vegas. Now, Las Vegas is Sin City and you can have whatever sin you desire. It is no mystery what escort services are. It is no mystery that you will find high class call girls that you would think are tourists. Back in the day when places like The Fez were still in operation on the South end of the strip, it was no mystery the lower end of the scale of prostitutes would rent rooms for 2 hours. Those chics would rotate from the South end to the North, dependent on seasons.

Barb Brents and Kate Hausbeck did a study that supported the legalization of prostitution and a need for red-light districts making sure that it did not interefere with any neighborhoods that would be exposed to those things. Run a search, I'm not going to do everything here.

Another factor is that prostitutes do not need to get kicked out of a house to wind up at a truckstop. Truckstops are notorious for hookers and, frankly, it is 2008 and if you do not know what an STD could be:you almost deserve it. So, don't look at the prostitutes as the decimation of the unwitting family. This is not a one person is the responsibility factor here. There are a minimum of two people involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,252,557 times
Reputation: 21264
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i have seen some stupid comments in this debate but holy cow penicillin cures all std'd except aids????? what about hep c???? genital warts???? herpes??? i see those women in truck stops sometimes they'll go to ten or twelve trucks back to back ...sanitary ?? safe??? most of them have no teeth because the meth has ate them to the gumline ....20 year old girls who look 3 times their age... they squat down and wash their privates in a mudhole...seen that too.....they steal ...sell drugs....sell their body all for the next hit....so hey go ahead legalize it i am sure this is what you want your kids to see ..... you don't want moral pushed on you but get real and think about it all of you.. it's easy to sit back in your comfortable existence and say ohh it's ok it's her body..until a brothel opens in your neighborhood ..and your wife or daughter applies for a job then will you be so smug???? no you will be crying and moaning and looking for sympathy... the perfect look for a hypocrit...easy to hide behind a screen name a scream legalize it but you will be the first to protest and picket when it comes to your little world....

I suppose it never occurred to you that the reason that these women must resort to this type of lifestyle is because it is NOT legal? If they were allowed to be a part of society and provided a needed service without having to resort to breaking the law and hiding from the authorities and eeking out a living doing the best they can without health care then I'm sure things would be DIFFERENT. Also, if the law were changed the profession would attract a little bit better class of person, since the fear of incarceration would be removed.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,778,569 times
Reputation: 8976
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
everything i descibed i have seen first hand and i have seen other thing i cannot put on here...and guess what?? the hooker cleaning her parts in a puddle was in reno nevada about an hour from the legal brothel .... i have seen these parasites all over america and if even half the crap was happening in your neighborhoods you would be crying and wringing your hands....it's real easy to sit in your insulated world and think things you see n t.v are cool but crime always follows trash... the redlight district in Amsterdam is one of the most hight crime area's in the city and tourists are warned about even going there....but yes prostitutes are legal... try riding down some of the side streets in vegas . it's overrun with non sanctioned whores...so it seems to me making it legal did nothing to take the crime out of it....
FYI......prostitution is NOT LEGAL in Las Vegas.....YES it is here.....YES it is riddled with AIDS etc.....YES it should be legal, licensed and controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 03:51 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
18,949 posts, read 21,942,804 times
Reputation: 6538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
FYI......prostitution is NOT LEGAL in Las Vegas.....YES it is here.....YES it is riddled with AIDS etc.....YES it should be legal, licensed and controlled.
Not in Las Vegas or a few specific counties of Nevada - legal in at least parts of many other Nevada counties though.

From Wikipedia: "As of July 2004, brothels are illegal under county or municipal law in Washoe County (which contains Reno), Carson City (an independent city), Douglas County, and Lincoln County. Eureka County neither permits nor prohibits licensed brothels, and has none. The other 11 Nevada counties permit licensed brothels in certain specified areas or cities."

I remember taking a bus tour around Lake Tahoe (from Reno) and among the places the bus passed by was one of the legal whorehouses.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top