U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,703,559 times
Reputation: 976

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
A real father and or sibling would tell their child/sibling that they didn't agree with their job but wouldn't try to dictate and tell them how to live their lives; that is, if they didn't agree with their daughter and or sister being a prostitute. From your statement I bet that you think that being a prostitute is a low lot in life and that the employee has some sort of emotional problem they are trying to sort out leading back to a childhood of molestation, rape, and sexual abuse right? Or that they are some addict trying to fed their addiction selling out their body? Tell me when I'm wrong. Fact is, high paying prostitutes make more than most 'respectable' jobs; and not all prostitutes have suffered a childhood or early years of some sort of sexual abuse. Some just like sex, some like to pay their way through college without collecting an astronomical amount of debt that they have to pay off when they graduate (unlike those who take out thousands in student loans to become doctors and lawyers and more 'respectable' persons), and some just like the security. The only thing different between a prostitute and a woman that marries someone for money or uses a man for money until the well is dry, is that the prostitute is up front about wanting cookies for her goodies. Where's the outrage with that?
If he thinks prostitution is wrong, why is he in a brothel? Hmmmm.....methinks that a "real father" running into his daughter in a brothel would either 1) say "Hi" or 2) say "Don't tell Mom." Doing otherwise is ....um...moronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
 
670 posts, read 1,409,902 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I always wondered what a man would do if he went to a brothel and saw his sister and daughter there , would he still think prostitution was okay? or would it change his opinion of who prostitutes are and what do they deserve out of life?
Women don't "have" to go in to prostitution, there are soooooooooo many programs for women to get some kind of education, there is no excuse, other than they choose that profession. We are talking women who willingly go into the profession now, not those forced to for some reason. And yes, if a family member or friend went into this profession, I wouldn't like it and would try to talk them into something else. Lets face it, they can only do it for so long anyway...then what are they going to do. That said....my wife worked with a woman who's car broke down and and didn't have the money to get it fixed so she found a mechanic, who she was able to work out a deal with, she did him a favor and he fixed her car. When I was in the military, a buddy of mine, picked up this woman at a bar and took her to her place. The next morning she asked him if he could buy some groceries for her and her little girl, he did. Are these examples of prostitution or just doing favors for each other??

Last edited by msta999; 02-09-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
 
Location: in purgurtory in London
3,721 posts, read 3,300,884 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I always wondered what a man would do if he went to a brothel and saw his sister and daughter there , would he still think prostitution was okay? or would it change his opinion of who prostitutes are and what do they deserve out of life?
That has happened afew time and no it's never pleasant for a family member to discover their own is a working girl. I don't have a daughter so I can't say what I'd do but if she was hell bent on that direction, I know what I'd do.

What I do know is that most most working girls I know are honourable women and as for them having no morals, for Immoral, one just have to look at the leaders of commerce and our leaders in our respective countires. Pre Obama that is, even though it's still early days, so I'll let him off the hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,267,462 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
After getting her law degree, when applying for a job at a law firm, do you think a prostitute will list "Nevada brothel prostitute" on her resume as her most recent job?
Yep. I know one who did exactly that - got the job at the firm too - based solely on her academic achievements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 948,370 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
After getting her law degree, when applying for a job at a law firm, do you think a prostitute will list "Nevada brothel prostitute" on her resume as her most recent job?
Yea, and? Your point? It's a job bud; that's it - nothing more, nothing less. Corporate CEO's and managers don't give a rat's ass if your 'immoral' or 'moral' (let's face it, most of them fall into the vice category more times than not). It's about credentials, not what church you go to. When you can effectively seperate that, then we'll talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Women don't "have" to go in to prostitution, there are soooooooooo many programs for women to get some kind of education, there is no excuse, other than they choose that profession.
No one is saying that they have to; it's a choice, just like everything else in life. I personally would not go into prostitution but I wouldn't fault another woman for doing it (legally of course). More power to her for at least being up front about exchanging money for sex. She's more honest than the professionals who will sell out everything but their vagina/penis to make a buck (take pharmaceutical reps for example). And she's damn sure more honest than the women who will sleep and marry men for the security. I'd take her as a friend any day than the regular office ****; just my honest opinion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
We are talking women who willingly go into the profession now, not those forced to for some reason. And yes, if a family member or friend went into this profession, I wouldn't like it and would try to talk them into something else. Lets face it, they can only do it for so long anyway...then what are they going to do.
Most are earning a college degree (take the lady who is selling her virginity and paying for graduate school and her sisters education) some invest their money into other markets to turn a profit, and some just save it. The possibilities are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
That said....my wife worked with a woman who's car broke down and and didn't have the money to get it fixed so she found a mechanic, who she was able to work out a deal with, she did him a favor and he fixed her car. When I was in the military, a buddy of mine, picked up this woman at a bar and took her to her place. The next morning she asked him if he could buy some groceries for her and her little girl, he did. Are these examples of prostitution or just doing favors for each other??
It's prostitution - no matter how much you wanna butter it up that's what it is. Engaging in sexual intercourse for money, goods, and or services is prostitution. You can butter it up anyway you like, but at the end of the day that's what it is. A woman doing a 'favor' for a mechanic is prostitution because she is using sex to get a service. A bar girl sleeping with a guy and asking him to buy groceries the next morning is prostitution; again, sex for goods. The prostitution of this kind is commonly referred to as gold digging (the woman are gold diggers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,703,559 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I don't have a daughter so I can't say what I'd do but if she was hell bent on that direction, I know what I'd do.

What I do know is that most most working girls I know are honourable women and as for them having no morals, ....
"no morals"...I think being a prostitute, or a prostitute's customer is perhaps one of the MOST moral things people can do. Don't get me wrong...I don't go to prostitutes because I made a vow to my wife... but think about this for a minute. A prostitute "uses" her customer for economic gain. The prostitute's customer "uses" the prostitute for physical/psychological need fulfullment. They are both honest with each other. Both know what they are getting out of the deal. I think this is much more honest than "planned obsolesence" when I buy a car--or the corners some builders cut when building homes. ...or the lies that some peanut companies tell...

I think prostitution is not immoral. Of course, as in anything human, there are behaviors that are immoral: sexual slavery, drug addition, physical violence, lies about diseases....but these are not prostitution--these are other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 635,891 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post

It's prostitution - no matter how much you wanna butter it up that's what it is. Engaging in sexual intercourse for money, goods, and or services is prostitution. You can butter it up anyway you like, but at the end of the day that's what it is. A woman doing a 'favor' for a mechanic is prostitution because she is using sex to get a service. A bar girl sleeping with a guy and asking him to buy groceries the next morning is prostitution; again, sex for goods. The prostitution of this kind is commonly referred to as gold digging (the woman are gold diggers).

The case of some guy having sex with a woman and then her asking, after the fact, if he would mind buying her some groceries, is NOT prostitution. Prostitution entails an upfront agreement to exchange sex for money (or something comparable to money). If there is no agreement to provide money/other stuff, then there is no sex. In the example that guy gave, apparently some woman had sex with a guy, then later asked him to help her out with groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 948,370 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
The case of some guy having sex with a woman and then her asking, after the fact, if he would mind buying her some groceries, is NOT prostitution. Prostitution entails an upfront agreement to exchange sex for money (or something comparable to money). If there is no agreement to provide money/other stuff, then there is no sex. In the example that guy gave, apparently some woman had sex with a guy, then later asked him to help her out with groceries.
Um, did you miss the part where I referred to it as gold digging (in case you didn't know gold digging=prostitution)? Prostitution is the act of selling sex for money, goods, or services. If you sleep with a guy and then ask him to buy you groceries, you have just pimped yourself out. Simple as that - nothing more, nothing less. It's sort of like a tacit agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Ohio
1,008 posts, read 635,891 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Um, did you miss the part where I referred to it as gold digging (in case you didn't know gold digging=prostitution)? Prostitution is the act of selling sex for money, goods, or services. If you sleep with a guy and then ask him to buy you groceries, you have just pimped yourself out. Simple as that - nothing more, nothing less. It's sort of like a tacit agreement.

So if I do something nice for you, say I get your son a job at my factory, and then two years later I ask you to watch my kids because I am going out of town for a funeral, and you do it, does that mean you only helped me because I helped you?

A guy has sex with a woman because he wants to pursue a relationship with her, she asks him to help her and her kid out when times are tough, since he cares about her, he helps her. It doesn't seem like an act of prostitution to me. There would have be some upfront understanding that the sex was only being provided because payment was expected/anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,518 posts, read 1,835,287 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So if I do something nice for you, say I get your son a job at my factory, and then two years later I ask you to watch my kids because I am going out of town for a funeral, and you do it, does that mean you only helped me because I helped you?

A guy has sex with a woman because he wants to pursue a relationship with her, she asks him to help her and her kid out when times are tough, since he cares about her, he helps her. It doesn't seem like an act of prostitution to me. There would have be some upfront understanding that the sex was only being provided because payment was expected/anticipated.
Wow, you are very naive. Not only is that woman a prostitute (hello? A one night stand is not a "guy wanting to pursue a relationship" and the situation given would be done out of guilt), but if you expect someone to "do you a favor" after you do one for them, then you are too. That's what the Mafia does, they "do a favor" with the understanding that you will do one in return at some point. If the girl went in with the intention of getting the guy to buy her groceries and asked him to do it, then yeah, she's a prostitute. In fact, any woman who goes on a date with a man and EXPECTS (not lets, just expects) him to pay is also a raging prostitute.

Nepotism is like prostitution, it just involves personal favors and new jobs instead sexual favors and hand jobs. If you get that person a job, don't speak to them for two years and then ask them a favor out of the blue because they are obligated to it, you prostituted yourself. Real friendship shouldn't require the expectation of assistance. Real relationships don't start with sex, then move to groceries before ever going on a real date.

The simple fact of the matter is that puritanical religious people in this country have hurt our economy by forcing prostitution into the black market and making it completely a waste of time for our police departments. Make prostitution legal and tax their earnings as income, and you have a brand new revenue stream coming in. Add in the savings in the booking and incarceration costs of pimps, johns and prostitutes, and you'll see how foolish illegal prostitution is.

Plus, as with every other prohibition in history, its wild failure is because the desire for it is far too great and such a black market exists that it creates organized crime. Allow Hilton Hotels to hire "house prostitutes" and you don't have any more pimps. Human trafficking for prostitution? That would drop because prostitutes would have police protection and brothels would be audited by public safety/health organizations.

Tell me, how is the prostitution prohibition doing today? Turn to the "escorts" part of the yellow pages and tell me now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top