U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Reputation: 4539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
No good would come of it?!? I thought I had made it a pretty clear argument as to the benefits of legalization but I guess I was either unclear or my posts were ignored. Here are the clif notes version of my argument for legalization:

The Problems:
1) As long as their has been currency there has been prostitution, its not going away. Keeping it illegal just ensures a higher price with little or no protection for the prostitutes.
2) Illegal prostitution is highly profitable and all the money goes into criminal hands. This money allows for human trafficking of girls (typically from poorer countries and under 18) into prostitution rings.
3) illegal prostitution typically forces the prostitutes into the worst parts of town with the least amount of protection, this aids in their exploitation. An illegal immigrant who has been forced into prostitution and barely speaks the local language has a slim chance of ever escaping. So they turn to hard drugs like cocaine/heroin to cope.
4) Fear of legal trouble causes prostitutes to be less likely to seek ample medical checkups to prevent spread of stds.
5) I have no exact figure but I would estimate the cost to law enforcement for prostitution to be in the hundreds of millions if not billions to the country.

The Solution:

Legalization would allow the brothels to be an open, safe environment, where all the revenue is regulated (prostitutes make fair share), kept out of the hands of criminals, and taxed. These tax dollars, in combination with the money saved from law enforcement, would provide for health clinics to give the prostitutes medical examinations/education to prevent spread of STDs. Regulation would ensure the prostitutes are of legal age and give them legal rights as workers to prevent any form of exploitation. Prostitutes given a safe and open working environment would be less likely to get addicted to hard drugs.
Even if it was legal, there could still be some "forced" into it. Illegal prostitution would still occur with some being forced in.

As to the part of your post I bolded, do you think that legal prostitution would be in the best part of town? It's still something that would be seen as shady and most people would want to avoid it.

And also do you think that with strict requirements, certain prostitutes wouldn't choose to merely avoid the requirements and engage in illegal prostitution anyway? The pimps will continue as they are now because they absolutely love the control and women will continue to be forced in.

As far as STD's and such, what is worse about a person having one-night stands three times a week? That's a very good way to spread STD's as well. Should the state regulate that?

To an extent, I do think it should be legalized. But, I think you are conveniently avoiding the fact that illegal prostitution will continue along with all the problems that go with it. I think you are also avoiding the fact that it is sex and that other consensual sex is not regulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Pensacola, Fl
656 posts, read 951,494 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Even if it was legal, there could still be some "forced" into it. Illegal prostitution would still occur with some being forced in.
And there is still a black market for cigarettes. You see how widespread that one is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As to the part of your post I bolded, do you think that legal prostitution would be in the best part of town? It's still something that would be seen as shady and most people would want to avoid it.
It wouldn't be in the crummy parts of towns; i.e. the hoods, the ghettos, the projects (which is where the crack houses - that house prostitutes also - and brothels are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And also do you think that with strict requirements, certain prostitutes wouldn't choose to merely avoid the requirements and engage in illegal prostitution anyway? The pimps will continue as they are now because they absolutely love the control and women will continue to be forced in.
And we still have a black market for cigarettes. Just like you can't wipe out the black market for cigarettes, you can't completely wipe it out for prostitution. But you can cut it down so much until there is barely in profit in it - because whether you like it or not, the pimps are more in it for the money than for controlling women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As far as STD's and such, what is worse about a person having one-night stands three times a week? That's a very good way to spread STD's as well. Should the state regulate that?
Is it the person's job to have three one night stands a week? If not, then no, we shouldn't regulate it. The difference in regulating prostitution and just sex in general is this: having sex is a prostitutes job. Therefore, you are allowed to place as many restrictions on it as you want. It goes under job safety to require condoms and contraceptives and to have testings for STD's. It is not a person's job (unless they want it to be) to have this many one night stands with x amount of people; it's their personal life and they can have as many one night stands as they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
To an extent, I do think it should be legalized. But, I think you are conveniently avoiding the fact that illegal prostitution will continue along with all the problems that go with it.
Do I need to whip out the cigarette example to show you how wipespread the problems of the illegal trade of those are again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think you are also avoiding the fact that it is sex and that other consensual sex is not regulated.
Because it's not apart of the job; tis why it's not regulated! When people start having sex for money (i.e. becoming a prostitute - under the presumption that it is legal of course) then we can regulate the sex. Until they do that. Then sex that is sex is just sex (between two consenting adults of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,611 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Even if it was legal, there could still be some "forced" into it. Illegal prostitution would still occur with some being forced in.
If you mean globally then yes obviously it will still go on, but here in America I do not see how people would be forced into prostitution if it was legal. Are people forced into the porn industry?

Quote:
As to the part of your post I bolded, do you think that legal prostitution would be in the best part of town? It's still something that would be seen as shady and most people would want to avoid it.
I see no reason to presume prostitution would stay localized to the poorer areas of town. They are there now because local enforcement has so many other issues to deal with that they are hard to stop. If it was legal the brothels could be placed in nicer parts of town (similar to where strip clubs are found) because they would not have to avoid the cops.

Quote:
And also do you think that with strict requirements, certain prostitutes wouldn't choose to merely avoid the requirements and engage in illegal prostitution anyway? The pimps will continue as they are now because they absolutely love the control and women will continue to be forced in.
Why would a customer go to an illegal source for something they can get legally? Would it not be in the best interest of the pimps to start a brothel and become legitimate? How could a women be forced into illegal prostitution, the main reason desperate women turn to prostitution is for money, so why would they not just join a legal brothel where they have the benefits and protection of law??

Quote:
As far as STD's and such, what is worse about a person having one-night stands three times a week? That's a very good way to spread STD's as well. Should the state regulate that?
I do not understand this point, I said the prostitutes would be given regular checkups to ensure they are safe and prevent the spread of STDs to the customers. I never said the government should regulate everyone's sex lives. But think about this, if it was legal and the girls had regular examinations, chances are using a prostitute would be safer, easier and possibly cheaper then having a one night stand. why bother with the lies and the wining and dining of a girl for a one night stand when you can just go to a brothel, have sex, and be home for supper?

Quote:
To an extent, I do think it should be legalized. But, I think you are conveniently avoiding the fact that illegal prostitution will continue along with all the problems that go with it. I think you are also avoiding the fact that it is sex and that other consensual sex is not regulated.
Right but prostitution is a business, and businesses get regulated. And can you give a little more detail as to why you think illegal prostitution will continue because my logic leads me to believe otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Even if it was legal, there could still be some "forced" into it. Illegal prostitution would still occur with some being forced in.

As to the part of your post I bolded, do you think that legal prostitution would be in the best part of town? It's still something that would be seen as shady and most people would want to avoid it.

And also do you think that with strict requirements, certain prostitutes wouldn't choose to merely avoid the requirements and engage in illegal prostitution anyway? The pimps will continue as they are now because they absolutely love the control and women will continue to be forced in.

As far as STD's and such, what is worse about a person having one-night stands three times a week? That's a very good way to spread STD's as well. Should the state regulate that?

To an extent, I do think it should be legalized. But, I think you are conveniently avoiding the fact that illegal prostitution will continue along with all the problems that go with it. I think you are also avoiding the fact that it is sex and that other consensual sex is not regulated.
Of course there will be some elements that will go against the law. Some women will do it without the legal requirements, and on and on. No law stops everbody from breaking it. That is a given.

The question is, does it minimize problems? It does and "ulne", sorry it is a long name I apologize for making it short, covered the benefits of making it legal.
Another point, I do not know if you read one of my previous messages. In Germany brothels are not in shady parts of town as you claim that would happen. The same I saw in Amsterdan and Nuremberg. Read the message.

I personaly think it is sad if anybody prositutes her/her body for money but if that is done, well, laws should be there to protect that individual and have as safe and healthy environment with protection and care laws for that profession. No different than other professions that may require licencing for health purposes.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Prostitution is not Legal in the City of Las Vegas nor Clark County (where the Strip is located).

Metro (the cops) Vice unit focus's on the street hooker who will "do you" in your car, in an alley - wherever. Many of these hookers are high on drugs - or looking for a fix, have some mean pimps etc.

However, you want a High Class Hooker? Stay at one of the resorts - and you will find them. Dressed to the 10's. Well educated. Classy. Or, ask the Bellmen or Concierge - they can get you what you want.

Does Metro bother this type of thing? Once a year they do - just to keep up a front. Other than that - No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
 
2,681 posts, read 3,573,781 times
Reputation: 3088
I agree with those who say it should be legalized. I'm sorry, but I'm sick of hearing about "Love" as a factor in relationships. Maybe for some, but most people just say that becuase it's socially unacceptable to say otherwise (read: Guy likes her body, Girl likes his wallet).

Even as a christian, I think it does us great desservice to force morality onto everyone. Let those who truly walk in the ways of the lord stay in the ways of the lord, and let those who seek darkness have their fun, becuase you're not fooling anyone anyway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 12:50 PM
 
30 posts, read 96,920 times
Reputation: 47
I'd say a literal majority of the women in suburban middle America are prostitutes, they just practice it under a socially acceptable guise. They have a preconceived ideal of what they want out of a man, and they fornicate to get it. Whenever you hear women joking around about sleeping with their man to get their way-that's prostitution.

Keeping prostitution illegal is about one thing: keeping those who seek guidance from a fraudenant text of an invisible jew zombie satisfied. Once we progress beyond our social dogma's, these types of resounding social hypocrocies will slowly but surely creep out of the hands of the justice system.


It all stems from those seeking false morality from above and trickles down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2341 View Post
I'd say a literal majority of the women in suburban middle America are prostitutes, they just practice it under a socially acceptable guise. They have a preconceived ideal of what they want out of a man, and they fornicate to get it. Whenever you hear women joking around about sleeping with their man to get their way-that's prostitution.

Keeping prostitution illegal is about one thing: keeping those who seek guidance from a fraudenant text of an invisible jew zombie satisfied. Once we progress beyond our social dogma's, these types of resounding social hypocrocies will slowly but surely creep out of the hands of the justice system.


It all stems from those seeking false morality from above and trickles down.
I had to think about this one I must admit.
I am sure the word prostitute can be used more than one way besides paying for sex.
I do not necessarily agree labeling women prostitutes as you portrayed it. In a pure sense everyone is a prostitute when you ingratiate for anything to get something but that to me is really stretching it. If we are going to go that way men do prostitute themselves for money with the boss in some form. I just do not agree with your comment that the literal majority of women prostitute themselves. However, that is your view.
Also, I would like to know what is your meaning of the "jew zombie"? I do believe in free speech and with that in mind I would like to ask why the epithet using jews?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2341 View Post
I'd say a literal majority of the women in suburban middle America are prostitutes, they just practice it under a socially acceptable guise. They have a preconceived ideal of what they want out of a man, and they fornicate to get it. Whenever you hear women joking around about sleeping with their man to get their way-that's prostitution..
Your definition of the words, "prostitute," and "prostitution" does not agree with the definition of the word used by almost everybody else. This is not a minor issue, because it prevents real discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM
 
30 posts, read 96,920 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I had to think about this one I must admit.
I am sure the word prostitute can be used more than one way besides paying for sex.
I do not necessarily agree labeling women prostitutes as you portrayed it. In a pure sense everyone is a prostitute when you ingratiate for anything to get something but that to me is really stretching it. If we are going to go that way men do prostitute themselves for money with the boss in some form. I just do not agree with your comment that the literal majority of women prostitute themselves. However, that is your view.
Also, I would like to know what is your meaning of the "jew zombie"? I do believe in free speech and with that in mind I would like to ask why the epithet using jews?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
I was referring to Jesus Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Your definition of the words, "prostitute," and "prostitution" does not agree with the definition of the word used by almost everybody else. This is not a minor issue, because it prevents real discussion.
So in your opinion, where is the line drawn before it no longer becomes applicable? Using sex to get something; money, or things.

How is that not prostitution by anyone's definition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top