U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Reputation: 976

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I think a lot of people would not personally go to a prostitute but they cannot think of any reason another person should not be legally allowed to go to one. When you weigh the pros and cons it seems reasonable enough to legalize it.

THIS is exactly my opinion. I can think of few things I desire less than going to a prostitute--but I can think of no reason to criminalize the act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,021,303 times
Reputation: 465
Legalizing it and then regulating it, eliminates a lot of the problems that often come with prostitution when it's illegal. When it's legalized, those that operate in compliance with the law and pay taxes, help keep those from doing business that aren't in compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Legalizing it and then regulating it, eliminates a lot of the problems that often come with prostitution when it's illegal. When it's legalized, those that operate in compliance with the law and pay taxes, help keep those from doing business that aren't in compliance.
How right you are! Same logic as for alcohol, tobacco, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,965,576 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
How right you are! Same logic as for alcohol, tobacco, etc.
Etc= marijuana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,778,884 times
Reputation: 4539
The pimps will continue to run illegal prostitution. If they are somehow stopped, they will simply become rapists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Nowhere
9,761 posts, read 2,965,576 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The pimps will continue to run illegal prostitution. If they are somehow stopped, they will simply become rapists.
I need me one of them crystal balls.. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,778,884 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
I need me one of them crystal balls.. lol.
It sounds funny and I certainly didn't mean every one of them. They are all in it for the money (which I think they will have a hard time giving up) but many are also in it for power and control. They are indirectly "raping" the prostitutes. I don't think the sickest of these b***rds would just go away.

They pull girls in at very young ages and, if a minimum age of 18 or 21 was set, it would not stop them from going after the 13 and 14 year old girls. After all, it would still be illegal for those girls to be prostitues.

There was a case in my area a few years ago where these sick 40 year old men recruited some high school boys to lure middle school girls into prostitution. The girls worked for them for months before the group was caught. Absolutely disgusting. If anything, making prostitution legal for adults (and assuming the women can break free) will direct the pimps' attention to the kids even more.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-31-2009 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The pimps ... If they are somehow stopped, they will simply become rapists.
That is not at all true. There is absolutely no evidence to even begin assuming this--this is nothing but an emotional outburst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,778,884 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
That is not at all true. There is absolutely no evidence to even begin assuming this--this is nothing but an emotional outburst.
Prostitution - Is Prostitution a Victimless Crime?

Most of the pimps actually already are rapists. What makes you think legalizing prostitution will make them change? It won't. They'll just become worse. They have control over the women and can rape them two ways - the regular way and by forcing them to have sex with OTHER men as well. If the women are actually able to escape, they will have to find a new way to get the second part of their control needs met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,229,521 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
That is not at all true. There is absolutely no evidence to even begin assuming this--this is nothing but an emotional outburst.
Don't put to much into it man, he just likes to go off like that. Seeing as how we already have legal prostitution in parts of America your point is already proved true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top