U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,018,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A large majority of prostitutes are forced in as teenagers. It's not catering to individuals who are pedophiles. Pedophilia involves pre-pubescent children.

It's catering to the same individuals.

What I am afraid of is that if prostitution is legal and the adult women can get out, the pimps will focus even more on the teens.

That said, they won't give up on the adult women so easily.
Sex between an adult and someone under the age of consent carries serious penalties for the adult. Most prostitution now doesn't even involve a pimp...women work in alone or for an agency of some kind (that takes a cut, usually half but, they're not pimps). The whole point is what you fear won't even have a market if it's legalized. You're talking about what's happened in the past where it's been illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Sex between an adult and someone under the age of consent carries serious penalties for the adult. Most prostitution now doesn't even involve a pimp...women work in alone or for an agency of some kind (that takes a cut, usually half but, they're not pimps). The whole point is what you fear won't even have a market if it's legalized. You're talking about what's happened in the past where it's been illegal.
True that sex between an adult and someone under the age of consent carries serious penalties for the adult, but the age of consent in many states is as low as 16. Prostitution with girls that young should be illegal without any question.

As far as pimps, I'm not sure about exact statistics on how many prostitutes have pimps. The lower the number, the less I'd be opposed to legalizing.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,715,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I could say that I'm going to k*** you. Should I be arrested for using words with no proof of action.
I beleive such a statement is a crime: Threats of Terrorism. (Yes, I am serious.)

Old 03-31-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I beleive such a statement is a crime: Threats of Terrorism. (Yes, I am serious.)
You are correct. "Terroristic threat" actually.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times
Apparently some people do not have kids.

I raised seven and one time or another one would be mad at a sibling and say "I'm going to k*** you.

(figure of speech) Get a life.

Steve

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I raised seven and one time or another one would be mad at a sibling and say "I'm going to k*** you.
Yes. I certainly understand.

The laws do require intent to cause the other person to actually legitimately fear serious injury or death.

Also...police and prosecutorial discretion are extremely important when dealing with that offense.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM

857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
I leave the post alone for a day and it turns into a debate about the seriousness of a threat to kill another person??? ... Come on guys, focus!

Now I am aware that it would never pass as a national law right now, so I think what would be best is to work on expanding/regulating the places where prostitution is legal, namely Nevada. Now it is technically legal but its not within the city limits of either Reno or Vegas, and it is not being taxed. Lets make it legal within the city limits and allow it to be taxed. I'm guessing that between gambling and prostitution Nevada would have one of the best state budgets in the Country.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I leave the post alone for a day and it turns into a debate about the seriousness of a threat to kill another person??? ... Come on guys, focus!

Now I am aware that it would never pass as a national law right now, so I think what would be best is to work on expanding/regulating the places where prostitution is legal, namely Nevada. Now it is technically legal but its not within the city limits of either Reno or Vegas, and it is not being taxed. Lets make it legal within the city limits and allow it to be taxed. I'm guessing that between gambling and prostitution Nevada would have one of the best state budgets in the Country.
Nevada could then be used as a more appropriate study to determine whether it is feasible to legalize in other states.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM

163 posts, read 364,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
See I hate this mindset that if its not a cure all its not worth it. Can we admit that legalizing prostitution would REDUCE all of these problems and thus be a step in the right direction?

we should allow pedophilia too since apparently arresting and putting offenders behind bars doesn't work either then.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,228,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Nevada could then be used as a more appropriate study to determine whether it is feasible to legalize in other states.
See, even Afoi is for it, Nevada its time to step up your game. We need a guinea pig state

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
we should allow pedophilia too since apparently arresting and putting offenders behind bars doesn't work either then.
Casus, you completely misunderstood my point and took it as the exact opposite of my intent. Nobody here is arguing that pedophilia should be legalized, but I am worried that thats where your head went. You argue against the exact mindset that I was saying I hate. Imprisoning pedophiles REDUCES the amount, but it doesn't stop it, so some would say that means its not worth it. I would say the imprisonment IMPROVES things and is a step in the right direction which is what prostitution would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates