U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I'm going to agree with Afoi on this one, the last thing we need is more people in prison for non violent crimes. Instead just make the fines expensive enough to discouraage anyone from risking it, especially when they could just as easily do it legally in a brothel. I think you'll find more prostitutes would worry about losing money rather than going to jail for 10 days or whatever.
I think you misunderstood. His proposal is to make illegal prostitution punishable by a minimum 6 months in jail if prostitution is legalized and regulated.

Prostitutes currently serve an average of about 10 days. That would mean the number of illegal prostitutes would need to be 1/18th the number now in order for even the exact same number of people to be in jail for it. I don't think there's any way the numbers will go down that much.

As far as fines, how do you think they'll get the money to pay the fines?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,229,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think you misunderstood. His proposal is to make illegal prostitution punishable by a minimum 6 months in jail if prostitution is legalized and regulated.

Prostitutes currently serve an average of about 10 days. That would mean the number of illegal prostitutes would need to be 1/18th the number now in order for even the exact same number of people to be in jail for it. I don't think there's any way the numbers will go down that much.

As far as fines, how do you think they'll get the money to pay the fines?
No I understood just fine, he wants to make jail time the punishment for illegal prostitution after its made legal. And I think its dumb to put non violent criminals in jail (I do think of rapists and pedophiles as predatory and thus violent so def keep them locked up). There's no need for jail time for prostitution, we can find a better way of enforcement. And as far as the fines are concerned, I am talking about HIGH fines, like $50,000 or something. No prostitute would be able to illegally make that kind of money after its been made legal, so they would not risk it.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,479 times
Quote:
No I understood just fine, he wants to make jail time the punishment for illegal prostitution after its made legal. And I think its dumb to put non violent criminals in jail (I do think of rapists and pedophiles as predatory and thus violent so def keep them locked up). There's no need for jail time for prostitution, we can find a better way of enforcement. And as far as the fines are concerned, I am talking about HIGH fines, like $50,000 or something. No prostitute would be able to illegally make that kind of money after its been made legal, so they would not risk it.
Such sentiments are admirable. But legalizing prostitution will not eliminate illegal prostitution. It will only reduce it. It would reduce it a lot, but there will still be someone, somewhere, that will break the law--it's sort of a "law" of human nature, that someone, somewhere thinks that the law doesn't apply to them.

I am in favor of legalizing prostitution and regulating it for a lot of reasons. One of which is the reduction in illegal prostituion--but I'm not fooling myself. Illegal prostituion won't disappear. Ever.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Such sentiments are admirable. But legalizing prostitution will not eliminate illegal prostitution. It will only reduce it. It would reduce it a lot, but there will still be someone, somewhere, that will break the law--it's sort of a "law" of human nature, that someone, somewhere thinks that the law doesn't apply to them.

I am in favor of legalizing prostitution and regulating it for a lot of reasons. One of which is the reduction in illegal prostituion--but I'm not fooling myself. Illegal prostituion won't disappear. Ever.
You're right and I agree it will never go away completely but we have to start somewhere. And now seems about as good a time as any, so what are we waiting for? NEVADA GET ON IT !!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,229,251 times
Quote:
You're right and I agree it will never go away completely but we have to start somewhere. And now seems about as good a time as any, so what are we waiting for? NEVADA GET ON IT !!
Laws are hardly enforced here already, so this is pretty much a guinea pig for legal prostitution. If I was a cop there would not be enough hours in the day to arrest all of the prostitutes I could find, it really is like theres no laws here in Vegas.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Laws are hardly enforced here already, so this is pretty much a guinea pig for legal prostitution. If I was a cop there would not be enough hours in the day to arrest all of the prostitutes I could find, it really is like theres no laws here in Vegas.
Here the cops are doing a huge crackdown on it. They are doing aggressive enforcement and are putting the prostitues' mugshots on TV and the Internet to embarass them.

It seems to be kind of a massive waste of resources but, at the same time, prostitution causes all kinds of problems. The murder rates in most cities in my area are decreasing every year. I'm not saying it's just because they're doing a good job of getting rid of prostitutes - but it's been proven over and over again that enforcement of these so called "victimless" crimes seems to deter far more serious ones.

They're also cracking down on public intoxication and drug offenses.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 04-02-2009 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 02:35 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,229,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Here the cops are doing a crackdown on it. It seems to be kind of a massive waste of resources. If the laws are on the books though, I feel they should be enforced.
You and I both. Even tho I would support legalizing prostitution, I don't really want it shoved in my face every time I get to work. Hundreds of Mexicans line the streets with their little call girl cards flicking them and handing them out, its really irritating. Its really inappropriate when a family is walking by and they try to give it to a teenage kid. A little funny, but inappropriate.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:00 AM

Well I guess Nickeldude just needs to get ahold of his representative and see what needs to be done in order to get it legalized. I would do it but I am not in Nevada. Godspeed nickeldude!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:15 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You and I both. Even tho I would support legalizing prostitution, I don't really want it shoved in my face every time I get to work. Hundreds of Mexicans line the streets with their little call girl cards flicking them and handing them out, its really irritating. Its really inappropriate when a family is walking by and they try to give it to a teenage kid. A little funny, but inappropriate.
The TSA (transport safety agency) got rid of Hare Krishna at the airport...maybe we could get the TSA to crack down on the call-girl-card-flickers too...just a thought.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,020,585 times
Quote:
I'm going to agree with Afoi on this one, the last thing we need is more people in prison for non violent crimes. Instead just make the fines expensive enough to discouraage anyone from risking it, especially when they could just as easily do it legally in a brothel. I think you'll find more prostitutes would worry about losing money rather than going to jail for 10 days or whatever.
They won't make much money in jail for six months either. If you don't give stiff penalties along with legalizing it, it will never stop. You don't neeed to send people to prison for prostitution....jail is fine. I'm from Arizona and although I'm not crazy about sheriff Joe Arpaio but, he does know how to run a jail on a tight budget....tent city. Las Vegas is the same climate as Phoenix so, conditions would be about the same. In tent city, the prisoners sleep on cots under old army tents. The sides are rolled up during the summer months and they have a heater in each one for the winter mornings. He manages to feed the prisoners on something like 30 cents a meal. I think your drink (milk) comes in a zip lock baggie....it's jail, it's not the Hilton. Six months isn't a big deal, they give one year for third degree burglary. The other thing that would work, is a suspended sentences in exchange for a lot of community service....like a 1,000-1,500 hours......picking up litter.

I'm sure at first there would be quite an increase in prisoners but, won't stay that way for long. You have to remember the number of people being arrested for it now, is because it's illegal now. If it's legalized, it would only be the people that were unwilling to operate within the law that would be getting arrested. If you don't increase the penalties for operating illegaly, there would be little incentive to stay with in the law....not having to pay taxes alone would make it worth while to operate illegaly. You can't just increase fines....a lot won't be able to pay them any way....then what, you'll have people in jail for not being able to pay their fines.

I'm not crazy about Sinapore either but, there's an example of where heavy penalties do work...I'm just talking about doing it for the prostitution though. I've heard, if you don't flush a urinal over there when you're done, it's $500 fine....on the other hand women can walk down a street alone at midnight over there with no fear of being attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates