U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
As I've said before....as long as the majority of citizens or legislators approve it (on a state or local level) and the courts do not rule the laws unconstitutional, I'm fine with certain acts being banned.
Are you just as fine with certain acts NOT being banned, for the same reasons? If the legislature relaxes its ban on prostitution and allows it, you will drop your opposition to it and quietly get on with your life?

You have to remember that in the USA, it's a situation of things being OK if the government doesn't ban them. Not your way, where things are prohibited until the government says they are not banned.

As for the decency question, that is a tougher one to sort out. People have a right to live in a community in which acts deemed indecent, by community standards, are at least hidden from public view. Is is perfectly OK with me if consenting adults are required by decency laws, to exercise whatever it is they do behind closed doors, but I agree that it is not a good thing for the behavior to be on public view amid those who think it is indecent.

Which do you think reflects more on decency and community standards? A few discreet establishments where consenting adults can arrange activities in private places, or gang bangers with rims driving through supermarket parking lots blasting loud music whose lyrics are comprised chiefly of the F-word? Yet, it is only the second group that has constitutional protection.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2009 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,776,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are you just as fine with certain acts NOT being banned, for the same reasons? If the legislature relaxes its ban on prostitution and allows it, you will drop your opposition to it and quietly get on with your life?

You have to remember that in the USA, it's a situation of things being OK if the government doesn't ban them. Not your way, where things are prohibited until the government says they are not banned.

As for the decency question, that is a tougher one to sort out. People have a right to live in a community in which acts deemed indecent, by community standards, are at least hidden from public view. Is is perfectly OK with me if consenting adults are required by decency laws, to exercise whatever it is they do behind closed doors, but I agree that it is not a good thing for the behavior to be on public view amid those who think it is indecent.

Which do you think reflects more on decency and community standards? A few discreet establishments where consenting adults can arrange activities in private places, or gang bangers with rims driving through supermarket parking lots blasting loud music whose lyrics are comprised chiefly of the F-word? Yet, it is only the second group that has constitutional protection.
I am a supporter of states' rights. Luckily I know that in my conservative state, it's a long, long ways off before prostitution would ever be legalized.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I am a supporter of states' rights. Luckily I know that in my conservative state, it's a long, long ways off before prostitution would ever be legalized.
Judging by what's going on in my town, legalizing it would not make much difference. It would just cut down on harrassment by dickcops of people they choose to target for other reasons. They'd just have to find other reasons to harrass them, and I bet they've got lots.

That's what happens when you let your legislators run around banning things and never enforcing the ban, but just using it as a tool to act tough and kick people around, which why some of them become cops in the first place.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Judging by what's going on in my town, legalizing it would not make much difference. It would just cut down on harrassment by dickcops of people they choose to target for other reasons. They'd just have to find other reasons to harrass them, and I bet they've got lots.

That's what happens when you let your legislators run around banning things and never enforcing the ban, but just using it as a tool to act tough and kick people around, which why some of them become cops in the first place.
They're doing a pretty good job of enforcing the laws here...the laws enacted by the same legislature if your location is correct.

They've even started putting the johns' photos on the Internet and on community cable channels.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
They're doing a pretty good job of enforcing the laws here...the laws enacted by the same legislature if your location is correct.

They've even started putting the johns' photos on the Internet and on community cable channels.
That novelty wil wear off when they discover that nobody really cares.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That novelty wil wear off when they discover that nobody really cares.
Ummm....no.

65% of Texans are against gay marriage, 60% are against abortion.

I'd say at least similar numbers are against prostitution.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Ummm....no.

65% of Texans are against gay marriage, 60% are against abortion.

I'd say at least similar numbers are against prostitution.
Doesn't mean they'd switch to the Johns channel (from the houses for sale channel).
They also favored George W. Bush. spare me.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,979 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean they'd switch to the Johns channel (from the houses for sale channel).
They also favored George W. Bush. spare me.
Not only did they "favor" GWB....they also allowed him to move back to Texas after his stint in DC.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:49 PM

857 posts, read 1,229,763 times
what does it matter what they do in texas?? anyone in texas that wants a legal prostitute can just go to Vegas.

prostitution needs to just become legal within city limits in vegas, everyone who wants a prostitute already goes there anyway... why make them drive out of the city limits or use an illegal prostitute??

Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
what does it matter what they do in texas?? anyone in texas that wants a legal prostitute can just go to Vegas.

?
Mexico is closer, and Ive heard they are a lot nicer, the ones Ive seen are a lot prettier, not to mention cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates