U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
857 posts, read 1,228,861 times
Reputation: 558

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean we can talk about prostitution as long as we don't address its A) legality or B) morality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You need to worry about it if you assert that laws are based on morality, or that laws define morality. You need to worry about whether you can defend your argument or not.

There are many countries, not just Somalia, in which the laws are somewhat arbitrarily imposed and/or enforced. That doesn't make them better or worse than ours, it only means that thay are arrived at through a different legislative process. They are still the applicable laws within the structure of the community, and people either obey them or face potential sanctions.

For ordinary people on the street in Somalia, life goes on, with people treating each other with respect and dignity and courtesy, the same as has been true in their culture for centuries. Everybody has a sense of what is moral. These days, that sense is sometimes ourtaged by the political vacuum, but life in Somalia goes on within a recognized and cultural moral framework.
None of this has anything to do with prostitution. And if you think it does then can you please clarify and then I will be happy to continue the debate. Because to me it appears you are arguing about legislating morality and not prostitution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
 
8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Reputation: 3651
So, what's the difference between prostitution and massage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,602,170 times
Reputation: 461
How about people with morals realize that morals can't be forced onto other people just not to offend you. Prostitution is not immoral and sex is one those things important to a persons well-being like food and sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
How about people with morals realize that morals can't be forced onto other people just not to offend you. Prostitution is not immoral and sex is one those things important to a persons well-being like food and sleep.
That's why we have a system where legislators or citizens have to vote on laws....including those that are morality-based. It's not a small group enforcing moral standards on everyone else.

Prostitution is immoral to myself and to many, many other (if not most) Americans, so you can't simply say "it is not immoral."

Sex is important yes but it can hardly be compared to food or sleep. I'd die without food or sleep, but I'd still be alive without sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,602,170 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
That's why we have a system where legislators or citizens have to vote on laws....including those that are morality-based. It's not a small group enforcing moral standards on everyone else.

Prostitution is immoral to myself and to many, many other (if not most) Americans, so you can't simply say "it is not immoral."

Sex is important yes but it can hardly be compared to food or sleep. I'd die without food or sleep, but I'd still be alive without sex.
The system would work well if only we had voter participation of federal officials at more than just 30% average for congress, senators, president, governors, etc. People just don't care about government policies like they should. So it might be immoral to you but it isn't to me or to the people i know. And thats great but how many of them are going to speak up and change the system? None, because people like you are so resilliant and persistant that you believe your way of living is the best because its all based on morals that only you and a small minority truly believe in.
While your so opposed to prostitution for the wrong reasons look at it the right way. If we legalized prostitution what will happen?
1) decrease in rapes(we are number one in the industrialized world for rapes)
2) The police can actively go after trafficking rings and pimps rather than the johns and hookers. Since the johns(not always) and hookers are not the problem.
3) The hookers will have a safer environment because they can call for protection from violent johns and have them arrested. Guys(some) having sex with hookers do it because they can get away with violently beating up an innocent girl.
4) The spread of disease can be controlled or limited to only people participating in risky unregulated sex. Because condoms would be readily available to limit the spread of stds.
5) American culture on sex is way too primitive because of it always being hush hush. If we legalize prostitution maybe people will start letting people live in some freedom yeah?
Did you know that the Roman Catholic church owned brothals in Amsterdam and around Europe? Why the church was the biggest pimp in Europe for over a century.

is sex necessary?
Quote:
forbes.com Scientists say yes, and not just for reproduction. "The best that modern science can say for sexual abstinence is that it's harmless when practiced in moderation. Having regular and enthusiastic sex, by contrast, confers a host of measurable physiological advantages, whether you're male or female." Be careful though guys, you can OD on sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
forbes.com — Scientists say yes, and not just for reproduction. "The best that modern science can say for sexual abstinence is that it's harmless when practiced in moderation
How do you practice abstinence "in moderation"?
Isn't this kind of like being "a little bit celibate"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Long Beach, CA
108 posts, read 230,831 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
The system would work well if only we had voter participation of federal officials at more than just 30% average for congress, senators, president, governors, etc. People just don't care about government policies like they should. So it might be immoral to you but it isn't to me or to the people i know. And thats great but how many of them are going to speak up and change the system? None, because people like you are so resilliant and persistant that you believe your way of living is the best because its all based on morals that only you and a small minority truly believe in.
While your so opposed to prostitution for the wrong reasons look at it the right way. If we legalized prostitution what will happen?
1) decrease in rapes(we are number one in the industrialized world for rapes)
2) The police can actively go after trafficking rings and pimps rather than the johns and hookers. Since the johns(not always) and hookers are not the problem.
3) The hookers will have a safer environment because they can call for protection from violent johns and have them arrested. Guys(some) having sex with hookers do it because they can get away with violently beating up an innocent girl.
4) The spread of disease can be controlled or limited to only people participating in risky unregulated sex. Because condoms would be readily available to limit the spread of stds.
5) American culture on sex is way too primitive because of it always being hush hush. If we legalize prostitution maybe people will start letting people live in some freedom yeah?
Did you know that the Roman Catholic church owned brothals in Amsterdam and around Europe? Why the church was the biggest pimp in Europe for over a century.

is sex necessary?
In the Nevada counties where it is legal, all of your points hold true. It takes place in a controlled environment where both the prostitue AND the client are protected by in house security. Condoms are MANDATORY and the girls are checked once a week for disease. Has there ever been a case of STD's coming from any of the NV brothels? To my knowledge, no.

Now, contrast that with Clark County (Vegas) where prostitution is illegal where you have all of the problems with illegality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz1 View Post
In the Nevada counties where it is legal, all of your points hold true. It takes place in a controlled environment where both the prostitue AND the client are protected by in house security. Condoms are MANDATORY and the girls are checked once a week for disease. Has there ever been a case of STD's coming from any of the NV brothels? To my knowledge, no.

Now, contrast that with Clark County (Vegas) where prostitution is illegal where you have all of the problems with illegality.
This goes back to my origingal point.....about a jillion posts ago: Legalize it, tax it, regulate it. Doing so would make life better for everyone--even those people who don't to ever see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,602,170 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post

How do you practice abstinence "in moderation"?
Isn't this kind of like being "a little bit celibate"?
Obviously the secret code you did not pick up.
Don't masterbate so frequently and you won't have to worry about getting some Urinary tract infection or some wierd stuff happening to your penis and genitals. Thats what they meant. And to keep it clean down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Obviously the secret code you did not pick up.
Don't masterbate so frequently and you won't have to worry about getting some Urinary tract infection or some wierd stuff happening to your penis and genitals. Thats what they meant. And to keep it clean down there.

WAY TOO ESOTERIC for me....I'm a simple bloke. (do not forget to use the "ke" in that sentence.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top