U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 AM

32 posts, read 67,525 times

Advertisements

The Point is, you can never really give a correct opinion on a subject that you yourself has never experienced. Hopefully you will never have to, but so many women are brought here to this country as slaves, nd are made to have sex with people they do not want to. Period. If it was to be made legal, I cant imagine the effect. The number of women, and children brought to THIS country ( the country with the most clients, of course) is extremely discusting. These women are kidnapped most of the time, and promised to be given a chance of freedom once they fufilll what is "owed". Many times, that nevcer happens, escape of help from the ICE teams in America are the only hope. So yes, I hope it stays illegal, for those women and children's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
How many of these "sex slave" women are there? Give us a reasonable, reliable estimate. Is it a large enough number that we need to impose broad general laws against commonplace social activity, just to protect these few?

Furthermore, the number of sex-slave immigrants is probably smaller than the number of immigrant women and children who are forced into other perfectly legal activieies, like laundry and piece-work assembly.

Keeping prostitution illegal has, obviously, had no effect whatsoever on reducing the number of women who are forced into prostitution. The fact is, there are so few women forced into prostitution, that it is necessary for free women to enter the industry perfectly voluntarily, just to fill the demand and make up for the shortfall in sex slave women.

I suspect that you are living proof of your opening statement. You have probably had no personal contact in any manner with any person "forced" to do anything, so you can never give a really correct opinion on it. And, if it were made legal, it is certainly true that "you cannot imagine" the effect it would have.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,717,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
The Point is, you can never really give a correct opinion on a subject that you yourself has never experienced. Hopefully you will never have to, but so many women are brought here to this country as slaves, nd are made to have sex with people they do not want to. Period. If it was to be made legal, I cant imagine the effect. The number of women, and children brought to THIS country ( the country with the most clients, of course) is extremely discusting. These women are kidnapped most of the time, and promised to be given a chance of freedom once they fufilll what is "owed". Many times, that nevcer happens, escape of help from the ICE teams in America are the only hope. So yes, I hope it stays illegal, for those women and children's sake.
If it were made legal, the economic rewards of prostitution would drop and then stablize. There would be fewer economic rewards for sexual enslavement. Moreove, legalizing prostitution does not legalize slavery. Slavery ought to be a crime punishible by life in prison. Enslaving someoone for prostitution, or any other purpose should remain a crime.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM

485 posts, read 903,529 times
So whats the rate for good ladie of the night? Is it cheaper by the pound lol...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM

309 posts, read 748,755 times
yum yum..........

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM

484 posts, read 1,046,876 times
Default I never understood....

How can we criminalize the sale of something that is legal to give away?

I think the criminal prosecution of women engaged in prostitution does far more harm to them then the act itself. Prosecuting prostitution does far more to encourage women to remain in "the business" than legalizing it would. Think about it: how many career options remain open to convicted prostitutes?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 PM

296 posts, read 584,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
How can we criminalize the sale of something that is legal to give away?
Great question.

I never understood why it was criminalized. I understand the moral perspective. But, as a woman, if my (fictional) husband wants to go out and have sex outside of our marriage, he's going to do that whether it's for free or for sale. Prostitution is not causing the downfall of the "American family."

People that are attracted to the prospect of buying sex are going to do it either way. Why not get some tax dollars for it? Why not regulate it so that it's safer for women in the sex trade and it's consumers?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM

857 posts, read 1,229,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
if my (fictional) husband wants to go out and have sex outside of our marriage, he's going to do that whether it's for free or for sale. Prostitution is not causing the downfall of the "American family."
The whole downfall of the family is such bs. Why is this country so terrified of sex??? We're perfectly fine with people having guns and killing each other because of the 2nd ammendment but if one man wants to give a woman money for sex, THATs an issue . If everyone was getting laid a lot more often the world would be a better place and no one has ever convinced me otherwise.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM

296 posts, read 584,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
The whole downfall of the family is such bs. Why is this country so terrified of sex??? We're perfectly fine with people having guns and killing each other because of the 2nd ammendment but if one man wants to give a woman money for sex, THATs an issue . If everyone was getting laid a lot more often the world would be a better place and no one has ever convinced me otherwise.
They are perfectly fine with it. Often, I find, the same people okay with civilians being killed in war are completely against abortion. At which point is a life more important (considering that person believes life begins at conception)? What's the one big difference? Sex.

Sex is still "dirty." It's still "shameful." It has a lot to do with people's own hangups.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM

857 posts, read 1,229,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
They are perfectly fine with it. Often, I find, the same people okay with civilians being killed in war are completely against abortion. At which point is a life more important (considering that person believes life begins at conception)? What's the one big difference? Sex.

Sex is still "dirty." It's still "shameful." It has a lot to do with people's own hangups.
Seriously its so ridiculous that if it wasn't so sad it would be funny. Prostitution is legal in many countries in Europe, I thought they were supposed to be the cultured ones with all that art and music and history. Don't we send the college kids over there to get 'cultured'?? If Europe is ok with it why can't America be ok with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates