U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM

33 posts, read 58,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo Zhou(Shanghai, China View Post
women have nothing except their bodies to sell, it's the most primitive way to make a living, so it's not shameful, but the society should be questioned. women should be protected in any society, right?
We should also outlaw labor work because it is the most primitive way men can make a living, how shameful.

So yeah I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times
Oldest profesion in the world and still going strong that will never stop.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM

33 posts, read 58,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Oldest profesion in the world and still going strong that will never stop.
Precisely! So why not turn it into a perk for the entire society? Regulate it and make it safe as well as profitable for all!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,586,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endprohibitions View Post
Precisely! So why not turn it into a perk for the entire society? Regulate it and make it safe as well as profitable for all!
Good afternoon,

I agree with you, but why do you think bumping every single old prostitution legalization threads will help your cause? Get it on the ballot and I'll vote for it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM

861 posts, read 2,292,772 times
There is one simple reason why it's illegal. The state government isn't getting their cut from taxes. I agree it should be legalized and regulated. It might even help balance the state budget...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM

135 posts, read 210,965 times
In my opinion, Roe vs. Wade decision legalized this nearly 40 years ago. Once it's actually challenged in court, at a high level, it will be legal again.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
There is one simple reason why it's illegal. The state government isn't getting their cut from taxes. I agree it should be legalized and regulated. It might even help balance the state budget...
That's not why. If that were the only reason, other states would adopt the Nevada model and get the tax money.

The real reason is the "moral majority" on the right and the feminists on the left don't want it.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Einstein View Post
In my opinion, Roe vs. Wade decision legalized this nearly 40 years ago. Once it's actually challenged in court, at a high level, it will be legal again.
Interesting, I thought of the connection of Roe v Wade Supreme Court's basis behind their decision and how it should relate to prostitution a few days ago when the endprohibitions poster bumped all of these threads.

It's interesting how one has the right to pay to kill a fetus inside their body but no right to pay or receive money for something that's already legal if it's free.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM

113 posts, read 173,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Morality aside, I agree with Katzen and others above, that the better way to deal with prostitution is to regulate and legalize it. Prostitution isn't called the oldest profession on earth for nothing you know! This means some people (men and women) have been selling their sexual services for centuries and will keep doing this no matter what the law says.

By legalization and proper regulation, at least the government will have some control over negative sides of this business, and receive revenue from income tax too.
You are so correct here! One more thing that could conceivably happen here if it were to be legalized and controlled, would be that the sex trafficking trade would be severely hurt since men and women would be able to do so willingly and openly instead of keeping it under the radar, which means no one could use exposure to legal authorities as a threat to their trafficking victims and the illegal part of the industry would suffer and REAL victimization could drop significantly!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
If a hooker gets an STD, then wouldn't it be workers compensation?
how about sexual harrassment in the workplace laws?????

that federal poster would look comical on the wall of a brothel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates