U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,492,251 times
Reputation: 686

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Sorry, but not all people are like you. We don't all lie, cheat, and steal. I know my husband just as he knows me. It's called trust. The fact that his references to the men on this board are usually negative (he thinks guys that hang on message boards are freaks), I have little doubt that he wouldn't want to be grouped with you guys.
What does he think of his wife hanging out at this board? Or women who hang out on message board or social network sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,215,946 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
What does he think of his wife hanging out at this board? Or women who hang out on message board or social network sites?
Well, he generalizes a bit and just thinks women like to talk. In my case, I like to argue, but that's how he feels about it. I'm sure the single men that hang out on message boards making asinine statements are comprised of a specific demographic, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 AM
 
2,115 posts, read 2,713,295 times
Reputation: 2227
Whatever picture of your husband that makes you happy, I suppose you should keep it.

And who's to say I'd cheat or steal?

All I'm saying is I don't see anything wrong with prostitution, unless one of the parts is cheating, and your husband might not either if he was discussing it in the locker-room rather than with you. Of course if I was talking to my female friends or expecially a SO I would have to call it disgusting before saying that it should be up to peoples own wills, because the non-anonymous discussion about these topics are sooo out of hand tabooed and stapled with being immoral etc.

The problem with prostitution in my eyes is that the fact that it is illegal makes it a business that promotes organized crime etc. prostitution was legal here 10 years ago, but since they made it illigal there have become all kinds of problems with it, especially for the girls. And this is my mayor concern with it, that by making it illegal, we put these women who are already at their knees in one struggle or another at way higher risk to violence etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,215,946 times
Reputation: 13392
eta:never mind, SV. I just read that you might have AS, which I guess accounts for your rhetoric and actually proves my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Whatever picture of your husband that makes you happy, I suppose you should keep it.
Are you really so self involved and inexperienced that you think all men are like you and yours? This is exactly one of the qualities held by troubled guys who hang out the internet. And not just guys, but a lot of people. You're under the erroneous impression that all people are carbon copies of you. If that were the case, we'd all still be writing on cave walls. But of course, since you would get a hooker and cheat on your wife, and your wife would step out on you and your crappy marriage, we all have to be charged with slumming.

Quote:
And who's to say I'd cheat or steal?
Um, picking up hookers while you're married is cheating and it's no different from stealing. They're character flaws. I'd call such a person a mental case as well.

Quote:
All I'm saying is I don't see anything wrong with prostitution, unless one of the parts is cheating, and your husband might not either if he was discussing it in the locker-room rather than with you. Of course if I was talking to my female friends or expecially a SO I would have to call it disgusting before saying that it should be up to peoples own wills, because the non-anonymous discussion about these topics are sooo out of hand tabooed and stapled with being immoral etc.
Whatever the case. I've been watching those youtube vids with hookers that need to shower and these fat, mutant looking men spending their $20 for a few moments of human contact. As far as legalities go, it makes no difference. Whether it's legal or not there will be the same issues. It's not going to make John's anything more than they are. It's not going to make a lot of these drug addicted hookers anything more then they are. What's important, imo, is that this demographic is not breeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM
 
1,248 posts, read 1,835,706 times
Reputation: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Again,
I've changed my mind on this.
Prostitution should be fully legal!
Age of consent laws should be fully abolished. There should be no limits on age-parings. (call it the 50/10 guidelines)
Rent and Sale of live human bodies for sexual gratification should be completely unfettered.
Government standards for quality of sexual services and health and safety practices should be developed and implemented and taxes levied to support regulatory agencies that will by necessity oversee the trade. Groups of individuals may invest in sex-market futures based on projected population demographics supply and demand.
All monogamy laws are in fact racist and unfair and lead to violence through sexual repression so therefore all monogamy laws should be thrown out. Any individual may rent/own any number of sexworkers provided that he/she can afford the associated fees.
Fair business rules must be developed to prevent discriminatory practices in the marketplace. Any customer with the money to rent / own a live body for sex shall not be refused.
Contractual rights and responsibilities for renters / owners of live human bodies need to be codified in order to keep the marketplace fair and promote safe sex usage.
Laws governing the short or long term rental of a body or the ownership of a body will need to be developed to promote respect for private property rights.
Standards and pricing will need to be developed for the sex-worker. Pricing will naturally have to reflect quality of product and availability. Testing measurements standards and metrics will have to be developed so that baselines can be established, particularly regarding product longevity, durability skin/flesh elasticity coefficients etc, all are points that will have to be addressed.
Human trafficking laws are archaic and should be abolished. Allowing restraints on the trade of bodies will generate unsustainable markets in some areas and flat markets in others. Tracking systems will have to be implemented to protect both the consumer and the provider. Continued social organizational repression of sexmarkets and backward prejudices against sexwork will continue to criminalize sexwork, making tracking of bodies (for health and safety reasons) difficult and adherence to standards impossible. Brining sexwork out of the shadows and into fully open and unrestrained public venues will go far to eliminating the less-savory criminal elements now running much of the sex marketing world.
Importation and exportation (global marketing) of live human bodies for sex should be fully unrestricted so that products can move to markets where demand is the greatest.
Custody emancipation laws need to be completely revamped so that live bodies for the sex markets can move w/o undue legal restraints tariffs or other inhibiting factors.
All agreed?
Prostitution, rental, purchase and ownership of a live human body of any gender or age for sexual gratification should be, no MUST BE fully legal!
Imagine! The day may come when we are free to walk into a store and buy a ten-year-old, take them home and use them for sex, without guilt or social judgment! How totally liberating that will be!
I simply can't wait!

Pathetic rhetoric. You play sockpuppet and carry other people's arguments to ludicrous conclusions while ignoring all qualifiers and permutations. Your "argument" is about as honest, persuasive or logical as someone falsifying your intentions into something sadistic. The argument here is about legalized prostitution, not child rape or slavery(heck, you've never heard the old line "What is the one thing you can sell over and over again and still possess?").


Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: The United States of Amnesia
1,362 posts, read 1,492,251 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Whatever the case. I've been watching those youtube vids with hookers that need to shower and these fat, mutant looking men spending their $20 for a few moments of human contact. As far as legalities go, it makes no difference. Whether it's legal or not there will be the same issues. It's not going to make John's anything more than they are. It's not going to make a lot of these drug addicted hookers anything more then they are. What's important, imo, is that this demographic is not breeding.
Why are you watching youtube vids about hookers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 02:24 PM
 
19,081 posts, read 21,215,946 times
Reputation: 13392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
Why are you watching youtube vids about hookers??
From the vid posted pages back about the hooker that was on Fox news. Why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
 
11,904 posts, read 14,386,346 times
Reputation: 7541
Well, it appears it is more prevalent than you think. And by someone who should know it is not legal yet.

25-year-old Ill. lawyer Reema Bajaj accused of prostitution - Crimesider - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,588,789 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
You are sounding like a spoilt little child who doesn't want to go to bed at a certain time, wants dessert after NOT eating your meal, and wants to continue playing when told it's time to stop. This doesn't have anything to do with a political belief. this is a belief of right or wrong.
Good afternoon,

Using personal attacks and references to children doesn't make your argument stronger. Adults should have the free will to make their own decisions in victimless situations, simply because they are NOT children who need to be "protected" by daddy government.

Your right and wrong is NOT my right and wrong, and part of being in a FREE society is to allow personal choice in situations where there is no victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
YES we have free will BUT we also have guidelines to follow I guess we can do away with ALL the laws and allow YOUR home to be robbed Your womenfolk to be used as prostitutes, All YOUR personal property to be taken by anyone who wants it. By someone else with free will I guess we can go out and kill anyone we want beacuse we have free will.
No one here is arguing for legalizing any situations with actual victims. Where did you read this in my post? Your post screams with strawman arguments.

I am referring to victimless prostitution, with consent among adults, not robbery, not forced prostitution. I did not say anything about anarchy and removing all laws, I am for removing all VICTIMLESS LAWS. Non-exploited women are smart enough to decide what they want to do with their own bodies.

Please counter my ACTUAL ARGUMENTS instead of creating new ones to support your viewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
I guess some of you out here are so pure you don't need the Lord or the Bible [or is it the fact that Saten has you in his grasp BUT you won't admit it!] Tis easier to mock someone's beliefs and try every trick in the book to have everything YOUR way. The laws have been around a lot longer then you ever were and will continue to be a lot longer AFTER you are on your way to Purgatory for your heathen ways.
You have to realize that we do not live in a theocracy and all Americans are not required to live by your beliefs. Would you still make the same argument if Muslims became the majority in America and decided to impose their religious view on the nation? I'm sure you would not, but somehow believe it's ok to do so when using your religious views to impose them on other Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post

Proverbs 5:3–5


3 For the lips of an immoral woman drip honey,
And her mouth is smoother than oil;
4 But in the end she is bitter as wormwood,
Sharp as a two-edged sword.
5 Her feet go down to death,
Her steps lay hold of hell.
Thanks for the Bible verse, but the Bible has nothing to do with the U.S. Constitution and our concept of freedom and liberty. You would have had a better argument if you used the Tenth Amendment, even though I believe a woman's bodily privacy rights should cover her choice to be a prostitue. If you want to use the Bible and your religious convictions when voting, by all means do so. You have that freedom, now don't fight others' free will to think otherwise or want to live outside of your religious views. You are NOT God, let them be judged on "Judgment Day".

Take a step back and look at how illogical the anti-prostitution argument is. I bet none of your supporters want to make free sex illegal, or want to make manual labor (renting your body) illegal, but somehow a person who advertises the two combined is a horrible thing. There's nothing wrong with protesting against it, but criminalizing something you disagree with is simply anti-freedom.

Once again, you cede the "religious conservative for freedom" argument used against Liberals when you yell for nanny government in victimless situations. I am for both economic and social freedom, why are you not?

Last edited by Freedom123; 06-12-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 1,588,789 times
Reputation: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Keeping prostitution illegal only hurts these poor ladies even more.

It should be done behind closed doors, with security near by, and medical checks should be regular and frequent.

But the Christian majority will never let that happen. Prostitution will be happening whether its legal or not. The question you have to ask yourself, should it be done safely? If your answer is yes, then it can't be illegal.
The Christian majority are hypocrites. I support them on economic issues, but I can't stand their hypocrisy on their social views. It's simply amazing how they attempt take the moral high ground against Liberals on freedom economically yet do the exact opposite socially in victimless situations.

If you're not for freedom on things you DISAGREE with, then you're not really for freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top