U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,514,086 times

Advertisements

How does that sound to you? Think about it, almost every war in history has been over territory, lines drawn on Earth by Men. But what exactly do these lines define? After all, we are all people, we are all different and the same, and yet we divide ourselves through way of Imaginary lines, if you look at the Earth from space, you couldn't tell were one country ended, and another began. So, here is my concept of "A World with no Boundaries."

All of the countries would become more like states, and follow the laws set by One World Government. The Capital would be in an entirely new city, the Capitol Building would combine historic architecture from all continents (Aztec, ancient Chinese, Egyptian, Roman, Colonial American etc.) The Government would be similar like the United States, however the executive branch would be governed by 9 men elected from each continent and Asia would be divided into 4. ( The Middle East including the North African Countries, Central Asia, South Asia, and East Asia.) Oceania would be a continent, not just Australia. To pass a new law, 5 out of the 9 men must agree with it, otherwise the Congress can override it. There would be one Currency with pictures of men (or women) who have shaped this world for the better. ( Mother Teresa, Gandhi, MLK, Nelson Mandela etc.) Each Country would send 1 Delegate per 5 million people, all smaller countries would send 1 and then there would be a Senate like the US senate where each country would send two. The Judicial Branch would pretty much be the same.

Well, do you think it could work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 02:17 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
The problem is not boundaries, but possession.
A territory has more to do with possession (what I consider mine) than it has to do with boundaries.
The 2nd thing is (cultural) identity we consider everyone not like ourselves a stranger (read: threat). We divide people up in Western and non-Western or Christian and heathen.
I guess we still are stuck in Colonial thinking.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM

5,757 posts, read 13,323,224 times
Sounds like John Lennon's song, Imagine. Nice idea, but I can't see any way in the remotely forseeable future to move past that cultural identity that Tricky D points out, and all think of ourselves as just one big human family. Just as one example, can you really see the Palestinians and the Israelis actively cooperating in governing a shared worldwide state? The best we can realistically hope for from those groups in any forseeable time is an uneasy tolerance. Even that might be a stretch. Heck, even in the U.S. we see inter-regional competition and chauvinism, not to mention some serious animosity these days between the red and blue political camps. Another problem would be to actually get the whole world to agree on a form of government. I don't know. As I said at first, it's a nice idea, but I can't see it happening anytime soon. Maybe many, many millinnea from now, if we last that long.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM

878 posts, read 1,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
How does that sound to you? Think about it, almost every war in history has been over territory, lines drawn on Earth by Men. But what exactly do these lines define? After all, we are all people, we are all different and the same, and yet we divide ourselves through way of Imaginary lines, if you look at the Earth from space, you couldn't tell were one country ended, and another began. So, here is my concept of "A World with no Boundaries."
I disagree with your premise. Wars have been fought over cultural divisions: race, religion, distribution of resources, etc.

The first human tribe to make war on another probably did so to increase their chances of procreation. Take the women, make more children, get more resource, and make the tribe stronger. Every nation is just a group of people that drew a line and said "these are our borders, we will defend them."

Those lines segregate people, because in reality we are all different. Americans have different views and ideas than Canadians about how their respective countries are run. Same thing with the French and Germans.

National boundaries are more than arbitrary lines on a map, they are divisions between cultures. Removing those boundaries would require a single world culture that (generally) agrees on how to use, develop, and distribute resources.

I don't think that a single worldwide consensus on government would ever happen.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Humans aren't wired to live in peace and harmony with each other. We like to fight, and if we don't have a reason to fight, we'll make one up and call it good. I don't think there's any way the entire planet could function as a cohesive group unless there were some sort of outside force threatening us. Then we could possibly pull together and work as a group, at least functionally.

So yeah...when the aliens invade, that's when Earth will unite.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,858,778 times
boundaries are as natural as snow in winter. Look at the US. There are boundaries where white people don't venture into black neighborhoods or black people don't venture into hispanic neighborhoods. Gangs draw up unoffical boundaries marking their territories. We have Chinatowns and Little Jamaicas.

what I am trying to say is that, even if one were to abolish all boundaries....informal ones would continue to exist.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 AM

16,841 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Ultimately, it is a terrible idea. What it implies is a common set of values and laws, and a complete stifling of creativity. That sets humanity up for a single conundrum to become a complete disaster. Distributed systems are much more robust and resilient.

The whole premise is based on the fallacious idea that there is one perfect ideal, one perfect answer. What works in the Sahara doesn't necessarily work in Alaska, and engineers don't have the same temperaments and goals as artists, which don't have the same goals as farmers, and so on.

If anything, we need to get out into deep space, so that we have the true variety of experience that only comes from insurmountable distances.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM

239 posts, read 624,228 times
It's a great idea we could even eliminate money and just put a mark on our wrists and foreheads...and if any trouble makers don't like it we can round them up and kill them...and maybe just maybe there will be a global war that will kill one third of the worlds citizens ..pollute one third the oceans and one third the land...man this is a great idea where do i sign up??

Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,862,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
It's a great idea we could even eliminate money and just put a mark on our wrists and foreheads...and if any trouble makers don't like it we can round them up and kill them...and maybe just maybe there will be a global war that will kill one third of the worlds citizens ..pollute one third the oceans and one third the land...man this is a great idea where do i sign up??
...AAAAAaaaaaaaaannnd the far right makes a showing.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 PM

239 posts, read 624,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
...AAAAAaaaaaaaaannnd the far right makes a showing.
sorry to disappoint you not so far right as you may think ...just a little sarcasm at at dumb idea...humans love to kill ...we like to invent diseases ..better bombs...and faster easier ways to kill...but the scenario the op presented was right out of revelations with a little of the john birch society's worst nightmare.... i'll be you guys think giving up americas identity and forming the north american union is a great idea.... well it's happening so in a few years be proud when they lower the flag for the last time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or