U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:27 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times

Advertisements

My grandmothers were born in the 1880s; their father's fought in the Civil War. They were raised in the Victorian era, and because of it, or despite of it, I learned about the conflict between bias and tolerance at an early age. Through them I learned to look for the best in all people. To this day I strongly dislike what the KKK represented in the past as much as I strongly dislike the fact it is even tolerated in the 21st century. I believe there are a lot of good people in America who do not understand the implact great men and women of color such as scientists, authors, politicians, artists, actors, designers, singers. dancers, career military and others have contributed to the rest of us in the last two centuries.

Now we have a presidential candidate that is half-white. Some of us will vote for Obama becauase we like him. Yet others will vote for the other candidate because they are afraid of color and can't admit it.

After two hundred years of emotional segregation I think it is time to debate the color of fear in an attempt to understand it. This old white grandparent is voing for Obama and color ain't got nuthin' to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,543,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My grandmothers were born in the 1880s; their father's fought in the Civil War. They were raised in the Victorian era, and because of it, or despite of it, I learned about the conflict between bias and tolerance at an early age. Through them I learned to look for the best in all people. To this day I strongly dislike what the KKK represented in the past as much as I strongly dislike the fact it is even tolerated in the 21st century. I believe there are a lot of good people in America who do not understand the implact great men and women of color such as scientists, authors, politicians, artists, actors, designers, singers. dancers, career military and others have contributed to the rest of us in the last two centuries.

Now we have a presidential candidate that is half-white. Some of us will vote for Obama becauase we like him. Yet others will vote for the other candidate because they are afraid of color and can't admit it.

After two hundred years of emotional segregation I think it is time to debate the color of fear in an attempt to understand it. This old white grandparent is voing for Obama and color ain't got nuthin' to do with it.
Interesting discussion starter. I suspect that you and I are about the same age, but with radically different childhood experiences, but yes, I too am voting for Obama, and color does not have a thing to do with it!
I was raised in a "working class" neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. . . Italian, Irish, German. . . mostly. No one was "obviously" racially intolerant, but there was an underlying theme. With my dark olive skin and almost "instant" summer tan, I was suspected of being an "out of place" little negro kid, when I was very young. Our local public schools were (geographically) white only, but as I attended parochial (Catholic) grade school, I always had black classmates. It never occured to me to treat them any different than anyone else, but, I could not help but notice that there were some folks in the neighborhood that were noticably "tight lipped" when I brought a black friend home to play, and the older we got, the worse that was. It took me years to recognize, in myself, the "covert racism" resulting from these childhood influences. . . and many more years to reach a point of of NOT noticing "skin color" first! Very sad. When I was much younger, I believed that by the time I was "grown up", this sort of thing would no longer be a "problem", because I thought that intermarriage would be so common that everyone would be "in the middle". . . . . a simplistic and childlike view, but one that I feel sad has not happened. . . .

Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM

765 posts, read 1,680,569 times
I was raised down south and my grandfather was a member of the local Klan,i remember as a young boy crying when they would fire up a big 40 foot cross on Sat night because it was pretty scary for a little kid..I don't remember them doing much around town most folks knew who the Kluckers were and didn't give them trouble .But i do remember one incident where they warned a wife beater by burning a cross in his yard and when he continued to beat her they drug him out of his house beat the snot out of him and tarred and feathered him ..the beatings stopped ..Today i have no use for them or any other hate group over the years i have discovered jackass comes in many colors... yes even white...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,075,396 times
I had many black friends over the years. I remember a couple of incidents worth repeating. One year one of my friends of was reduced to tears for she had money for Xmas for her girls. I conned her into shopping for my own. It took her quite a while before she realized I was actually shopping for her. The last thing we bought was her tree. She was very silent when we took the packages into the house. I asked her what was wrong.
"How do I explain about Santa Clause this year?" Huh??? I was dumbfounded for an answer. She wouldn't tell me. I finally asked her what color her 'santa' was.
She hung her head and whispered, "Black." I told her she shouldn't tell her kids anything different; they would probably never meet me. I was right; I never did see them. It was the best hoiliday I ever had. Today that poor mother who had no highschool education and no money has a Masters in Sociology. .

A few years ago I was living in Chicago when I was invited to a wedding reception at he home of a mixed couple who had a four year old girl. They were both professionals who lived in a mixed neighborhood on the near south side in a nice home. Once everyone was settled I noticed the invisible divinding line. I finally decided the whole thing was stupid and I sat next the grandmother of the bride. We chatted for a while and pretty son the little girl come and asked me to take her outside. I asked grandma what she thought. We told child to ask her parents. Of course everyone was nervous. Kid and I took off and as soon as we hit the sidewalk there was 500 pair of eyes watching us. When I related the 'trip' to the parents, they laughed as said, "Yeah, it's a good place to raise kids."

We are all alike. We all want the same things. The only thing that separtes us is the fear of color.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,785,657 times
Great OP and great responses. I was going to add a vignette of my own, but the above are so much better than anything I could add.

I'm a well-to-do 60 plus year old white guy, military veteran, business owner and just about every other criteria you could name that would identify me as a "typical" Republican. I'm supporting Senator Obama (with my time, money and vote) based on the issues.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,597,255 times
Quote:
My grandmothers were born in the 1880s; their father's fought in the Civil War.
Good for you! What is the debate point? Moderator?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 AM

I do believe the debate is race relations compartively related from one generation to another..do you have somthing good to add new mex ??

Old 09-23-2008, 06:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,946,710 times
Quote:

As time goes by, even those of the Senior generation either already knew, or have figured out that color-based fear doesn't produce anything worthwhile. It only produces more fear; more ignorance; more distrust; more hate.

My wife and I are interracial, and have been married for 22 years. And although we've made more friends than we lost, we do recall losing friends after we got engaged. Actually, I lost none but she lost several friends--as did her parents.

People of color aren't to be feared. What people have always feared is the result of seeing and believing everyone as an equal.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM

19,272 posts, read 20,151,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
People of color aren't to be feared. What people have always feared is the result of seeing and believing everyone as an equal.
What you are implying here, then, is that people fear their own enlightenment? That they prefer ignorance?

I'm not being argumentative here; I just want to know if that's what you mean.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What you are implying here, then, is that people fear their own enlightenment? That they prefer ignorance?

I'm not being argumentative here; I just want to know if that's what you mean.
Of course why else would a person vote for mccain you my friend have solved the mystery .....thank you so much..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates